Oh B******s

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Oh B******s

Post by peteamer » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:18 pm

Just talking to my better(?) half and said that my main comp. and my 'part time' Lappie (courtesy of work) are both 1/2 way through current foldings.

"Oh Good" she said.

"Yes" said I,... "hopefully should stop 'the_crate' (The Scarf) getting too far ahead". (in a friendly way)

"Still" she said "Your Lappie is only on night times"

"Yeah..... unless i get an inverter so it can fold in the car during the day"

Think I was only joking. :?

Has anyone else got any better examples of 'extremism' ? (and yes... I have thought of the 200MMX in the loft to fold for Genome :roll: )

Come on boys... hoping for some back up here :oops:...... please :?

Pete

chylld

Post by chylld » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:31 pm

Have you taken your medication yet? :)

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:45 pm

Do you think it's that bad???? :oops:

Pete.

Mind you.... 23 views and your the only one to comment chylld.

Therefore I'm hoping your in the minority :roll:

OK.....

Pete

chylld

Post by chylld » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:07 pm

I was just joking :)

Your situation reminds me of the days when I was playing this game called Utopia - a web based realtime strategy game. I was so hooked - wanted to log on every spare minute of the day to train my troops or whatever.

Anyway.. what did your wife say to your inverter suggestion?

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:18 pm

Chylld....

Realised you were just joking.

Do you really need to ask about the other? :lol: :cry:

Pete.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:54 pm

Please do not mention Utopia, I have been clean for so long now...

That game is truly addictive

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Oh B******s

Post by dukla2000 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:04 pm

peteamer wrote:Has anyone else got any better examples of 'extremism' ?
Well I did run 1 or 2 WU on a 233MHz Pentium - took about 40 days IIRC!

Have managed to refrain from firing up FAH on my laptop while on a plane (my job involves about 70 flights/year - actually that is past tense - I resigned in the last hour :D )

But what the hell - treat yourself to that invertor! Maplin keep having them on special, and it will have so many other uses as well. :lol:

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:56 am

Hmmm..

Just found this post, and seeing as how I'm back at work now, I'm going to have to silence the boxes even HARDER, so no-one knows they're folding, and they dont get turned off while I'm gone!!! Thought I had found your measure Pete, but we'll see what unfolds (yep, I know, thats bad :roll: ) in the next few days...

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:21 am

Hmmm....well I don't know how extreme it is, but I take my laptop home, plug it in and fold away. Unplug it to take it back to work, then fold some more. I'm also installing the program on as many computers in 3 separate libraries as I can. Nice being in charge of all the comps!

Now if I can just figure out why it won't start up on my xeon server......

Wendell

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:39 pm

When I packed my Lappie up this morning to put it in the car,
I was quite vexed to find that it was not far off of finishing a WU. :cry:

So when I arrived at a customers today, knowing I was probably going to be there a couple of hours, I took it in, unplugged their shredder and plugged my Lappie in 8) .

I got a bit of a blank look when I explained that I needed the points to beat TheScarf to a 1000pts. :twisted:

Just realised I'm wasting cycles playing a CD on my comp :shock:

Phew,... Girlie wants to watch a TV prog. That's that dilemma sorted. :wink:

Think I might revert to my older optical mouse that 'updates' at half the rate 8)

Now.... what else.... :roll:

Pete

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:48 am

I think I chose the wrong day to reconfigure all the machines in the house to run as services with firedaemon, in the process of which I put the wrong team number in one and had two instances of F@H running on another for a bit, not that I'm making excuses, Pete... :)

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:49 am

I think I chose the wrong day to reconfigure all the machines in the house to run as services with firedaemon, in the process of which I put the wrong team number in one and had two instances of F@H running on another for a bit, not that I'm making excuses, Pete... :)

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:17 am

Scarf

Wouldn't have thought that for a moment..... 8)
except when I lose my F@H icon and hit the shortcut, It tells me that it's already running. :roll:

And I think it is worrying you... well you seem to have the shakes over something :lol: (Obviously I would never double post)
(Well.... not again :oops: )

By the way I'm typing this quickly as I want to get it off as my last 'green' post before I become a 'yellower' later tonight. :shock: 8) 8)

No... sitting protectively by the comps. with a large steak knife and thousand yard stare chanting "I dare you...Go on, Make my day" is perfectly normal. :roll:

Seriously though Scarf, (May I call you that?) I'm not really taking the race to 1000 points seriously, just a friendly bit of... encouragement. :lol:

"What's that Darling?"... "No! I'm definately NOT going to tell them I.....er.... 'accidently' :roll: left my Lappie at home today."

"No Pet, I didn't realise I'd left it on as well" "Whoops....Silly me" :twisted:

Folding to all

Pete

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:45 pm

:D

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:45 pm

peteamer wrote:I got a bit of a blank look when I explained that I needed the points to beat TheScarf to a 1000pts. :twisted:
That's laugh-out-loud funny. All the more so because I can see myself doing it. :D

David

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:36 pm

Pete,

You're gonna love this, when the next two WUs finish today, I should be on 998 points.....thats close enough isn't it??? :D

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:46 pm

Having just checked Arachnid stats, I'm.....errrr...going now and I'll be back in a couple of days......

ps. Well Done Pete!! 8)

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:13 am

Cheers Scarf.

Mind you looks like you'll pass me soon according to the current stats :wink:

Having said that..... got home and watched my main rig upload a WU,
thought 'Oh yeah, better plug the Lappie in'.

Now pacing like an expectant Father,
hoping it will finish it's next WU and upload that before the stats are updated next. (For maximum effect) :oops: :lol:

You know that one too haysdb?.... please say yes :?

Scarf you've got me out gunned, so it's inevitable you'll pass me... but I'm gonna run as fast as I can for as long as I can :lol:

Mind you if I type too much/quickly I gotta stop for a cigarette. :shock:

And what with me being a bit of an oldie...

Power to your folding.

Pete

P.S. Stats have just updated and my Lappie only needed a couple of minutes :cry:

P.P.S. Does anyone know how often the stats pages at Stanford are updated?

Scarf... Damn that last update was close :shock: I can feel you hot breath on my neck :shock: (Thinks... gonna have to overclock and get M/B for my Athlon 1.4 GHz in cupboard) 8)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:16 pm

peteamer wrote:Now pacing like an expectant Father,
hoping it will finish it's next WU and upload that before the stats are updated next. (For maximum effect) :oops: :lol:

You know that one too haysdb?.... please say yes :?
Oh yeah, DEFINITELY. I found myself staring at 10 green bars this morning, and realizing the next WU would not finish for another 90 minutes, decided I might as well go to work. :D I'm addicted.

It is pretty typical for one of my blades to stop folding. I don't know whether they are freezing or aborting. When I see that light turn yellow in EMIII, I go into a panic. The other morning I awoke to red across the board and just totally freaked out. My server had crashed not long after I had gone to bed, and the whole damn farm had spent the night doing NOTHING. Even my Windows machines were showing red, either because their DHCP leases had expired, or because they had finished a WU and could not get another due to the DNS server being down.

Have I passed herosformula yet? AAAGH, 3 points short at the last update!

[Edit] Oh no! He's pulling away from me. Now he's FIVE points ahead! :lol: [/Edit]

David
Last edited by haysdb on Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:29 pm

haysdb I feel for you.

I completely understand.

What's really scary though is that BIG points don't seem to help,
you 'big' boys are still affected too. :shock: :shock:

And I've got a long way to go..... till..... I'm still affected :shock: :o :cry:

------------------------------

I originaly started this thread to... get some reassurance that I wasn't too bad/extreme. :wink:

I got just that. Cheers Boys :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well...... till it dawned on me that the replies I/we got were infact just a very small fraction of the no. that read and post on this forum :shock: :shock:

I guess some things are best... left unsaid... left alone etc. etc.

Come on chaps, don't just sit there and think " I know that feeling, I've done... etc.".
Let us know we're not alone, let us laugh at you too...i mean sympathise/empathise, help cary your burden.

Oh allright... it'll just make me feel better :oops:

Still, the good news is that my last WU is in the latest update and... Oh God.. here I go again !!!

Pete

P.S. what is EMIII ?

P.P.S. haysdb, my girlie has just said, (to your farm... stalling) "I'm surprised he hasn't got alarm bells and sirens going of in every room"

Don't know whether to tell her it's a good idea... or if she's taking the... 'mick' out of us. :?

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:49 pm

Pete, EMIII is electron microscope, a F@H monitoring tool that even has an SPCR skin(designed by trc-13?)! In essence, its just another excuse for the likes of you and haysdb to get freaked out when a little green light turns red, and elephant bellows from the lab and a light bulb flashes. :D :D ....google electron microscope and folding and you'll find it. Search the forums here and you'll also find heapsof useful info...worked for me!

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:02 pm

Yep, EMII actually helps me here at work because I know right away when we are having problems with a web server, network switch, or just loading.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:18 pm

miker, I am afraid that your last post is the most weird post of them all. Not only are you addicted to Folding, you have also found ways to actually make it usefull. Or maybe that is just the addict in you trying to defend what you are doing:p

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:22 pm

Hey, I am too busy adding machines to sympathize.......Besides, I am not addicted.....I am not addicted......Ok, I guess just a little.......

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:09 pm

TheScarf wrote:...just another excuse for the likes of you and haysdb to get freaked out when a little green light turns red...
I resemble that remark!

No, I was really just trying to make peteamer feel better. He's obviously mentally disturbed, but, you know, he folds for us so we need to humor him. :twisted: Me? I don't get excited about such trivia. :roll:

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

David

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:11 pm

Scarf

You must have added Nitreous as well. (mmm,.... thinks,.... maybe Turbo and injection as well)

Your now well ahead and storming on.

Well done Matey. 8) 8)

Sir, I salute you... and pass you..... 'The Flag of the Newbies' , to carry on to greater glory.

Long may your reign continue and your loins be blessed with the fruit that you so deserve.

Now... must go to the bank tommorrow and get a loan for ..... a car, ...yes..... that's it. :twisted:

A few thousand should do the job, get me a nice little farm that. :twisted:

Must also write a list of my customers that I can cajoule... I mean enlighten. (In my name :twisted: )

Yes... Fitz's... theve got near 1000 terminals... (rubs hands)Hee Hee Hee :twisted:

Where's that book of Voodoo?...

Back in a minute Boys.....

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:50 am

Cheers Pete, with a little diligence and any esoteric/arcane methodolgies that fly through your cosmic ether (sorry, was the nitrous for the pc?? 8) ), I think you'll close in on the top 100 before you know it... :D

Speaking of which, the milk crate(which I should point out is 'folding' green, check the ghetto gallery, errr, general gallery) spoke to me last night and said "My 333 memory needs someone to level with, and I'm getting jealous of the XP2500 next door!" Time for some weekend retail therapy methinks..

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:14 pm

Its been a good weekend for silent folding, and the local pc store....The milk crate now runs a xp2500 Barton slightly o/c'd which is cooler and as a result, quieter than the xp2000 it replaced, the main rig has a 7000AlCu running another 2500 in the low 40's with decent o/c and the fan @~7V. I want to see 1000/week in the next update!!

ps. Any nixtous oxide left Pete?? :twisted:

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:49 am

All out of the nitreous I'm afraid :cry:

Might have to resort to a diet of 'Baked Beans', then lighting my farts :lol:
(Now were talking extreme) 8)

Have to make sure your pointing in the right direction for best results though 8)

Nicely done on the escalating score :D BTW.

Pete

Folding to all.

P.S. not that I'm stirring.... but did you see this Hee Hee :lol:
should provoke a response or two :twisted:

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:25 pm

/OT I must say, Pete, that quite obviously, there are those amongst us that could do with having their cultural and literary horizons widened and I think you've started with a particularly appropriate and pertinent phrase. The cultural "fast-food philistines" could do with a little more of your enlightenment I should think!! :P *has a tug at pipe and brushes meadow mud off brogues* /OT

Back to business, machines are running(folding) like troopers, and I'll let you know what its like to be on the first page of EOC stats shortly... :twisted:

ps. Saw a list somewhere of appropriate songs to fold to, and I thought, what better than to be sipping a dry martini on a balmy evening with your partner of choice, and the pc sitting in the corner unobtrusively folding away while the middle-aged mediterranean men in the cabaret outfit on the balcony impress you and your babe with a sultry rendition of "folders in the night..."