Interesting Races and Folders-on-the-Move

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:33 pm

David - Congrats on your passing into the sub-20 ranks and knocking me back to the #20 spot!

Scott

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:58 pm

Sorry about that Scott. :twisted:

David

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:30 pm

Not a problem, David. It's not like I had a chance against the farm, anyway.

I'll just be happy when the PPW on our sigs updates to show that I'm finally ORANGE!

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:32 pm

IIRC, the stats for the sig are over a two week period instead of the one week that EOC uses.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:53 pm

The farm definitely brings "superior firepower". The server and five blades = 10.7 GHz, with a "Speed Rating" of "14,000+", and ~3000 PPW.

It's not currently producing to that level because of instability with two of the blades, but I'll get that worked out. My goal is a consistant 5000 PPW from the farm plus three P4's.

Lenny, your own "conquests" list is quite the who's who list. Rusty075, Dukla2000, mike_chin, aphanos, tangled, tragus. Those last two guys are even orange!

David
Last edited by haysdb on Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:53 am

Phew, CoolGav got pushed to overtake me at 8am Nov 14, 2017 :P
Now have to do something to avoid being overtaken the first time in my folding career, currently scheduled for Jan 31 2004 by Mr. Semm and then by Mr. wgragg 5 days later :)
Keep on folding guys!

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:34 am

I'm facing that right now. Wendell (wragg) is gearing up to be a supreme folder for us. As he passes I'll be giving him a pat on the back and a big cheer.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:50 am

Will that be a "Bronx cheer?" :D

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:57 am

Bronx cheer, raspberries, whatever. I take any and all attention (Just ask my wife after I tell a horrible pun). I am so glad everyone here is such a good sport! How about some folding songs as we toil away!

Folding....Folding on the River......

Let's Get Foldable

Bridge Over Folding Processors

Old MacDonald had a (Folding) Farm

Any others to add to the list?

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:28 am

I couldn't tell you any song wragg, I'm so confused after you and CoolGav overtaking me as Carl Lewis would overtake a tourtle :cry:

At least I know I'm helping as everyone else to keep that Mac guys away.

Keep on Folding.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:35 pm

Mormakil, is 'tourtle' the English (as in British) spelling? Like color vs. colour?

David
who is J/K ;)

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:25 am

Yes, I thought about tourtle being well or wrong spelled as I wrote it, and I believe that's the British way to spell it. You know, here in Spain the "right" way to speak English is supossed to be the British way and I've been in Ireland twice so. But, you always mix things when you learn a foreign language and spell one way or another, it must be funny to read/listen to it if your mother tongue is Englist, like when I hear Bush saying to my president (thank God, he won't be the president in two months time): "Gracias, señor" or "Andele" which is more like Mexican Spanish.

PS: I didn't catch the "who is J/K" joke
PS2: Really offtopic, should we start a languages differences thread? :?

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:36 am

Hehe, it is Mexican Spanish. He grew up in Texas and this Tex-Mex (as we call it) is very common. It is the only Spanish that most of us are exposed to. I grew up on the Mexican border and that is all the Spanish I ever heard. Now, I understand that the interior of Mexico uses a dialect that is closer to Castilllian Spanish.

It is interesting to listen to some in this state, including the president, who say things like "nucular" rather than "nuclear". My wife simply cannot say "wash" correctly. To her it is "warsh". I told her that when she does her prelims (she is a doctoral student), not to use that word in her oral tests.

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:43 am

I have nothing against Mexican Spanish, I don't believe one way of speaking Spanish to be better than others, just different. It just seems funny to me and more funny is the fact that Bush obviously can't get the difference and he wouldn't care anyway. But he can't get a lot of things though :lol: :(.

Myself, I was born and raised in Venezuela, so when I came to Spain, people thought I speak in a funny way, but then I changed my way of speaking, now people couldn't tell the difference. Maybe I should have keep Venezuela's way of speaking, because girls here like it :wink:

Semm

Post by Semm » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:08 am

Quick note: G@H crashes my k6-2 475...Soooo, folding it is. I'll just have to leave it on 24/7...Overnight last night it did an impressive 12 frames of 400. :roll:

Semm

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:17 pm

mormakil, "who is j/k" = "who is just kidding" = "I am just kidding". I wasn't sure Mr WinkyFace was quite enough disclaimer. :D

I have had the privilege of living in a foreign country for almost 5 years. You haven't heard a language mangled until you hear me speak Portuguese. :lol:

I love the fact that this forum has members from around the world.
wgragg wrote:My wife simply cannot say "wash" correctly. To her it is "warsh".
My wife suffers from the same affliction, except she says "worsh". :lol:

David

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:51 pm

Better than the Cleveland pronunciation of "car", which strangely ends up as "khaar".

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:38 pm

haysdb wrote:mormakil, "who is j/k" = "who is just kidding" = "I am just kidding". I wasn't sure Mr WinkyFace was quite enough disclaimer. :D

I have had the privilege of living in a foreign country for almost 5 years. You haven't heard a language mangled until you hear me speak Portuguese. :lol:

I love the fact that this forum has members from around the world.
Ok, it's hard to learn all the abreviations (is that a word in English? :D) you (mainly Americans) love to use :P. We don't use many of them we just writte the whole word :P, it's ironic that some people think Spaniards are lazy :P :lol:

Well you haven't heard me speaking English :lol: . Well, if my mother hear me saying this she would claim the money spent in teaching me English back :) . It's good for me to at least write and read English often thanks to this forum, as you should notice I'm starting to forget it and making lots of mistakes :(

I agree, it's great to know people all over the world.

BTW, did you make any short trip to Spain?where?

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:54 pm

mormakil,

I made a few trips to Spain. One of the guys I worked with had a sister in a little town in south central Spain, Linares I think was the name, in the middle of millions of olive trees. He and I drove down a few times from Lisbon. I was surprised how much parts of Spain reminded me of the old Clint Eastwood westerns. :lol: One trip we did a whirlwind tour down to the south coast. All total I didn't see a fraction of what I'd have liked to.

I should not make jokes about misspellings or grammar. Not everyone's first language is English, and most Americans (including myself) don't even speak a second language. Tourtle did strike my "funny bone" though. :D

David

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:59 pm

Heck David, many Americans can't spell or speak their first language correctly! Having worked for 7 years in the public schools, I saw first hand how illiterate many of our kids are going to become. It is almost as if English is a second language to them.

Wendell

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:35 am

Wragg: unluckily that's happening not only in the USA. Here kids have mobile phone from as early as 12 years old and they start sending sms (I don't know if you have that word in American English, they are short text messages send through the mobile phone). That's nothing bad by itself, but in order to say what you want you in less than 160 characters you have to shorten words. So phrases like "Hola, que tal estas, quedamos esta tarde para ir al cine?" are written: "Hi,q tl?,qdamos sta tard xa ir l cine?" And there are worse examples, so nearly the only opportunity kids have to write outside the school, they write wrong and don't learn how to correctly spell words (not as difficult as in English but you can make mistakes).

Haysdb: I've passed by Linares when going to South Spain (Andalucia). And not only Spaghetti-Westerns were made in South-East Spain (Almeria), huge films from the 50-60s were filmed here, as the Cid, Spartacus I think too and many more but i can't remember any.
Yes, you should have visited more places in Spain, like Madrid or Barcelona, or cities like Salamanca (not far from Lisbon), Segovia, Avila, there's a lot of history in this "little" country :D. And you would be surprised if going to the North how different Spain can be, all green and a lot of rain. Well, I'll have to call Spain tourist agency to pay me for the propaganda :lol:

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:27 am

Funny to hear you talking about old Dubya (which is what we call President Bush Jr in the UK - its his pronounicaion of the 'W' in his name). There's quite a lot of things said by the Americans we British find amusing, although being fair, we find ourselves funny too. When Dubya and Laura came for a visit last year there were mass protests in London, and they came up with a quote about hardly seeing anyone who wasn't in support of them. I think next US elections Bush should win and therefore not be in office, just to show him how it was for the other guy.

I can't forget Bart Simpson once asking what language was spoken in England!

I'll admit my spelling isn't great, and I make mistakes, but I'm glad I can say hello in a few other languages. Its humbling when I go abroad and the locals speak better English than many English people.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:29 am

mormakil, I was in Madrid twice, but both were quick in and out so I didn't see much. I drove past Barcelona (Barthelona) in the middle of the night in the rain. Does that count?

There was a place, I don't remember where, that we spent a night. Someplace not far from the south coast as I remember. I remember two things. One hell of a long drop right at the edge of town, and a Roman bridge over a deep chasm. It was so far down that cars looked like ants. That bridge was one of the most incredible feats of engineering I have ever seen, and it was OLD. Cool place.

David

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:31 am

the locals speak better English than many English people
I'm with you, coolgav, I think English, notwithstanding any other language, is a wonderful language. All the nuance and confusing contray rules make it special in my opinion.

That being said, for the short time I learnt German, the more rigid logic(?) of it was a relief...I merrily screw my english up all the time, and will continue to make jokes at its expense.....Fortunately, I have that luxury, which as others have said, will be a dying artform in the sms age. *jumps off soap-box*...speaking of which, is that a saying particular to Aust., or is it all over the place?? soap-box, that is...

mormakil

Post by mormakil » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:39 am

Haysdb: Just out of curiosity why did you write (Barthelona) ? And no, that doesn't count as a visit :) It's a pretty nice place specially since the Olympics. I prefer it over Madrid. A very modern city and really nice people, and I like how Catalan sounds, but I can't speak it. That's not a common opinion as people outside Catalonia tend to don't like them speaking their language, but that's mostly because people don't care to know the language or their bilingual situation.
The bridge you mentioned, it came to me one or two that may be, but I don't know their names or where they are.

CoolGav: Dubya have a strange sense of humor, he's kind of hard to defeat. I heard in the news about the Martin Luther King's birthday/death aniversary, people shouting at him and he acting as if nothing was happening.

TheScarf: Everybody thinks about his/her language being special over the others :D. Myself don't understand why a language can't be written as it sounds :P. About German, I guess why you stopped learning it ;) I'm thinking about leaving it too. It's not only till I started learning German that I realize how easy is English to learn :D

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:32 pm

mormakil, my friend learned Castillian (?) Spanish, and he "lisps" his c's into th's. I need to shut up. I'm just getting myself in deeper and deeper. :lol:

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:42 pm

MAudin posted his first points on Jan 9, and has since produced a consistant 2+ Work Units and 80 points per day.

dasman, one of our newest folders, has completed 20 WU's in his first 6 days, worth almost 1000 points.

kaid contributed his first WU Jan 7 and since then has consistantly completed 3 WU per day for Stanford, and is already up to 2700 points.

Pete_Amer posted his first WU Jan 3, and has since averaged almost 3 WU per day, for a total of 2700 points.

Randlee deserves some special distinction for being "orange" on EOC Stats and yet contributing work for a grand total of 4 days:

Code: Select all

Date      Points  WU
01/28/04    129.40   3 
01/27/04    719.90  15 
01/26/04  1,266.70  26 
01/25/04    501.60   9
Randy, it's too bad you couldn't find an excuse to keep those servers for a bit longer!

the_crate has elevated his game since Jan 13 and is now solidly above 1000 PPW, making him a solid "yellow" folder for Team SPCR.

Afzan has reached the Top 100, with a steady 90 PPD.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:26 pm

Criminy...

wgragg has gone... plaid!!

err... I mean, he's gone red.

wgragg

Post by wgragg » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:39 pm

Just barely. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts, but it is nice to see it!

Now if we could just make those Mac guys green with envy!

"Folein'! Foldin' on the River!"

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:13 pm

You are on my "Potential Threats" list wgragg. Have been for a few days already. That's a first for me. Up till now, I ain't never been passed, and I ain't lookin' forward to it neither. Luckily I have a big head start.

David