Enermax NoiseTaker UK suppliers?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Sooty

Enermax NoiseTaker UK suppliers?

Post by Sooty » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:30 am

Plenty of retailers with the standard versions, but not the NoiseTakers.

From what I can make out, the 'AX' models are the new versions, and the 'P' models the old versions.....correct?

So anyone know a UK supplier for the NoiseTakers?

shathal

Post by shathal » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:57 pm

I'm looking for the Noisetaker 475 myself (to become available in Europe in May). It's a right pain in the ass to try and find them in the UK.

The best (or, at least, friendliest) continental retailer is this place over here:

www.nygl.com

I've really not found anything (yet) in the UK that sells them. A tad annoying, but oh well... :)

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:54 am

Thanks shathal.

My business computer died on me yesterday - I need to get this ordered by lunch-time today. Unless someone knows of a UK stockist, I'll have to go for an alternative PSU. How quiet are the standard Enermax's?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:58 am

They're not. Thus the reason I was highly skeptical of MikeC doing a review on the NoiseTaker.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:28 am

Sooty - The Enermax that MikeC reviewed is definitely an anomaly, as far as Enermax PSUs go. Don't judge the entire line on one quiet PSU. Enermaxes are not quiet, no matter what they print on the box.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:37 am

I went for a Zalman Z300A (to keep alive a 333mhz Celeron / 32MB RAM / 4GB HD). Also ordered a Samsung 40gb (hard drive died too) and an extra 64MB of RAM......but I decided against the water cooling :P

I'll make sure I get a genuine NoiseTaker for my new P4 2.8 set-up, and not the standard Enermax.

Thanks for the advice, Guys.

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:02 am

Just to ask/correct something ...

From what I understood :
- "Enermax NoiseTaker EG475P-VE SFMA" is the one MikeC reviewed and available in the US, with no (or passive) PFC
- "Enermax NoiseTaker EG475AX-VE(G)SFMA" availble now in europe (e.g. 1000ordi.ch,fr) and has the Active PFC, as it is mandatory in EU.

but apart from the PFC circuit, they are exactly the same (?) [same product pages]

(for input on active/passive pfc and impact on noise, see other threads)

shathal

Post by shathal » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:34 am

But ... but ... but ... HOW did you find that one?

I was searching for WEEKS, and have been told I've yet to wait, yet that swiss site HAS them already? Sheesh :). *THANKS* :D

As far as your question is concerned, I remember MikeC has explained this once (though I can't find his post for it at the moment). The difference is in essence nil.

It makes the PSU a little "greener", is all, it should not affect the workings. MikeC / Ralf - any corrections on this part?

Incidentally, they the PSU's can also be gotten at their French site:
http://www.1000ordi.fr/products.php?p=ad2211

Why's the french site of interest? Because (albeit CHEAPER) the swiss site DOESN'T accept credit cards. Bleh. Gits. :)

*seriously contemplates ordering right away*

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:42 am

shathal wrote:But ... but ... but ... HOW did you find that one?
because that shop is (almost) the only one selling antec cases in switzerland, and I appear to be living here. You may also visit less french-speaking websites than me ;)
They are also pretty fast on new products (already pre-order for Antec Aria, for example).
It makes the PSU a little "greener", is all, it should not affect the workings. MikeC / Ralf - any corrections on this part?
Answer was (IIRC) maybe a little bit, as the circuit uses some power, but not significant, giving the troubles getting "P" ones in EU.

Why's the french site of interest? Because (albeit CHEAPER) the swiss site DOESN'T accept credit cards. Bleh. Gits. :)
because credit cards are insecure and are more expensive :lol:

shathal

Post by shathal » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:09 pm

dago wrote: because that shop is (almost) the only one selling antec cases in switzerland, and I appear to be living here. You may also visit less french-speaking websites than me ;)
They are also pretty fast on new products (already pre-order for Antec Aria, for example).
Yeah - no shit. I was quoted early-late May for these critters to become available in Europe. Wonder what (a-?)moral buisiness means they use to be able to do this :).
dago wrote:
shathal wrote:Why's the french site of interest? Because (albeit CHEAPER) the swiss site DOESN'T accept credit cards. Bleh. Gits. :)
because credit cards are insecure and are more expensive :lol:
While (partially) true, they're a LOT more convenient and make international ordering.

*reads the french terms + conditions*

Hmmm - there's a few things in there which I quite dislike :(.

- Shipping without insurance (from them)
- They won't replace product due to shipping damage, lest the courier is informed (and what do they care, if the parcel is not ensured).
- They'll only replace the product if THEY think the part was damaged?

This stuff is rather off-putting (compared to the terms + conditions I'm used to read).

dago- how much of a pain are these guys usually for an RMA? (though cross-border RMA's are usually a pain ... :( ). Not that I hope having to replace the PSU, but the PSU is something where I'd feel more comfortable in having that peace of mind...

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:58 pm

I'm sorry shathal, but I won't be able to help you on this one ...

- made only 2-3 commands
- shipping was "national", and the swiss post is pretty good, IMHO. Which makes that I didn't experienced any problems.
- no RMA on products from them
- for the terms/condition : I usually only looks at the manufacturer's warranty service ;)

So, maybe you'll have to wait until your shop have it.

BTW, the french price comparators now has many shop with this psu (altough I never used any of them) - see here. Which means that this is definitively available in continental europe.

shathal

Post by shathal » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:17 am

Yeah, I know - look here too:
http://www.monsieurprix.com/listing/gen/J000074303.html

I've e-mailed Enermax's german guy the chap from www.nygl.com - shall see what I get out of their response. The french terms + conditions REALLY don't sit well with me. I'd rather get a better deal than that ... so hope they'll be available "soon" somplace with better conditions :).

So - how's it behaving, dago? :D

shathal

Post by shathal » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:09 am

EUROPEAN CHAPS/CHAPETTES - CAREFUL!

I just received the following from Maxpoint, one of Enermax's German disti's/associates. I asked them how come that the noisetakers were sold in France, but nowhere else. Here's what I got back.
Hallo,

die Noisetaker die in Frankreich verkauft werden haben ein Problem, fragen Sie mich bitte nicht
welches.
Wir bekommen die endgültige Version in ca. 6-8 Wochen.
Sie können dann aber auch unsere Niederlassung in UK namens NANOPOINT UK kontaktieren.
www.nanopoint.co.uk

mfg

A.Banoutsos

MaxPoint
Handelsges. mbH
Schleemer Weg 34 - 38
22117 Hamburg (Germany)
www.maxpoint.de

Fon +49 (0)40/731098-0 (central)
Fon +49 (0)40/731098-46 (direct)
Fax +49 (0)40/731 511
[email protected]
What's this mean in English? Let me translate :).
The Noisetaker that are sold in France have a problem, please don't ask me which one.

We will receive the final version in ca. 6-8 weeks. You can alo contact our UK branch - "NANOPOINT UK"

www.nanopoint.co.uk
A warning that I figured I should pass on!

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:08 am

I don't planned to buy one, just here to help, so I don't have any impression...

But that stuff from maxpoint sounds also like competitor bashing ... and I don't know german culture and language enough to know if "fragen Sie mich bitte nicht" means
- don't ask me because I don't know
- don't ask me because I can't tell
- something else ...

if he really knows there's a problem, then he should know which one, otherwise it's just pure competitor bashing ... but they may have a problem as well ...

anyway, wait and go to your local distributor to hear it. Those PSU are quite common and it shouldn't be difficult to find a local shop with one to hear/buy.

shathal

Post by shathal » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:05 am

I'd be very surprised if this were a case of competitor bashing. German work ethics don't usually spring that way an awful lot. I'd personally rate it as "there's a problem, and I can't tell you.".

Hence my immediate reaction of posting it here, just in case. :)

edz

Post by edz » Tue May 25, 2004 4:16 am

I asked at aria and they say that they should have them within a week. (They have 320, 370, 420, 470 models listed).

If anyone gets one tell us what you think of it. Thanks.

mr_pickles

Post by mr_pickles » Tue May 25, 2004 6:08 am

shathal wrote: It makes the PSU a little "greener", is all, it should not affect the workings. MikeC / Ralf - any corrections on this part?
Well, I'm not MikeC or Ralf, but one thing about the active PFC version is that you don't have a switch for input voltage (it "autosenses"). A minor point but it would have prevented/precluded this:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=12764

edz

Post by edz » Thu May 27, 2004 2:34 am

They're in stock now: aria

shathal

Post by shathal » Sat May 29, 2004 11:30 am

Thanks mate - GREAT find with Aria ... :).

*Ordering his own copy now... :)*