Tell me what you think of this PC

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hotshot

Tell me what you think of this PC

Post by hotshot » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:20 pm

Quite a while back I was going to get my new pc, but a few things happened and it turned out I couldn't get it at that time. Things are different now and I have the chance to get it. So please tell me what you think of this PC and any recommendations you might have.

AMD XP 2500+ RETAIL BOX (BARTON CORE) 333MHZ FSB
EPOX 8RDA+, NVIDIA nFORCE2 (NO VIDEO), AGP8X, 6CH AUDIO , LAN, 2 FIREWIRE, 6 USB2.0, 3 X DUAL CHANNEL DDR400, 6 PCI
Samsung 512mb DDR RAM PC-3200 400Mhz CAS-2.5
Seagate Barracuda ST3120023A ATA V 120gb 7200rpm ATA100
Gigabyte GV-R9200-128D 128mb Radeon 9200 DVI/TV Out
Liteon LTR-52246S 52x24x52 CDRW Retail kit + black face
Panasonic JU-257A-727P 1.44mb Black Floppy Drive
Antec SLK3700 `Solution Series` SLK3700 ATX Super Midi Tower Case, NO PSU Included
Zalman ZM400A-APF ATX 400watts Power supply
Artic Silver 3 thermal paste
Thermalright SLK-900U Heatsink
Panaflo 120mm fan, Low Speed
Panaflo 92mm fan, Low Speed
Logitech MX500
Mitsubishi DV172 17" Black LCD Monitor

Total cost = $ 2600 AUD

Total cost = $ 1709 US

Yay or nay?
Any parts you would change?

I'm most interested in getting a low cost, non gaming pc, that is silent has some power, and is ergonomic.

My budget is about $2500 AUD

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:28 pm

Looks like a pretty good list to me. Nothing jumps out as something I'd change. It's a nice, well-rounded package. You don't say what you use the machine for, but tweaking it for specfic use would be the only changes I would consider. For example, if you did gaming I'd upgrade the VGA card, or for something like image editing I'd suggest more RAM. But for just normal usage, it looks like you've done your homework well.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:57 pm

A few things to consider, in no particular order of importance:

1. Replace Lite-On with Plextor Plexwriter Premium, with its ability to burn 1000 MB onto normal CD-R media. Cost more than double, though. Or the new NEC ND-1300A multi-format DVD burner, which cost more than four times the Lite-On.

2. Apacer (or other) USB 2.0 internal 6-in-1 flash reader, if you own digital cameras/PDAs/flash MP3 players.

3. Replace Arctic Silver III with Ceramique. AS3 has silver particles that may short out your CPU. I've not come across anyone claiming that it has, but

4. I like the Asus nForce2 board better. But that's just me.

5. I don't remember specific references (Tom's Hardware? AnandTech?) but there has been numerous tests that shows running memory in sync with FSB frequency has better results than running it at a faster (but asynchronous) speed. So getting PC2700 might save you a few bucks and result in faster speed. Unless you plan on overclocking, or if your PC3200 works at CAS2 when underclocked to 333 MHz.

6. To get benefit of dual channel DDR you need two sticks of RAM.

hotshot

Post by hotshot » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:36 pm

OK a couple of things I have to say.

1. I will be using this machine for surfing/word/ps/basic computing, NOT gaming.

2. I was going to opt for more ram, and if I find some more money somewhere I will definately upgrade to 1 gig if I can, but even not I will consider upgrading at a later date.

3. Liteon drives have a nice price/performance.

4. I have heard the same about the Artic Silver. Currently I'm using it in the machine I have now and have not experienced any problems with it.

5. While I like the Asus nforce 2 board it is out of budget. It also has trouble accomidating the HSF combo, whilst the Epox does not.

6. Again I know that dual channel memory needs two sticks, but as I said earlier, I will fit it if I have the money, or I will upgrade at a later date.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:50 pm

For what you're doing, this box will be plenty powerful, and give you plenty of room to upgrade later if you get extra money.

Mark Larson

Post by Mark Larson » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:00 am

All that performance for nothing? :(

johannyt

Post by johannyt » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:41 am

If the computer is not specifically for gaming, why not consider the Epox 8RGA+, which is the same board, but with onboard video. And because the nortbridge is passively cooled, it's silent.

I'm getting this board, but i'm gonna swap the passive nortbridge cooler for a better Zalman one..

hotshot

Post by hotshot » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:45 am

johannyt wrote:If the computer is not specifically for gaming, why not consider the Epox 8RGA+, which is the same board, but with onboard video. And because the nortbridge is passively cooled, it's silent.

I'm getting this board, but i'm gonna swap the passive nortbridge cooler for a better Zalman one..
The radeon offers more. 128 memory, good 2d quality, DVI connection, and is passively cooled.

Good Wombo

Post by Good Wombo » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:27 am

I have both the 8RGA+ and a GF4 Ti4400, and the Hitachi 17" CML175 (essentially same as CML174), I prefer the DVI connection from the Ti4400 more than analog on the GF4MX, particular for watching DVDs (I note that you don't have a DVD-ROM).

The guys here are better at the quiet cooling stuff than I am, but just a couple of suggestions that you might have thought about already:

1) [Edit: Sorry, missed the fact that you've posted about the dual channel :) ] Get PC2700 instead of PC3200?

2) Are you modding the stamped grills on the SLK3700?

3) Well, if there's any more word on the Zalman PSU... ;)

kamina

Post by kamina » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:54 am

Get the pc3200 ram. One day you might end up upgrading the computer to a new athlon processor, and they will require it to run in sync. Also, you will get far better performance by lowering your multiplier and raising the fsb, even if the speed stays the same as it was. It won't really produce more heat either. (apart from the northbridge, but it should'nt be a problem)

It looks like a nice packet, but somehow seems like something is costing too much... How much is the hard-drive?

I'm not a big fan of epox these days even though I have a motherboard by them now. When they work they are great, but mine has allready had to be changed 2 times, and my two friends who have one have both changed theirs.. I think their quality control sucks, and personally I hate having to take apart the computer to take parts to be changed for warrenty. Above all, it takes a couple of days. I think the asus would be better, or maby the abit nf-7 rev2.

Good Wombo

Post by Good Wombo » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:09 am

What you say about getting the pc3200 is true, kamina, especially if hotshot's thinking of keeping the ram over a motherboard upgrade (that isn't a 400FSB version he's getting, is he? Dunno if they're even out yet, and unlikely to have the same name as the 333FSB?).

Still, I don't know which parts of Australia hotshot's from, but in Perth, pc3200 would cost me at least an extra AUD $70 for a stick of 512MB (and I'd be going from Samsung to generic too). I'd personally throw in another AUD $39 and get another stick so that I'll have two sticks of Samsung 512MB PC2700, but that's just my personal preference, plus, hotshot's unlikely to need 1GB of RAM for non-gaming purposes (not that it's too essential yet in gaming either).

I only have the one epox board (8RGA+), and it's been good for me. Must be lucky, I guess, because it is a bit concerning what you said, kamina. If hotshot wants to stick with the SLK900U though, the asus is pretty much out of the question unless he does some severe capacitor bending, or he files down the hs.

johannyt

Post by johannyt » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:54 pm

hotshot wrote: The radeon offers more. 128 memory, good 2d quality, DVI connection, and is passively cooled.
Ok, thats cool then..

BTW, why the boxed processor? ;)

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:24 pm

johannyt wrote:BTW, why the boxed processor? ;)
Not sure how different prices are in Australia, but from NewEgg's web site, the OEM and boxed Barton 2500+ differs by $1 ($93 and $94 respectively).

An extra $1 for 3 years warranty sounds like a good deal to me.

I recall a couple of articles on other sites (sorry, it eludes me, but you might want to google for it). One says that you should retain the HSF in case you need to do a warranty exchange. The other says that AMD says not using the stock HSF and thermal tape will void your warranty, and they don't recommend using any other heat sink compound (which is why I brought up the Ceramique compound - it's supposed to be electrically non-conductive).

By the way, the article that mentions PC2700 to be faster than PC3200 is actually about the VIA KT400. Not sure if it also applies to nForce2. An article on Tom's Hardware suggests that CAS2 vs CAS2.5 is more important than PC2700 vs. PC3200. But the testing was done with a Thoroughbred B and not a Barton.

To sum it all up, in terms of value for money, and for any reasonable (and probably a few unreasonable) computing needs, the list looks good, with a couple of exceptions. I'm not familiar with the prices in Australia, but you might consider alternatives for the PSU (US$100 for a 400W!) and the DDR400.

I wouldn't call US$1700 low cost though :-)

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:51 pm

Mark Larson wrote:All that performance for nothing? :(

Of course it's not for nothing! While not being used it'll be folding away for Silent PC Review's Folding@Home Team

Right? :wink:

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:00 pm

Looks like a good solid system.

If you can squeeze a few more dollars into the budget, get a bigger monitor.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:53 pm

i wouldn't get a 1000mb compatable cdrw drive. From whatever i've read 1gb cdrw's are not going to be mainstream and have compatability issues.