More SilenX "reviews" at Overclockers.com

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

More SilenX "reviews" at Overclockers.com

Post by mrzed » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:22 am

sigh

Well, I for one am dissapointed. That site always seemed to pride itself on objectivity, but yet another silenX review with unsupported conclusions.

Despite not actually comparing this 120mm fan to any others, the "author" feels confident to conclude
Compared to other low noise fans, I think SilenX's iXtrema rules

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:07 am

I thought one of the Overclockers.com editors was watching this fellow. :|

He's written a review of the Seasonic Super Tornado 400W (article here.) Notice in that review, he complains that the Tornado spins up and becomes audible under load, although he makes no mention of such spin-ups in his SilenX PSU review. He also casts doubt on the Seasonic's consistency because the MBM voltage readings are low, although I think we all know how reliable those numbers are. I can't tell what revision he's testing, but he does show a photo of the label, in case someone can decipher it.

The author has written four SilenX articles 1 2 3 4, and three other reviews 1 2 3 (did I get them all?) Two of the non-SilenX reviews have nothing to do with SilenX's market. Each article, by itself, doesn't appear any worse than your run-of-the-mill, small review site's shameless product plugs, except for the Super Tornado, which "coincidentally" competes with the SilenX PSU's. But all together, they do sound suspicious...

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:47 am

From the review mentioned by the original poster:

[quote="Tom Akita (AKA "SilenX Fluffer")"]
At 5V, the fans are almost silent from 3 feet away - I can barely hear them when the side of the case is closed. From 3 feet away, these fans are close to silent.[/quote]

Welp, sounds like 11 dBA to me, how about you?

Bean

Post by Bean » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:11 am

LOL Ralph.

This seems like the complete opposite approach to the way they used to do reviews. :(
That site was great for heatsinks and such. They even went so far as to get an “Airflow Chamber” http://www.overclockers.com/articles750/

v3rt1g0

Post by v3rt1g0 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:05 pm

Ralf hit the nail on the head.. :)

Does this reviewer truly have no clue to what 11dBa means, or sounds like (more like, what it DOESN'T sound like)?
I read this "review" on overclockers a few days ago, while I was looking at some other information, and I had the same reaction, "SilenX must have hired a keyboard monkey to give them glowing reviews".
That piece definitely irked me.

I've been lurking aorund there forums for several months.. About time I registered an account :)