Recommend a fan for me

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

kaotikfunk

Recommend a fan for me

Post by kaotikfunk » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:25 pm

I just finished my new system, and I'm trying to figure out if its worth investing in more cooling. During normal usage such as games, video encoding, it's silent enough. I don't notice the CPU fan, and the drive is pretty quiet. However, after a good TF2 session, the ambient temperature seems to get up, and the CPU fan is running full speed. I think the video card is dumping too much heat into the case.

Are there any fans worth switching to that will work well with the motherboard's fan control?

Here's my current setup:
Antec NSK3480
Intel DG33BU
Intel E5200 (stock speed)
Asus EAH3650 (ATI 3650 passive)
Mushkin DDR2-800 running at 5-4-4-12 1.8v
WD Caviar GP 500 gig on HD mount at bottom of case
Benq DW1655 (PATA)

Cooling:
Intel stock fan for E5200
stock Antec tricool 120mm exhaust fan - low speed

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Hi,

You should look at an aftermarket CPU HSF, like maybe the Xigmatek. That adds tons of surface area, it takes advantage of the air flow through the case, and if it warms up, it's 120mm fan will be able to take care of it with a few more RPM's.

Are you just hearing the CPU fan, or is the GPU fan chiming in?

kaotikfunk

Post by kaotikfunk » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:48 pm

No GPU fan - it's passive cooled only. I'm definitely hearing the CPU fan.

My theory is that the CPU fan is working extra hard because of the high ambient temperature. Running the CPU at 100% in media encoding doesn't make it loud enough to be noticed.

tuz

Post by tuz » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:14 pm

If it seems like its just a lack of case airflow... have you tried the Tricool on medium or high, and seen if it makes a difference there? If so then it might be worth replacing it with a fan with higher CFM such as a Scythe Slipstream, maybe undervolting it to 7V if that's adequate for the system. Also what sort of temps are you getting on your CPU & on the mobo sensors?

It could also possibly be your PSU fan ramping up as temps increase, in combination with your CPU fan

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:09 pm

Hiya,
kaotikfunk wrote:No GPU fan - it's passive cooled only. I'm definitely hearing the CPU fan.

My theory is that the CPU fan is working extra hard because of the high ambient temperature. Running the CPU at 100% in media encoding doesn't make it loud enough to be noticed.
The CPU fan is having to spin faster because the temperature is higher (whether it is the higher case temp, or just that the CPU is working a lot harder) -- and the best solution is to improve the heat transfer from the CPU without more noise. The best way to do that is to put a more efficient heatsink on it!

To test if it is the case temp or not is easy: run the case fan you have faster -- or better yet take the side off the case; and see if the CPU fan still spins faster.

It is hard to move more air without more noise; so the best solution probably, to get a better HS.