i7 860 DAW build - please help this poor noob :)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

outbackyak

i7 860 DAW build - please help this poor noob :)

Post by outbackyak » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:34 am

Hi - first post! Newbie questions follow :)

I'm in the process of speccing up a new PC that will principally be used as a DAW (running Propellerhead Reason and Record, Windows 7 x64bit - EDIT - ditched XP), but will be dual boot so I can run my business software and do some moderate gaming. Not ideal, I know, but I'm space-poor so a second computer is not an option. (EDIT: will probably now be single boot since I've decided to go with an SSD for the system drive)

I'm looking for a really low-noise system as I will be recording acoustic instruments in the same room as the computer. I want it to be a lot quieter than my old computer, a stock P4 2.8 in an Antec Sonata case, which is just about bearable until the fans kick in.

So far, after much perusing of this site, the specs I've come up with are:

Case: Antec P183 (EDIT: will replace the Antec fans, probably with Noctua NF-S12B FLX or NF-S12B ULN - maybe Scythe Slipstreams)

PSU: Antec CP 850

CPU: Core i7 860

Heatsink: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev 2 (fan - probably the Noctua NF-P12)

MOBO: Gigabyte P55-UD4P

RAM: 4GB DDR3-1333 (make - undecided)

System drive: SSD - probably the Intel x25m 80GB - possibly SuperTalent UltraDrive ME 128GB (EDIT: ditched the WD VelociRaptor 300GB)

Storage drive: Samsung F3 1TB HD103SJ (partitioned for Audio Project 25GB; streaming samples 500GB; Other storage 475GB) (EDIT: ditched the Samsung F1; may get two X F3 instead of one)

DVD drive: probably the Liteon iHAS-324-32Y (EDIT: unless this is a bad choice - opinions?)

Video card: GIGABYTE 9800GT Silent Cell (fanless, passively cooled)

Sound: M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB 2 (already purchased)

What do you think - does anything jump out at you and say "don't get that!"? Or "you've forgotten ..."?

I've also a few questions re optimizing all this.

1. Do I need a fan controller? The Mobo has fan speed control, and the standard case fans are three speed, so I'd think this should be adequate.

2. Do I need to change the case fans to Noctua NF-S12-800's, or are the standard Antec ones on low speed going to be quiet enough? I'd be doing the mod where you shift the top fan to the front of the case. (EDIT: I'll definitely be changing the case fans)

3. Is it worth suspending both hard drives? I'll have to suspend the Velociraptor once I've taken it out of its cooling case as per the review, but how much quieter will the Samsung be if I suspend it? (EDIT: I will be suspending the HDs)

4. Any other suggestions for a passively cooled graphics card that would give me better gaming performance for around the same price?

5. Any other suggestions?

WHEW! Sorry about the huge post, but I want to do this right.

Thanks.
Last edited by outbackyak on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AudioEditor

Post by AudioEditor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:06 am

You might search this forum for Velociraptor. I considered the same thing but a report about a constant high pitched whine scared me off. I'm really sensitive to stuff like that and wasn't sure if it could be contained.

I'd be interested in hearing anybody's thoughts on that one.

I'm doing a really similar build. Good luck.

outbackyak

Post by outbackyak » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:27 am

Thanks for that, AudioEditor - I've had a look at most of the stuff re the Velociraptor whine, and it is a bit disconcerting. Some say that so long as you remove the "Icepack" as recommended in the article it's fine; others say it still whines. And it doesn't fit easily into a Scythe Quiet Drive enclosure either, which is something I'd considered doing (if I could find a supplier here in Australia).

I'd also considered ditching the Velociraptor and getting 2 of the Samsungs instead - much cheaper, more space, but not as blazingly fast. Gear lust - it's a terrible thing :lol:.

Cheers!

Leoros

Post by Leoros » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Why not just get an ssd for a system disc? The intel x25m isn't "that" expensive, and down the line, I'm sure it will be worth it. I mean, it's faster than any non ssd harddrive, besides being perfectly silent.

Edit: So much for clicking on links in other posts. Ah well, it's merely a 10 day thread revive :P

outbackyak

Post by outbackyak » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks for the reply, Leoros. In fact, I'm now very much considering going for an SSD for the system drive instead of the Velociraptor.

The problem becomes: which one, and how big? Clearly at the moment there are only two options: an Intel x25m or an Indilinx-based SSD (like an OCZ Vertex or one of the many other brands that use the Indilinx controller)

I'm currently considering two options: the Intel 80GB SSD for around A$410, or the OCZ Vertex 60GB (or equivalent) for around $320. The larger sizes are prohibitively expensive.

With care it would be possible for me to manage with the 60GB for my system drive, but I think I'll probably pay the extra $90 and go for the Intel to give me slightly better performance and a bit more space.

Cheers,
Alec. Antec Solo w/Nexus D12SL-12 (rear @390RPM) & Noctua NF-B9 92mm (front @ 540RPM) fans; CPU: i7 860 w/Prolimatech Megahalems & Scythe Kama PWM; MB: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P; RAM: 4GB Corsair 1333; PSU: Seasonic X-650;Graphics Card: Gigabyte 9800GT Silent Cell; System SSD: Intel X-25M G2 80GB; Storage drive: Samsung F3 1TB HD103SJ 7200RPM; Fan control: Scythe Kaze Master 3.5".

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:05 pm

I had a Velociraptor for about a week. Got rid of it due to the whine. Not as huge as one might think, but definitely too much for me. Back to my Black WD 1TB and I must say, it is one very quiet drive. And I am fussy.

Had a nice Intel SSD for a month or so, sold for $$$. It was sure silent. But really in many ways, not that much faster in real life. I am not disappointed at all to go back to the spinner. for now :)

bozar

Post by bozar » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:37 am

Why a old slow drive as Samsung F1? For storage I would go for a low power drive such as F2 Eco, WD GP or equivalent Seagate drive. If you want speed Samsung F3 is better. You really should suspend both drives, P182 and P183 doesn't have effective HD-dampening.

outbackyak

Post by outbackyak » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi Bozar - yes, I've decided to go with the Samsung F3, and I'll definitely be suspending it (or them - not sure yet if I'll get one or two).

I'll edit the original post to reflect the changes I've made to my planned build since I made the original post.

Cheers!

(Edited once for spelling :oops:)
Alec. Antec Solo w/Nexus D12SL-12 (rear @390RPM) & Noctua NF-B9 92mm (front @ 540RPM) fans; CPU: i7 860 w/Prolimatech Megahalems & Scythe Kama PWM; MB: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P; RAM: 4GB Corsair 1333; PSU: Seasonic X-650;Graphics Card: Gigabyte 9800GT Silent Cell; System SSD: Intel X-25M G2 80GB; Storage drive: Samsung F3 1TB HD103SJ 7200RPM; Fan control: Scythe Kaze Master 3.5".