NSK3480, AMD 5050e

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

colin2

NSK3480, AMD 5050e

Post by colin2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:26 am

This was designed for work and for upgradability to Windows 7. Thanks to people who commented on the first draft of the parts list.

Parts

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GPM-UD2H
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e cooled by Thermalright HR-01 with bolt-through kit
Intel X25-M SSD 80GB
HITACHI Travelstar 5K500.B 500GB
Pioneer DVR-216DBK
G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 800
ANTEC NSK3480, fan swapped for a Noctua NF-R8-1800 80mm
SYBA SD-U2HUB-4 3.5" Front Panel USB2.0 4-port Hub plus two rear case-slot USB brackets
Nexus 120mm case fan

The case is good. It’s less spiffy than the Solo, and I could have done with a few more interior points to mount cable ties to, but it’s the right size and shape for these parts. For the 500GB HD I used the vertical elastic mounting pioneered by Porkchop.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2875/37973146.jpg

W00t, no more IDE cables.

Space up top is tight, but a 7-inch DVD drive just fit. I mounted the SSD with elastic just because that was the simplest way to put it where I wanted it.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7046/59879822.jpg

Idles just under 40W; so far I have not been able to get it over 75W.

I blocked side and back venting holes to pull all air through the front. Thermalright sink gets barely warm; NB and SB sinks are hot to the touch so priority is getting some air across them.

Yes, it's quiet.

P.S. I'm doing something wrong 'cause the images don't show...

edit: thanks to jamppa (below) but I couldn't get the thumbnails working, but at least I can get direct links.
Last edited by colin2 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:25 pm

Check the image details and there link: Thumbnail for forums. Copy that link. I've had a lot troubles with imageshack and I am soon moving into Photobucket completely.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:21 pm

Looks very well done. I guess you didn't want to go hacking up your new case to make cable management holes behind the mobo area?

You can't see from your pictures, but have you done a panel swap or blocked off the side panel intake vent on the 3480? If you haven't, intake air might be coming in through this vent, barely going near your CPU cooler and then out the rear exhaust. This could explain why your NB and SB are hot, as they are not near this airflow path and less air is being drawn in the front of the case. (In my layman's understanding, air will take the path of least resistance and consequently most of the pressure generated by the rear exhaust fan will be used in pulling air through the side intake instead of the front intakes).

If you haven't blocked off the side panel vent, I would do this immediately and see how this affects your temps

Otherwise, if you want more airflow for your NB and SB than that, it will have to come from from the front, so you will probably have to move the notebook drive suspended at the front.

Here is what I would do:

- swap the positions of the SSD and the notebook HDD so the notebook drive is still suspended.

- buy an SSD adapter for mounting SSDs in 3.5 inch bays - OCZ makes some and they should work with your SSD as well.

- Use this adapter to either mount your SSD using the holes at the bottom of your case or in the floppy drive bay.

- Open up both front 92mm intakes (it sort of looks like you have taped the top one closed with clear tape)

- If necessary mount a quiet 92mm fan as an intake - Nexus or Scythe both make a reasonably quiet 92mm fan from memory. Consider ducting this fan towards your NB or SB as necessary. Using the bottom intake position and a very simple cardboard duct towards the edge of your heatsink would be sufficient.
Last edited by JamieG on Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

colin2

Post by colin2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:58 pm

Thanks, Jamie: right now Speedfan is showing a couple 40C readings but nothing alarming. So I think I'll let 'em roast.

I do have all the side and back venting holes in the case blocked, and there's no obstruction in front. Ducting to the bridges is an interesting idea, though.

Forgot to mention that I put a little USB hub in the 3.5" slot.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:58 pm

thanks for the credit 8)

something you might want to try is positive pressure, i've recently done this with mine- moving from a 120@440rpm exhausting to a 100/92@820rpm intake in the same position. the smaller fan is cable tied to a 120 frame and a 92 frame in an attempt to focus the air more- this has resulted in a good ~4C drop in cpu temps and smaller drops in others, with the only rise being the hdd temps, by ~3C.
noise is about the same, the smaller fan is a weird cooler master pwm that came with my hypertx, it is the smoothest fan i've ever heard- one of the reasons i wanted to try using it. another reason is that i've noticed that with the fan sucking in air- i could hear a distinctive noise that is either caused by air being sucked through all the little holes or from the fan itself, this has gone with the new fan and orientation.

anyways, nice build! i envy your intel ssd :twisted:

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:38 am

Nice job with the HDD suspension ^^

Torajirou

Post by Torajirou » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:03 am

JamieG wrote: - buy an SSD adapter for mounting SSDs in 3.5 inch bays - OCZ makes some and they should work with your SSD as well.

- Use this adapter to either mount your SSD using the holes at the bottom of your case or in the floppy drive bay.
Beware ! I bought one of those OCZ brackets, and not only are they ridiculously overpriced (I paid 15€), it didn't fit in my 3.5" bay (P183), because it was too short. What's more, the provided screws were too long and the brackets weren't properly attached. I'd rather advise this one : http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/pc ... er-25.html

I paid less than 4€, it can hold up to 2 SSDs and the form factor is the same as standard 3.5" HDDs, hence installable in all cases.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately not every Scythe product trickles its way down to Australia :cry:. I will look out for it though.