Sorbothane: this stuff is cool!

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Sorbothane: this stuff is cool!

Post by wumpus » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:18 pm

After reading about it so much here, I finally got around to buying a 12"x12"x1/8" sheet of Sorbothane.

I didn't go out of my way to buy it, but it just so happened I was placing an order at a science equipment type store (long story) and I had been thinking about getting some, and they had it. So I added a sheet to my cart, figuring, why not? Of course, as with a lot of the other odder materials we discuss here, you're better off going through McMaster-Carr for better selection, larger quantities, various sizes, etc.

http://sciencekit.com/search.asp?t=ss&ss=sorbothane&c=0

Anyway, this Sorbothane stuff is VERY neat. Extremely tacky, soft, and dense. Just in handling it, I can see where it would damp drive type vibration extraordinarily well! I've seen it discussed most in the context of hard drives which have both a lotta of mass and a lotta rotation. But in my research on the material, I found many other intriguing uses for it in old usenet posts:
  • to stabilize giant, homegrown telescope movements. Evidently the sorbothane does a dramatically better job at reducing vibration than generic rubber type compounds.
  • for runners, to reduce heel shock. Evidently it is VERY durable, and will outlast many pairs of shoes (?) That's surprising given the intense wear implied in a pair of well-used running shoes..
  • for freakishly high end audio enthusiasts, to stabilize turnables/speakers and the like. Not sure I even want to go there, but if they can "hear" the difference, more power to 'em.
  • recoil pads for firearms. I assume so it's easier to fire off multiple rounds from the bell towe.. uh, firing range.. without compensating for as much recoil between shots.
  • plus of course the hard drive isolation we do here with it.
Everything I've read supports the uniqueness of Sorbothane. It does seem to have unique damping abilities not found in other, more readily available materials. Plus, it's cool. And you want to be cool, don't you? :D

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:21 pm

I got some of that recently and it is very weird stuff. Sticky almost like gum, but it doesn't stick or rub off. Running shoes have been using this stuff for awhile for cushioning.

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:13 pm

seems rather spendy to me..... $16 a sheet? (ya can get a "lady of ill-repute" for less! :wink: depending of course on how many beers you buy her first :wink: )

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:19 pm

Even Ralf Hutter charges more than that. Although it is true, his skin is soft, tacky, and pliant just like sorbothane.. mmm..

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:23 pm

ROFLMAO!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(RALF: hit him! I didn't say it! :wink: )

shathal

Post by shathal » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:26 am

But isn't the question ...

... does he take Credit Cards? ;)

*flees* :D

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:45 am

shathal wrote:But isn't the question ...

... does he take Credit Cards? ;)

*flees* :D
Sorry, non-CC Paypal or Krugerands only.

munichkid

Post by munichkid » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:16 pm

Take an IOU?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:08 pm

munichkid wrote:Take an IOU?
We had a saying back in high school: "Gas, Grass or Ass, nobody rides for free".

Same thing applies here: No payee, no playee!

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:05 pm

Maxamus wrote:can i buy this in the UK????
I'd be interested to know too....see my thread on external enclosure vibration http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=12226

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:11 pm

Semi-answered the question myself...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3093576775

Only pads...but perhaps you could ask if they can offer it in larger or exact amounts...

axle

Post by axle » Mon May 03, 2004 7:50 am

Wumpus: Have you tried this stuff out yet? It looks fantastic, but you think 1/8" is thick enough?

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Mon May 03, 2004 1:52 pm

Yeah, 1/8" is definitely thick enough. I had the same concern, but once I got it, the thickness seems perfectly adequate for computer / HDD usage.

If you're concerned you could always double up on the pieces you cut-- eg stack 1/8" on 1/8" for a total of 1/4", but I doubt that will be necessary.

axle

Post by axle » Tue May 04, 2004 6:08 pm

Perfect, thanks! Shame, I just placed an order with McMaster... oh well.

I can't wait to get it; with Panaflos these days, fan noise is basically (for me, at least), a non-concern; it's the HD. In a SilentDrive it's reduced 85%, the only thing left to do is stop the vibration...this stuff looks perfect!

Great find.

axle

Post by axle » Tue May 11, 2004 5:18 pm

You know, damnit, I'm just not a very smart person. I got 4x4 of 1/2" at 50 Duro, and sticky (and oh do they me sticky on all 6 sides). It's really cool stuff, and probably works great, but 1/2" is way way WAY too thick. And expensive. $7.

I wish I'd listen =}

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Tue May 11, 2004 6:24 pm

I'm shooting for 6 inches of sorbo in my case :D

Yeah, 1/8" is more than thick enough for all but the craziest of applications. Heh.

PhilgB

Post by PhilgB » Tue May 11, 2004 7:16 pm

I was thinking of using this stuff to dampen three harddrives, stacked one on top of the other, then strapped down. Is it sticky enough to keep it from moving from side to side? Also, do you think 1/4" might be better because of the weight of drives on top?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue May 11, 2004 7:27 pm

PhilgB wrote:I was thinking of using this stuff to dampen three harddrives, stacked one on top of the other, then strapped down.
The rising heat affecting the upper drives would stop me from doing that.

Putz

Post by Putz » Tue May 11, 2004 11:17 pm

Wow... correct use of the verb "affect" (vs. noun "effect") -- my respect for MikeC continues to grow...

(Sorry; for some reason, in the past month or two, I've been noticing a lot of misuses of both the verb and noun. Possibly aggravated by the Fisherman's Friend commercial -- the most poignant and high-exposure example that comes to mind. And I've got a mild genetic case of OCD, so it really bugs me when I know it shouldn't. Nice to see it done right, though! Also sorry for the OT post.)

PhilgB

Post by PhilgB » Wed May 12, 2004 2:36 am

The drives will be in front of the air intake and possibly have a fan. Cooling will not be a problem, just wanted to know how much trouble I would have keeping them in place.

Blackeagle

Post by Blackeagle » Mon May 17, 2004 6:28 pm

I've used sorbothane for years on my competitive shotguns. It makes a big differance when shooting a 200 target program....with a 12ga.

And it does also speed up follow up shots as part of what it does is steady the gun in recoil, preventing what is called recoil bounce.