With today’s internet faster than ever, you’ll want to make use of a high-performance router that makes the most of your connection.
In this guide, we take a closer look at some of the best routers for laptops – concluding with our three selections that will never let you down.
So, need a high-performance router for your laptop? Look no further.
READ NOW: Best ethernet cable for gaming
Best router for laptops: NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S
Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band Wifi Router
Overall, the NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S is a powerful and reliable router that is well-suited for use with laptops (and gaming PCs). It offers fast speeds, a good range, and advanced features that make it easy to set up and customize to your needs.
However, it is a bit more expensive than other routers in the market, and you might want to consider it based on your budget.
Best budget router for laptops: TP-Link AX5400
ASUS TUF Gaming AX5400
One of the main selling points of the TP-Link AX5400 is its support for Wi-Fi 6, providing users with faster speeds, lower latency, and improved capacity for handling multiple devices.
Additionally, it offers advanced security features such as WPA3 encryption, parental controls, and support for the TP-Link HomeCare suite, which includes anti-virus, parental controls, and QoS.
Unfortunately, this router does not feature a USB port for connecting external devices nor does it have support for mesh networks. That said, it’s still great value for money when considering the market average.
Best modem for laptops: ARRIS SURFboard SB8200
ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem
The ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 is a high-performance modem that is well-suited for use with high-speed internet plans. Its support for the DOCSIS 3.1 standard and compatibility with IPv4 and IPv6 makes it a good choice for users who want to take full advantage of their internet speed – making it one of the best routers for laptops and gaming.
Unfortunately, the ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 is a modem ONLY unit and does not include a built-in router. So, you will need to purchase a separate router to be able to connect multiple devices.
One of the main selling points of the ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 is its support for the DOCSIS 3.1 standard, which allows for faster internet speeds and more reliable connections than older modems. Additionally, the modem is compatible with both IPv4 and IPv6, so it can work with the latest internet protocols.
Features to consider when buying a router for a laptop
Like any hardware purchase, there are many routers in today’s market that are great for laptops – so the “best” router for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. That said, some core features you’ll want to consider in a router for laptops include:
- Dual-band capability: A router with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands will provide more flexibility and better performance for your laptops.
- High-speed: Look for a router that supports the latest Wi-Fi standards, such as 802.11ac, for faster data transfer speeds.
- Gigabit Ethernet: If you plan on connecting your laptops to the router with an Ethernet cable, look for a router with Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- Quality of Service (QoS): This feature allows you to prioritize certain types of traffic, like gaming or streaming, to ensure that your laptops get the bandwidth they need.
- Security: Look for a router with built-in security features, such as a firewall and WPA3 encryption, to protect your laptops and the data they transmit.