Western Digital AAKS - 500/750GB vs. 320/640 GB noise

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
alexb
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 3:04 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Western Digital AAKS - 500/750GB vs. 320/640 GB noise

Post by alexb » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:10 pm

I was looking through specs posted on WD website and noticed an interesting thing:

WD SE16 750GB and 500GB
Acoustics
Idle Mode 28 dBA (average)
Seek Mode 0 33 dBA (average)
Seek Mode 3 29 dBA (average)


WD SE16 640 GB and 320GB
Acoustics
Idle Mode 25 dBA (average)
Seek Mode 0 29 dBA (average)
Seek Mode 3 26 dBA (average)


Why there's a difference in noise characteristics? Are they totally different drives? different platter design or motor?

Note: as of today, the 640GB is removed from their website?!

KenAF
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat May 17, 2003 4:32 pm

Post by KenAF » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:36 pm

The 640GB WD6400AAKS and [updated] 320GB WD3200AAKS are based on Western Digital's new, higher density 320GB platter. The older 500Gb and 750Gb versions are based on <200GB platters.

The new 320GB product code is WD3200AAKS-00B3A0. The B3 tells you that it is the new version. Manufacturing on this unit began on January 21.

I just got my 320GB WD3200AAKS-00B3A0 today and it produces noticeably less noise than my older 750GB WD7500AAKS. It produces even less noise than my Samsung HD501LJ.

Ace of Spades
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:18 am

Post by Ace of Spades » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:26 pm

may I ask where you ordered this new 320GB model? I am very interested in purchasing this drive for storage usage. Thanks!

KenAF
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat May 17, 2003 4:32 pm

Post by KenAF » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:30 pm

Ace of Spades wrote:may I ask where you ordered this new 320GB model? I am very interested in purchasing this drive for storage usage. Thanks!
As I noted in another thread, I got them from this ebay seller.

When you submit payment with Paypal, specify in the note that you want the new WD3200AAKS-00B3A0 version.

Tomson
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:08 am
Location: Slovenia, EUROPE
Contact:

Post by Tomson » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:30 am

KenAF: If comparing this new series to GP line, is the noise level of both drives the same, or is the GP still less noisy?

KenAF
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat May 17, 2003 4:32 pm

Post by KenAF » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:38 am

Tomson wrote:KenAF: If comparing this new series to GP line, is the noise level of both drives the same, or is the GP still less noisy?
Unfortunately, I don't have a GP drive in my PC to compare.

Edwood
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:48 pm
Location: My Secret Laboratory

Post by Edwood » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:17 pm

KenAF wrote:The 640GB WD6400AAKS and [updated] 320GB WD3200AAKS are based on Western Digital's new, higher density 320GB platter. The older 500Gb and 750Gb versions are based on <200GB platters.

The new 320GB product code is WD3200AAKS-00B3A0. The B3 tells you that it is the new version. Manufacturing on this unit began on January 21.

I just got my 320GB WD3200AAKS-00B3A0 today and it produces noticeably less noise than my older 750GB WD7500AAKS. It produces even less noise than my Samsung HD501LJ.
I read that the access speeds were quite slow.

http://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/sho ... p?t=332031

Do you notice significant speed difference (for better or worse) compared to your old WD7500AAKS?

-Ed
"Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you are."
-Brillat Savarin

Edwood
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:48 pm
Location: My Secret Laboratory

Post by Edwood » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:18 pm

Oh well, I placed an order for two 320GB WD3200AAKS B3 rev.

I guess I'll find out for myself.

-Ed
"Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you are."
-Brillat Savarin

Otter
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 3:38 am

Post by Otter » Sun May 04, 2008 1:34 am

Edwood wrote:I read that the access speeds were quite slow.

http://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/sho ... p?t=332031

Do you notice significant speed difference (for better or worse) compared to your old WD7500AAKS?

-Ed
The current WD drives never win win the seek or access time trophy, but they do very well in other benchmarks and their real world performance is very competitive. Check out these tests from this speed-oriented sites below. The first one also features the WD7500AAKS, and the 640 usually edges out the 750. Given the relatively small contribution of the hard drive performance to overall system performance in most situations, though, I doubt many people would notice the difference.

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14380/1
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdo ... i=3269&p=2
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 238,00.asp

Post Reply