Good motherboard/software for semi-passive cooling?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zx_primeidal

Good motherboard/software for semi-passive cooling?

Post by zx_primeidal » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:54 pm

I want to build a gaming system that can tackle full load and preferably overclocked CPU, but that stays silent during idle. My idea is to use the NH-D14 and a semi-passive GPU, and case-fans that turn on only when needed.

The problem is, that I'm not sure what the best way to set up such a fan-logic is. Are there particularly good motherboards for having 0 rpm as an option on all fans...?

Looking forward to hearing from y'all.

Abula

Re: Good motherboard/software for semi-passive cooling?

Post by Abula » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:12 pm

Asus on software (AI Suite III / FanXPert4) will allow you to stop fans if you after running the tuning (inside fanXpert) you enable the silent profile, this is only true if the can be stopped (some fans cant).

AsRock and MSI, both can do it on pure bios, you simply set up a lower PWM % until it will not spin and leave it until the temperature you wish to start, and the fans will be stopped until that threshold is reached (again depend on if the fans can be stopped).

Remember on 4pin PWM is much more reliable as there is no starting voltages like on 3pin voltage control fans, so take this into consideration.

zx_primeidal

Post by zx_primeidal » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:04 am

Okay great, that's good to know. I'll experiment with my brothers computer (which I gave to him) to see if I can make such a setup work there, before building a brand new machine for myself.

Would the NF-A12x25 PWM work well for this purpose, do you think?

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:26 am

zx_primeidal wrote:Would the NF-A12x25 PWM work well for this purpose, do you think?
Yea, the fan has a very wide operational range, around 300-2000rpms, each model will vary slightly, but as long as your motherboard can drop around 10% PWM or below, you should be able to stop them, both recent MSI and AsRock mothebroards should be able to do it, but one thing to keep in mind is sometimes some motherboards have fail safes on CPU_FAN headers (some dont), for example Asus motherbaords, at least till skylake with fanXpert software and entering silent profile, allowed all fans to stop (as long as they could be stopped) but the CPU, that was the only one that the software restricted out of Asus policies, IIRC i havent experience this neither with asrock nor msi, that said, i only use bios fan control with either, i dont like their software fan control.