Aural Tests

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ahrbruz
*Lifetime Patron*

Aural Tests

Post by ahrbruz » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:50 pm

OK:

Mike C lives in Vancouver, and Ralph H lives in SouCal.

They are the gurus of SPCR. Hmmm. A test. There are several SPCR members that live in the GVRD. I f we could organize a real tour: have both listen to our systems, and rate them, record the info: then post it, everyone would benefit.

I'm trying to definiate this forum through actual usage, not numbers generated on tech devises.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:56 pm

definiate ??

Not sure just how useful this exercise would be tho. It would help individuals know how quiet their systems are relative to others, but no one elase at SPCR would really benefit, would they? I think I will keep working on my noise recording system...

wisefool
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by wisefool » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:13 pm

I thought this thread was going to be one of those ABX tests or something (you play 2 audio files through a program that allows double blind testing, and try to figure out which sound the same.)

hmmm okay so assuming air passage and time are not issues, you're thinking about sponsoring worldwide tours to have Silence Professionals do a consultation on your system?

Need funding! It could be a consultant system where you have people come over and check your hardware out (kinda like TV calibration people). One would need a large, consistent enough source of customers willing to do this. Gets expensive fast too. At work we have some ultrasound machines, to have a field guy come take a look at it it's about $100 an hour in travel time. Then comes labor, parts, etc.

*fortunately* computers are cheap enough if a system is quite noisy it may be much more cost effective to just get someone to build one for you. say ARM systems or a few other vendors that may specialize in this.

We could also have corporate sponsors on a TechTV show or something. I can't quite picture what type of show you could have.

<fade in>
Mike: Here we have your basic beige box. We're going to do this testing with our trusty Corporatesponsor-brand Ultra Noise Tricorder Detector. By the way, if you are interesting in trying this out, you too can get one for just $7999.

<focus on beige box. Static from TV signal.>

See how quiet this is?

<focus remains on beige box the next 30 minutes.>

==

Show gets cancelled and replaced by a Reality TV show: "LAN Party: A group of hardcore gamers and the life they lead. The green goo in the fridge, the cold pizza, the endless drive towards perfecting cheep shots."

==
Okay more seriously now. You mean you want more descriptive ways to characterize sound? I've seen MikeC do that in his reviews, something like, "The fan makes a whooshing noise that has a much kinder noise signature. To my ears they fade more easily in the background."

I enjoy that writing style as well, it helps me "picture" the sound. However I think the quantitative measurements (noise readings, benchmarks, etc) are essential. The trick with these is making sure they are valid tests.

Many benchmarks are rather silly, they measure device A giving 2000 FPS, then device B giving 1988 FPS, then they say device A is by far the best because it has 23,000,000 transistors. Never mind margin of error, they didn't tell you that they tested device B immediatly afterwards without rebooting between tests.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:01 pm

wisefool -- very funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:18 am

wisefool wrote:<focus on beige box. Static from TV signal.>

See how quiet this is?

<focus remains on beige box the next 30 minutes.>
:lol:

ruprag