Heatsinks that fit on ABIT IP35 Pro in Antec Solo

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Monolith

Heatsinks that fit on ABIT IP35 Pro in Antec Solo

Post by Monolith » Thu May 08, 2008 12:45 pm

I plan on getting an ABIT IP35 Pro motherboard and an Antec Solo case. I was also thinking of getting the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme for the CPU heatsink, but then I noticed posts by mkygod and WR304 in this thread figuring that the heatsink would not fit that configuration. So, does anybody have this motherboard and case, or can tell me what recommended heatsinks fit? Thanks.

DrJ

Post by DrJ » Thu May 08, 2008 3:39 pm

The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme fits just fine without any case modifications using the IP35 Pro in a Solo. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it in the case, but it does fit.

Monolith

Post by Monolith » Fri May 09, 2008 7:33 am

Oh, cool. I'm glad someone's tried it and knows it works.

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Fri May 09, 2008 7:05 pm

I have an IP35 Pro on the way, and it is scheduled for a Zipang and Antec Solo case. I've seen photos of the tallest of the super coolers, and they seem to fit in the Solo.

DrJ

Post by DrJ » Fri May 09, 2008 7:17 pm

The issue with the TRUE is not its height (the Solo is fine for that) but rather tipping the MB with attached heatsink into the case and getting the back connectors aligned properly. It is rather snug.

fjf

Post by fjf » Mon May 12, 2008 1:53 pm

I have a bolted ninja on my IP35 pro. Fanless (E6750), no problems.

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Mon May 12, 2008 6:17 pm

I ordered a Thermalright LGA775-RM bolt through kit to see if this is an easier mount for the Zipang fitted with a 478 bracket. The kit was $5.95, so I figured I would take a risk.

If this kit works out, that means I can Socket-478 mount it to a 775 board and still have bolt-through strength. That would make it easy to mount Zipang in a case with the board already in place, and limited tilt space.

I have a few Solo cases that just arrived, but will not have any time with them until Thursday or later.

stuart

IP35 Pro with Ninja Mini

Post by stuart » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 pm

I tried to mount a Ninja Mini on an IP35 Pro and couldn't get the push pins to go through the board. The spacing with the parts on the board prevented me from getting in there with enough force to push on the pins...

Has anybody been able to do this?

Thanks.

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:29 am

The Zipang has no clearance problems in the Antec Solo or P182 cases. I have them mounted with both P35-DS3 and IP35 Pro boards. All are mounted with the (PITA) LGA-775 bolt through kit. Temps are excellent with this kit.

The Zipang introduces its own set of problem, no matter what case it occupies. This problem is gaining access to the ATX12v connector on the board. The IP35 Pro has this connector at the extreme NW board corner, where it is IMPOSSIBLE to connect when the board is in place. You must connect this cable prior to installing the board. On P182 cases, the alternative is cutting out the top fan grille (which I did) for after-the-fact access. This is covered by the spoiler duct, so it is not visible. Removing the grille removes a source of fan turbulence, but makes the case non-returnable.

In the Solo case, you cannot remove the power supply with Zipang installed. You must remove the board and cooler, to replace the power supply. After building both Solo and P182, I like the Solo better. A lot better. Even though PSU replacement is no longer an easy task.

IMO, the P182 is useful only as a server case. The door scheme layout is awful. Power, Reset, LEDs, Drives are all hidden behind the door. This is OK for a set-and-forget server, but I do check LED activity regulary. Opening the silly door to see the LEDs is just plain lame.