Melamine and Sorbothane - interesting stuff

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Melamine and Sorbothane - interesting stuff

Post by Zyzzyx » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:50 pm

Just got my box from McMaster-Carr today. Ordered up two sheets of 2'x2'x3/8" melamine, and one 4"x4"x1/2" chunk of 40a durometer sorbothane.

First thing to say is... Sorbothane is WIERD stuff. Feels more like a gel than a solid. Rubbery and squishy. Sticky but not sticky. Just wierd. I cut two 1/2" strips and set my Cuda IV on it (previously had been sitting on a sock), and it took away any resonance to the case. Cutting it was a small challenge though. Used a utility knife and cut and peeled the strip off.

The melamine I'm not sure what I'll do with. I tried some mockup air channels last weekend with posterboard, wasn't pleased with the results. Not the sound, but the temps went up significantly. Maybe I'll try again. It is a very soft and squishy foam core, lined on both sides with a layer of 'crispy' foam. I think the description says its fiberglass, but I dunno. What I did notice was that the outside layers peel off real easy. Seems like using just the foam core would provide better sound absorbtion than having the hard-surfaced layers on it. The inside foam core is rigid enough to support its own weight, so it wouldn't completely collapse inside a case. I'd probably still make sure it was secured well, though.

I think I'll take this chunk of sorbothane to work tomorrow. Feel almost like a kid at show-and-tell with something really cool.

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:02 am

It's interesting playing with new materials, isn't it :)

This morning I picked up some acoustic deadening material from the only shop I could find in Sydney that sells it.. (more details in another thread I'll create tonight).. but I too feel like bringing some of this stuff around with me for show and tell :) This stuff is much heavier than you'd expect, and surprisingly, it has ZERO odor. My sister picked up a piece while I was glueing it into the case and she just loved playing with it (and she's in senior high!)

hyperslug
Patron of SPCR

Post by hyperslug » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:28 pm

I bought the same chunk of 4x4x0.5 sorbothane. Had a heck of a time cutting it w/ a box cutter but found that shop shears such as these cut through it cleanly and easily.

Semm

Post by Semm » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:15 pm

Just a thought...Anyone try a paper cutter on it?

Semm

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:48 pm

I believe you have to try cutting a thicker chunk of balsa wood with a box cutter before you've really had a heck of a time :)
hyperslug wrote:I bought the same chunk of 4x4x0.5 sorbothane. Had a heck of a time cutting it w/ a box cutter but found that shop shears such as these cut through it cleanly and easily.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:21 am

I used a metal straightedge and a sharp box cutter to cut mine. It is fun to try and cut because it moves around so much when you're cutting it. That's where the straightedge comes in handy, you can keep pressure on the sorbothane while you're slicing it.

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:29 am

Maybe for cutting sorbothane / melamine / acoustic material, it'd be best to get one of those big swing-down knife type tool thingies? The ones where you put the sheet on the top, with the bit to be cut off hanging over the edge, and you pull down a big blade?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:59 am

chylld wrote:Maybe for cutting sorbothane / melamine / acoustic material, it'd be best to get one of those big swing-down knife type tool thingies? The ones where you put the sheet on the top, with the bit to be cut off hanging over the edge, and you pull down a big blade?
That'd be a paper cutter, as Semm mentions several posts above this one. :)

rseiler

Post by rseiler » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:26 pm

One or more passes with an Xacto knife won't cut sorbothane?

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:16 pm

It cuts, but its like cutting extra-thick gelatin. Actually, that's about the closest physical analogy is if you were to make plain gelatin (not Jello) with about 2-3 times the normal amount of gelatin added.

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:21 pm

Professionals who cut the kind of foam in cushions use an electric carving knife. Anyone tried that? We're past xmas; your wife shouldn't mind.

fool

Post by fool » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:49 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:
chylld wrote:Maybe for cutting sorbothane / melamine / acoustic material, it'd be best to get one of those big swing-down knife type tool thingies? The ones where you put the sheet on the top, with the bit to be cut off hanging over the edge, and you pull down a big blade?
Surely that’s called a guillotine?

chylld

Post by chylld » Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:00 pm

fool wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:
Surely that’s called a guillotine?
Nah it's the paper cutter I was thinking of. I just don't cut paper that much so I forgot some stuff, I actually shouldn't have forgotten since I worked at a printery in high school. Oh well

How does the electric cutter work?

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:51 pm

chylld wrote:How does the electric cutter work?
Two side by side sliding blades, the type used to carve the xmas turkey.

chylld

Post by chylld » Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:05 am

Ooh.

hyperslug
Patron of SPCR

Post by hyperslug » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:16 am

rseiler wrote:One or more passes with an Xacto knife won't cut sorbothane?
mmm it's like rubber so it grips the blade as you're cutting and does all sorts of contortions. And it takes more than 1 or 2 passes, this stuff is tough. I can see how a straight edge would help out big time, shoulda thunk of that.

chylld

Post by chylld » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:46 am

one thing I learnt from having to cut acoustic foam/barrier mass material was to make absolutely sure that you won't have to trim an edge afterwards, because it's incredibly hard to cleanly take off 2 or 3 mm of the stuff. must be even harder with sorbothane :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:52 am

chylld wrote:one thing I learnt from having to cut acoustic foam/barrier mass material was to make absolutely sure that you won't have to trim an edge afterwards, because it's incredibly hard to cleanly take off 2 or 3 mm of the stuff. must be even harder with sorbothane :)
Yes, it's basically impossible to cleanly shave off or cut off just a bit of the sorbothane.

chylld

Post by chylld » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:59 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:Yes, it's basically impossible to cleanly shave off or cut off just a bit of the sorbothane.
I want some now :)

Ralf, have you found a way to actually affix the hdd to the sled via sorbothane? I don't like the idea of just letting it rest there, as sticky as it may be.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:06 am

chylld wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:Yes, it's basically impossible to cleanly shave off or cut off just a bit of the sorbothane.
I want some now :)

Ralf, have you found a way to actually affix the hdd to the sled via sorbothane? I don't like the idea of just letting it rest there, as sticky as it may be.
Nope, mine's just sticking to the sorbothane and held in place but the IDE cable and power plug. I'm not in the habit of picking up my case and shaking it around (and even if I did, I bet the drive would still stick to the sorbothane anyway, it's really sticky!) so I don't worry about it. For the occasional time that I tip the case over on it's back to do something inside, I first wedge a piece of foam between the top of the drive and the underside of the drive cage to hold the drive in place. This works just fine.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:21 pm

I'm right there with ya on that one, Ralf. I have my drive just resting on two strips of sorbothane on the bottom of the case, and those strips aren't even glued to the case. The stuff really is quite sticky, yet releases cleanly and without residue. Its just REALLY COOL. I've been using my remaining 3"x4" piece as a substitute 'stress ball', works great. ;)

DGK

Post by DGK » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:42 pm

I made almost the exact same order from mcmaster as Zyzzyx. Have not tried cutting the sorbothane yet though (I am building a new system and waiting on some of the stuff). I do have to admit that it does have a funny feel to it though. I am going to apply the melamine to the case this weekend probably but that should be pretty easy.

rseiler

Post by rseiler » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:48 pm

If Google is to be believed, Sorbothane's most common use is in shoe insoles.

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:46 pm

that's what I found. Perhaps it's more economically feasible to mount our hdd's on shoe insoles/inserts/heel supports? :)

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:18 pm

DGK wrote:I made almost the exact same order from mcmaster as Zyzzyx. Have not tried cutting the sorbothane yet though (I am building a new system and waiting on some of the stuff). I do have to admit that it does have a funny feel to it though. I am going to apply the melamine to the case this weekend probably but that should be pretty easy.
Hi, DGK. Welcome to SPCR forums! If you ordered those stuff from McMaster-Carr you must have been lurking around for a while :-)

Did you by any chance pick up some fan isolators and Polymeric Mastic with your order?

I haven't applied the polymeric mastic yet, I plan to layer it with the melamine. Still trying to decide if melamine foam is more effective with or without the fiberglass layer.

hyperslug
Patron of SPCR

Post by hyperslug » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:24 am

Hi, DGK. Welcome to SPCR forums! If you ordered those stuff from McMaster-Carr you must have been lurking around for a while
DGK

I'll say. He should be welcoming us to SPCR! :D

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:14 am

hyperslug wrote:
Hi, DGK. Welcome to SPCR forums! If you ordered those stuff from McMaster-Carr you must have been lurking around for a while
DGK

I'll say. He should be welcoming us to SPCR! :D
Well, he may not post much but he obviously picks up on the important stuff!

DGK

Post by DGK » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:57 am

Thanks for the welcome guys! I have been mostly lurking for the past few months and taking some notes. I finally started buying components for a new computer in December and plan on finishing it sometime by the end of this month - I hope :lol:

Lenny: I did order some fan isolators but I didnt get any of the polymeric mastic. I figured I would use the melamine foam and after building my system I will do more if it requires it. Since I am buying the components carefully focusing on not getting anything that will be very loud the melamine may be enough on its own.

rp

Post by rp » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:48 am

Sounds more or less like the same material my "Squeze to train fingers and lower arm" ball is made of. Great playtoy...

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:13 pm

just ordered some 40 OO 8)
Last edited by Trip on Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.