120mm Fan Feedback needed

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fastturtle

120mm Fan Feedback needed

Post by fastturtle » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:55 pm

Had looked at newegg and although I did find one of the Recomended Scythe, it wasn't from Newegg but one of their affiliates, thus not from them and as I've had problems with some of the affiliates in the past, I refuse to deal with any affiliates due to past problems.

Noctua NF-S12B (seem to recall it being a reference brand at one time)

Cooler Master R4-S2S-124K-GP (Have a couple of CM Brand - Hyper T4 HSF). Been pretty happy with their Low RPM fans like what's used on the 212/EVO/Hyper T4. Very nice and move a fair amount of air.

SilenX EFX-12-15T (Anyone tried them - supposedly 15dba). I've looked at them in the past but like anything we've seen, do they actually meet their stated levels?

Silencer56

Re: 120mm Fan Feedback needed

Post by Silencer56 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:50 pm

fastturtle wrote:Had looked at newegg and although I did find one of the Recomended Scythe, it wasn't from Newegg but one of their affiliates, thus not from them and as I've had problems with some of the affiliates in the past, I refuse to deal with any affiliates due to past problems.

Noctua NF-S12B (seem to recall it being a reference brand at one time)

Cooler Master R4-S2S-124K-GP (Have a couple of CM Brand - Hyper T4 HSF). Been pretty happy with their Low RPM fans like what's used on the 212/EVO/Hyper T4. Very nice and move a fair amount of air.

SilenX EFX-12-15T (Anyone tried them - supposedly 15dba). I've looked at them in the past but like anything we've seen, do they actually meet their stated levels?
Problem is that different fans behave differently in different systems. Mostly depends on the case, amount of passive components, etc. I would probably look for a nearby PC vendor and get all fans he has and return the ones that perform worst.

Chosing the right fans is complicated because it's an equation with two variables, the airflow and the noise. Some fan X might be silent at 5V, but not strong enough to cool your component, so your CPU fan has to work more (thus being louder), so fan Y at 7V might be better because your CPU fan can run slower.

How many fans do you want to use?