Single Folders (aka Green and White folders)

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Single Folders (aka Green and White folders)

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:14 pm

The "big folders" get all the ink, but 1/3 of our teams points come from "green" and "white" folders, i.e. members who contribute less than 1000 points per week. I use the term "Single Folder," but that's just what popped off the top of my head. Maybe "Green Folder" would be more PC.

Some of us are really "into" Folding, and have built "farms", or have "Borged" machines at work or at school, but although we may be "louder" or "more colorful", it would be wrong to overlook the importance of all the 300, 500, and 700 point per week folders that contribute a darn big chunk of SPCR's weekly output.

Rusty075. I don't know how long Rusty has been folding, but he churns out 500 points per week, like clockwork, to the tune of 33K points.

Let's run a little "thought experiment": 500 points per week times 52 weeks = 26K points = 19th highest total on the team. 500 PPW over a long period of time adds up to a LOT of points.

NeilBlanchard is another "Green folder" contributing 500 PPW, 21K total.

Mormakil plugs along with some relatively antiquated hardware :P to the tune of 176 WU's, 7000 points. BTW, I have to say Mormakil, you are one of my heros. You tounted me and encouraged me when I was so far behind you, you never thought I'd catch you, but you also encouraged me when I was building my "farm". You, my friend, are a team player.

Some members have been more serious in the past, but continue to fold "part time". WarpedPlatter, Wrah, Fredster, Metaluna, DanOnKeys, powergyoza, PagMaster, riff, jvanleven, Fastman, shunx, wussboy, DaShiv, Mynci, Choy, etal.

It's important to keep in mind that one reason this became a distributed computing project was that the problem was and still is too big for even the most powerful supercomputers on Earth, but throw a few hundred thousand people and their PC's at the problem, over a long period of time, and great things can be accomplished. We fold for something greater than ourselves, greater than our team. Every single WU completed is one more step toward the understanding of Alzheimer's, Mad Cow, Parkinson's, and other deseases which plague mankind.

It's not my place to say, but Thank You to everyone who contributes their time, energy, and resources to the effort. It might all amount to nothing. And then again, it might all amount to something!

David
Last edited by haysdb on Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:27 am

Hear, hear!! I would be one of those 'modest output' folders, and I'm quite annoyed with seeing this-

No one currently threatens the_crate

Would love to flip up the stats one day and see some newly initiated folding dynamos crunching big numbers at my end of the rankings on their way to loftier company!! As i'm sure for others as well, it's constant discipline that gets the (slowly but surely) big scores.

Anyway, well done all and keep it up!! I mean, what could be worse than being passed by a motley bunch of Jobs disciples!! :)

David.

(folding as the_crate)

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:27 am

Edit: removed double post :oops:
Last edited by TheScarf on Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:32 am

Thanks for the acomplishment haysdb. I couldn't explain my family to have a farm in my house, so for the team's sake I have to encourage others to do so :D . Well, now my production it's base mainly in my 2500 Barton (@2.01GHz) which is 24/7 except when I can't sleep. The other boxen in my house are now ramdomly turn on and gives some WU from time to time, but I'm not turning them on only for F@H. BTW when deadline passes, does stanford gives some points when unit is finally completed?

The "funny" thing is that my brother's PC is Folding really often (a 900Mhz AMD without SSE, about 50 points a week maybe) but for another team :twisted: , my brother is kind of a traitor, but hey he miss it, I was going to buy him some 1.3 Duron or something but not if not giving the points to SPCRs :roll:

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:58 pm

Couldn't agree more guys. :D

'Well said' to all of you.

Still at least we lower at the echelons see a faster percentile (Wow, does that word exist?) increase.

Iv'e enjoyed seeing my meagre points rise dramatically and am making the most of it fully aware that it will effectively slow.

Just smile and say "Ah yes, but it's still growin" :lol: (Have I got two threads mixed up? :lol: )

No, honestly it was nearly funny, honest. :? :lol:

Heh 'TheScarf' just thought, maybe you could start an 'Inverse' stats page for the likes of us...
Though I don't think "Bottoms Up" would be a good name for it. :lol:

Anyway gonna stop typing now, I'm wasting precious cycles :lol:

Pete

herosformula

Post by herosformula » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:43 pm

For quite some time, I was running with a single computer 24/7, which managed to stay in the upper 20's lower 30's. Before I added two new computers a month ago I was at 27, now I am at (drumroll) 22, so there has not been a huge leap in ranking so far.

Keep it up, even single computer points add up over time.

Sam Williams

Post by Sam Williams » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:57 pm

Anyway, well done all and keep it up!! I mean, what could be worse than being passed by a motley bunch of Jobs disciples!!
I only have one machine, but I can't just stand by and let that happen... Count me in.

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:16 pm

Nice one, Sam!
As for me, my three boxes fold fairly constantly, but the jewel in the crown will be convincing my housemate that his dual 2400MP system needs something to keep it warm at night.... 8) I think it may be soon....
Send out the cry: "Get thee away, false idolators, and heathen Mac users!!"

(p.s. not a mac hater at all, just havin fun, but lordy, don't those pretty-case fetishists deserve it?? :D )

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:34 pm

Pete,

Just had a thought, which may be appropriate since our scores are rather close atm;
instead of 'bottoms up :roll: ', how about "the march of the silenced lambs"
Yeah I know, buts its holidays for me and I have too much time on my hands. :D

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:18 am

Yay Sam! Welcome aboard mate!

NeilBlanchard

Thanks...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:25 am

Hello David:

Rusty has been folding a *bit* longer than I have, and he also had a fairly large "farm" for a while, too.

I was about the 17th person to join the SPRC Folding@Home team, and I was as high as #5 (briefly; dicing it out with Fred and others) and so at my current position (#25), I'm as *low* as I have ever been. I have two machines, one fast (Athlon 2100+ @ 2gHz) and one slower (Athlon "Classic" 700), and it really depends on the units I get. My PPW vary from 350 to 600+.

ALL we need is 2 or 4 people like me active -- and we could stave off the Mac OSX team! :wink:

I built an Athlon 2500+ for a client, and if he agrees to keep folding, you should see MAudin climb through the ranks of the *gray* folks.... :o

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:08 am

I'm building a XP2000+ system for a friend on the condition that she lets me put folding on it and that she keeps it on most of the time. That will put me up to 4 processors on most of the time. But I still can't seem to get higher in the rankings! :(

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:52 pm

wussboy, putting myself in your shoes, and all those in a similar position, that has to be frustrating. It's easy right now for folks like Frank and mas and myself, 'cause we see progress nearly every day. It's more difficult when you remain static or even slip a notch here and there.

FWIW, I consider you one of the "big guys", not for your points, but because of the enthusiasm and sense of "fun" you instill in every post. It wouldn't be a stretch to say you are one of the reasons I stuck around after I first visited this forum. I came, I looked, I asked a few questions, and because of the sense of "community" I found here, I stayed. For better or worse for everyone :!: :lol: :twisted:

David

Sam Williams

Post by Sam Williams » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:05 pm

Thanks for the warm welcomes, guys! Should be adding my first points to the total in ~30 hours.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:49 pm

Sam Williams wrote:Thanks for the warm welcomes, guys! Should be adding my first points to the total in ~30 hours.
Yee HA!

riffst3r

Re: Single Folders (aka Green and White folders)

Post by riffst3r » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:07 am

haysdb wrote:Some members have been more serious in the past, but continue to fold "part time". WarpedPlatter, Wrah, Fredster, Metaluna, DanOnKeys, powergyoza, PagMaster, riff, jvanleven, Fastman, shunx, wussboy, DaShiv, Mynci, Choy, etal.
OY! this here computer folds 24/7. :P

it's a 2G Northwood on a 845E board with 256mb of DDR 200 ram. not really top end stuff... there was a time i had about seven other durons/celerons each of 700 odd megahertz, but that was back when i was a network administrator in a crappy university's computer lab. ah those days in the top 20.

anyhoo, FOLD ON! :D

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:00 pm

haysdb wrote:FWIW, I consider you one of the "big guys", not for your points, but because of the enthusiasm and sense of "fun" you instill in every post.
I get that from chicks a lot too. :?

But seriouisly, thanks for the kind words. I plug away as best I can.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:16 am

Dammit! That's funny! How come no one laughed? You all suck.

P.S. I am not needy or starved for attention.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:32 am

So I guess its not now many Ghz you have, it's how you use it.

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:14 am

wussboy wrote:Dammit! That's funny! How come no one laughed? You all suck.

P.S. I am not needy or starved for attention.

Well, you never stated what part of you they thought was big! I mean, in my case, the most obvious candidate is my gut! :D

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:39 pm

I'm sorry man, I didn't get it. :?

But now I do. :shock: :oops:

:wink:
Last edited by haysdb on Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:32 pm

I finally got my ADSL back (!)

/me wipes the dust of his computers

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:40 pm

Wrah, does that mean we can expect your output to increase to something more than 120.50 PPW? :twisted: :P

Seriously, that's great news for the team. As I remember, you have been on dial-up, which has brought your folding efforts to a virtual standstill.

Speaking of "big guys", Wrah has contributed 27K points to SPCR's folding efforts. That's not small change. Getting you back in the mix bodes well for us, and ill for dem Mac dudes.

Welcome back Wrah!

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:49 am

Page 2 of the stats is looking a lot healthier now than it has. Less gray, more white, and even a few sprinkles of green.

The combined points for those folks on the "second page" of the stats makes them the second highest folder on the entire team, ahead even of Lockheed!

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:43 pm

Sadly, I'm on the first page only because I've been doing this since the beginning. However, I will not go gentley into that good night.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:00 pm

Congratulations are in order for the following members, who have each hit their first major Folding milestone of 1000 points. Click on the links to claim your certificates. :D

Afzan
Pete_Amer
TrekNW
lazybum
likif
madlee
the_crate
wisefool

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:39 am

1000? 2000 not far ahead now :twisted: ..

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Post by monkiman » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:03 am

I'm green for the first time! :twisted:

Not too many grey folders ahead of me now

10K here I come - kudos to the recent members to cross that threshold

ColdFlame, Semm, Jaik

soon to be joined by wgragg

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:25 am

Nice one monkiman!! I'm desparately trying to hang on to yellow atm, and get onto the first page of stats.....(folding as the_crate), and next update should see 2000 points :D

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Post by monkiman » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:51 am

and back to white

it was good while it lasted...must borg