Fan and fan controller questions...

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Richdog

Post by Richdog » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:57 am

amjedm wrote:Was going to ask for pics, but after the above will wait...
Wise choice my friend... wise choice. :D

On a side note I do have an Enermax Galaxy 850w here but was shocked to find a shitload of the cables are unsleeved... how dodgy is that considering the retail price of it? :shock:

It's getting sold asap...

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:00 am

Richdog wrote:
It's getting sold asap...
Hexus :)

My Noisetaker doesn't have sleeved cables :(

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:30 am

Please could you post back when you receieve the stuff you imported from jabtech? Wether you got charged any import taxes to the UK, and their service in general, etc.
Also, would be very grateful if you could say how long it took fior the stuff to arrive.

I am going to place my order very soon and might aswell wait for your feedback about taxes before I place, as im in no rush...

Many thanks,
Sital
[size=75]Antec P180B Windowed | 4x Yate Loon D12SL-12 | 2x Sunbeam Rheobus | Intel E6600 | Asus P5K Dlx | Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme | BFG 8800GTX OC | Corsair HX-620 | 2x 1GB Crucial Ballistix 6400C4 | 2x 500GB WD SE16 5000AAKS | Samsung SH-S203 DVD-RW | LG GSA-H30N DVD-RW | Logitech G5 | Logitech MX1000 | Logitech G15 | Ratpadz XT | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 | Samsung SM-226BW 22"[/size]

Richdog

Post by Richdog » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:11 am

sitalchauhan wrote:Please could you post back when you receieve the stuff you imported from jabtech? Wether you got charged any import taxes to the UK, and their service in general, etc.
Also, would be very grateful if you could say how long it took fior the stuff to arrive.

I am going to place my order very soon and might aswell wait for your feedback about taxes before I place, as im in no rush...

Many thanks,
Sital
Goods have arrived, woo-hoo! I was correct in my assumption that they wouldn't include delivery charges when stating value of the items... the boxes came straight through... and no note from customs!

Delivery took a total of 8 days from my payment on 2/04/07 to actual delivery to my house on 10/04/07... not too bad methinks!

Going to email Jab-tech to say thanks, and start recommending them on my home forum http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/ when I moderate.

My rig is looking damn sweet now... swapped the OCZ GameXtream 700w out for a Corsair 620w and as well as the cabling being soooo much tidier, the thing is a hell of a lot quieter! I have changed it so I have the PSU fan facing up and exhausting from the case... AND the top two 120mm fans I have changed so that they now intake instead of exhaust... and it's dropped my temps 5c as well as reduced the fan noise now that they aren't flowing against the grill! I have kept the rear fan as exhaust though.

Tommorrow I will receive my Noctua NH-U12F and am curious to how I should position it now that the top fans are intake instead of exhaust. I am guessing it would benefit from the extra airflow the top fans provide by aiming it so that the heatsink is facing with the fan blowing downwards so maximum surface area is getting the benefit of the airflow. I would also wager that I could run it completely passive due to these top fans intaking cool air straight down into the case... but as the Noctua fan is so quiet I really don't think that will matter much.

ANyway my rig is now looking fricken awesome... and it's quieter and cooler to boot. Woo-hoo! :D

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:27 am

Richdog - when is the thread appearing in the General Gallery forum :)

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:31 am

Thanks Richdog, 8 days is very impressive from the USA!

I would also love to see some more pics :D

I think I may go ahead and place my order now, but my order totals to around £50 which is well over the £18 threshold for import duty.

Does anybody know how much import duty I would get charged and how they calculate it?

Thanks,
Sital
[size=75]Antec P180B Windowed | 4x Yate Loon D12SL-12 | 2x Sunbeam Rheobus | Intel E6600 | Asus P5K Dlx | Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme | BFG 8800GTX OC | Corsair HX-620 | 2x 1GB Crucial Ballistix 6400C4 | 2x 500GB WD SE16 5000AAKS | Samsung SH-S203 DVD-RW | LG GSA-H30N DVD-RW | Logitech G5 | Logitech MX1000 | Logitech G15 | Ratpadz XT | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 | Samsung SM-226BW 22"[/size]

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:43 am

Check the first link for HM Customs (or to put it another way - the second link)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... CcountryGB

Might be advisable to call the Helpline (number listed in the link)

Richdog

Post by Richdog » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:02 am

amjedm wrote:Richdog - when is the thread appearing in the General Gallery forum :)
When its finished. :p:D
sitalchauhan wrote:I think I may go ahead and place my order now, but my order totals to around £50 which is well over the £18 threshold for import duty.

Does anybody know how much import duty I would get charged and how they calculate it?
Here you go... wade through this lol... http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort ... _CL_000230

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:36 am

Richdog, on the package they sent please could you tell me what it had on the sticker for the TARIC code, or description of the contents? Thanks

After a lot of reading up about all this imort stuff into the UK, I think I have finally got my head around it all.

You can be charged 3 different taxes when importing:
* customs duty
* excise duty
* import VAT

Customs duty - Charged as a percentage of the value. The percentage varies depending on the type of goods and their country of origin. Duty is charged on the price paid for the goods including any local sales taxes plus postage, packing and insurance costs. However, postage is excluded from the calculation for duty on gifts sent by post except for Express Mail Service (EMS).
Note: Customs duty will be waived if the amount is less than £7.

Excise duty - Charged on alcohol and tobacco products, so not relevant for computer equipment :)

Value Added Tax (VAT) - Import VAT is charged at the same rate that applies to similar goods sold in the UK (17.5%). The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the value for customs duty plus any import duties charged.
However, Import VAT is not payable on commercial consignments (eg goods purchased over the internet) with an intrinsic value not exceeding £18

Here are some tables showing the amount of customs duty and TARIC codes for different types of goods:

Common Internet Goods:
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort ... ROD_009989

Computer goods:
http://www.uktradeinfo.com/Codes/classg ... 202007.pdf

Calculator to work out customs duty from TARIC code:
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dd ... ap?Lang=EN

Under the computer goods list, I could not find any section referring to computer fans or anything like that. However, the majority of the pc equipment had 0% customs duty, so hoping fans will be 0% :)

As my order will exceed £18, I am guessing that I will only have to pay import vat of 17.5% of the value.

EDIT: Found the correct taric code for computer fans is 8414592090 ("axial fan") which has a customs duty of 2.30% so as the customs duty for a £50 purchase is less than the £7, they shouldnt charge it...