Nirvana!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Denorios

Nirvana!

Post by Denorios » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:02 pm

At last! After six months and a simply obscene amount of money :? , I have attained Nirvana – a completely inaudible PC. I was almost there on Wednesday, when I replaced my DOA Reserator pump, but I had to mount the whole unit on a few layers of bubble wrap and a spare square of deep-pile carpet in order to completely dampen the vibrations. Now, the only thing I can hear at night is a deep rhythmic thumping sound coming from somewhere not far from my head. Any ideas as to what it could be? And how do I silence it? :lol:

I’d like to give a big thanks the myriad of people whose advice I have sought over the past six months, and to MikeC, Ralf, Rusty et al for creating such an invaluable forum. SPCR is the most helpful, fascinating, and above all, polite, site I have ever found. Now that my quest is fulfilled, I will spend my days trying to put back into this site what I have gotten out of it. :)

Though I must leave a word of warning for silencing newbies (this really ought to be a disclaimer, somewhere). Silencing is an addiction. Once you have started, you will not be able to stop until your computer is as silent as it can get. So read the recommended lists, reviews, and past posts, and if you can afford it, buy the best components right from the start – it’s cheaper and faster than the long, slow, expensive process of silencing one component, only to find another one that is bothering you, and then silencing that and finding yourself back where you started. I have gone through four CPU coolers, three complete sets of fans, two power supplies, two processors, two cases, two pairs of hard drives and a lot of foam rubber in my quest for silence. Admittedly, I have managed to sell most of my leftovers to people that I have “converted” (or is that “corrupted” :lol: ), but it would still have been a lot cheaper to buy the best in the beginning. There is also the severely debilitating side effect that once you have gotten used to silence; you find it very difficult to work with other people’s noisy computers! :twisted:

Silentium Est Aureum

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:11 pm

There is also the severely debilitating side effect that once you have gotten used to silence; you find it very difficult to work with other people’s noisy computers!
To me, that's probably the worst part of it. I used to enjoy working on systems for friends and family, now I avoid it as much as possible.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:29 pm

No, it gets worse....

...now when I work on friends/family machines I feel the need to silence them... for free. They come in for a de-spyware-ing, and leave with suspended HDD's and L1A's. :roll:

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:59 pm

Rusty075 wrote:..... and leave with ... L1A's. :roll:
*sigh* me remembers how my L1A collection *dissapeared* :shock: