Organizing Cables OUTside your case

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Minotaar
Friend of SPCR

Organizing Cables OUTside your case

Post by Minotaar » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:41 am

So we all love having that nice clean look inside our cases; cable ties, sleeves, folding.. we got it all in terms of cleanliness inside our case.

Does anyone have recommendations for organizing cables outside? I currently use twistties, but it just isnt neat enough. I can still see numerous wires. Any recommendations?

ecto

Post by ecto » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:49 am

This is how I do it.. nothing fancy, nothing to cover the cables, just small pieces of velcro here and there to organize cabling and get most of them off the floor. Makes it a bit easier to vacuum.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:05 am

ecto wrote:This is how I do it.. nothing fancy, nothing to cover the cables, just small pieces of velcro here and there to organize cabling and get most of them off the floor. Makes it a bit easier to vacuum.
That's pretty much what my setup looks like too. I keep the cables that rarely get moved tied up in groups with cable ties, and I keep the cables that get moved/rerouted fairly frequently tided up in their own separate bunches, also with cable ties. I buy bags of 1000 cable ties at a time so I don't scrimp on using them.

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:11 am

I have a large desk so i stuck a bunch radio shack cable clamps to the back of it, every time i move a wire i just pop open the clamp and move it.

Also i use those black spiral tubes on the first few feet of wires connecting to my computer, so if i pull out my computer there are only two huge tubes to deal with looks very neat. sometimes i use the velcro cable ties for my cables too.

kloppe

Post by kloppe » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:43 am

http://home.no/kloppe/rum/ <- pics 4 - 7

That was back when I had just moved in to the room, and that nice setup only lasted for a few months anyway. Using zip ties was too much of a pain when I had to add or remove some component. :/
Still, id _did_ look pretty nice.