3770k non-delid + D14 passive

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thesmileyone

3770k non-delid + D14 passive

Post by thesmileyone » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:30 am

Currently running 3770k and a Noctua D14 with no fans. I have only 1 fan in the system - arctic F12 Silent (it's not, can hear the bearings, but they are 5 Euros new so...) and it never goes above 80C. I have not Prime tested it...because IMO it's useless running a synthetic load designed to kill a CPU, I will never run such a load so quite pointless.

Been searching to try and figure out if it has been delidded, because I bought it 2nd hand, and it appears like the IHS is not quite in the same place, 3770k isn't soldered so 80C is good for 24/7 crunching with no fans (I use it for F@H + Plex MediaServer) - case is pretty open though, so coil whine from the 1060 is louder than fan noise.

I am searching for the quietest cpu cooler currently which is looking like a D15 or possibly a beQuiet solution however people say the rifle bearings make noise on these. And it's all going to go into another case, most likely a 750d Airflow edition. Then Delid the cpu so I can run it 4.4ghz or preferably greater.

So tldr PSA for anyone into silent old capable hardware - 3770k will sit under 80C flat out at stock overclock 24/7

CA_Steve

Re: 3770k non-delid + D14 passive

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:20 am

Why not put the D14's fans back on and see how that goes?

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:44 am

thesmileyone wrote:I am searching for the quietest cpu cooler currently which is looking like a D15 or possibly a beQuiet solution however people say the rifle bearings make noise on these. And it's all going to go into another case, most likely a 750d Airflow edition. Then Delid the cpu so I can run it 4.4ghz or preferably greater.
NOFAN95 would be the most capable passive cooler you can find, reviewed by SPCR NoFan CR-95C Copper Fanless CPU Cooler, very likely will need to delid it to try to have shot to your 4.4ghz fanless, i still have my doubts, but really depends on the load you will be applying to it, the worst can happen is you dont reach it and have to dail it back.

thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:52 am

CA_Steve wrote:Why not put the D14's fans back on and see how that goes?
I ran them for around 5 years flat out (before realising what fan speed control was) with my desktop inside a desk, so the noise didn't affect me, in that 5 years I never dusted the PC and they jammed from dust and both broke, so they went in the bin. Also the fan clips had siezed and I had to cut them to get the fans off, you cannot seemingly buy noctua fan clips from anywhere for the D14.

I have a pair of SP120 Quiet Corsair fans here but they are 3 pin and run a constant voltage and they are very loud, also the connector doesn't fit into the LNA that came with them, it's too big. I was thinking of using wireties to fit them to the D14, but honestly I should just buy a D15 as the fans that come with that seem to be the best you can get except for Noctuas industrialPPC-2000 PWM's.

The problem for me is I am used to passive so even a little more noise is...noise.

Here's cinebench running 3770k passively

And here is 8 hours or so running F@H

thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:59 am

Abula wrote:
thesmileyone wrote:I am searching for the quietest cpu cooler currently which is looking like a D15 or possibly a beQuiet solution however people say the rifle bearings make noise on these. And it's all going to go into another case, most likely a 750d Airflow edition. Then Delid the cpu so I can run it 4.4ghz or preferably greater.
NOFAN95 would be the most capable passive cooler you can find, reviewed by SPCR NoFan CR-95C Copper Fanless CPU Cooler, very likely will need to delid it to try to have shot to your 4.4ghz fanless, i still have my doubts, but really depends on the load you will be applying to it, the worst can happen is you dont reach it and have to dail it back.
NoFan won't work with my DDR3.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:15 am

thesmileyone wrote:Also the fan clips had siezed and I had to cut them to get the fans off, you cannot seemingly buy noctua fan clips from anywhere for the D14.
Contact Noctua, they just sent me an extra pair of fan clips for my D15 free, you just need to send them your proof of purchase (scan of the invoice will do or pdf of your online purchase), and its very likely they will send you the clips.
The problem for me is I am used to passive so even a little more noise is...noise.
You should consider NF-A12x25 PWM, they are pretty nice fans for heatsinks. In my case i cant hear them below 800rpms, and they drop to 300rpms or so, i doubt you will even hear them at those levels.
NoFan won't work with my DDR3.
As an alternative you could remove the stock heatsinks and get some Enzotech memory heatsinks, they will fit below the NoFan95C (you can check the link on my signature of the cammi build), hard to find them though. But i would probably just Delid the 3770k and use the D14 with inaudible fans, unless you really into fanless.

thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:12 pm

I mean inaudible fans are great but experience has taught me they aren't inaudible. In a perfect world I would have them work like my GPU does. Below 60c the fans don't spin at all, then they go up in increments. But I don't think that is possible as I cannot firstly find quiet fans that spin down to 0rpm, and secondly I cannot find a way of controlling them that allows this.

Tonight I swapped the Arctic F12 SILENT for an SP120, as after handling it it was obvious the Corsairs are much more heavy duty in build quality.

THIS WAS A MISTAKE now my entire case is resonating and I can hear this deep hum from the next room. Dropped 10 degrees more though...

I need to buy a new case soon whilst this is good for passive it is no good for fans.

Wakoo

Post by Wakoo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:11 am

thesmileyone wrote:I mean inaudible fans are great but experience has taught me they aren't inaudible.
If you put a low enough voltage in any fan(and start them by hand), they can be inaudible, but they wont spin enough to cool anything. I can vouch for Abula about the A12X25. They are the only 120mm fan i ever had that still were doing work while being inaudible, i run them at 600rpm.

Now if you don't want to try the A12X25, and can't put a Nofan, you can take a look at the first. But it's mini-itx and 369€.

thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:44 pm

Ordered a Noctua but I ordered the wrong one... I have ordered Noctua NF-S12A PWM instead of Noctua A12x25.

Nevertheless the S12A has rave reviews as a PWM exhaust fan and only £17 so why not?

It should come tomorrow.

This Arctic is a good buy for £5 if you have a closed case I doubt you will hear the slight hamster-wheel esque rattle it makes. I think I can only hear it as my case has a side vent that's only a foot from my ears.

That's an interesting case and I will look more into that for a future build. I was going to get a DAN A4 v3 with something like a ryzen 2600/2700 and a low profile noctua and just underclock / undervolt it.

Every time I try PC gaming I get disappointed which frees up a lot of resources if I only require a passive 1050ti etc for watching movies.

thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:04 am

Fan arrived, and so much better, all I can hear is airflow when cpu maxed out, can't hear ANYTHING
with the pc at idle...like having the fan unplugged. Using the LNA.

It took me an hour of trying to get the tiny silicon "screws" to work before giving up and using the Noctua screws which just go straight through the case into the fan??? as they have no head retainer so I just ended up using the Arctic ones which worked perfectly.

I think I can only hear the airflow when maxed out because I am running my case with no front panel and no fans in the front either until I get a new case. CPU sitting at no higher than 70C so result.

So now I just need

New Case - wanted 750d airflow but might be too noisy so maybe fractal R5 non window

2x Noctua intake fans for positive pressure. I thinking of using the industrialPPC ones but heard the motors click?

delid 3770k

possibly new cooler - I don't like the size of the D14 it makes cleaning the inside tricky at best too!