Finally, the SUGO-01(SST-SG01B) project is quiet.

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zehnsucht

Finally, the SUGO-01(SST-SG01B) project is quiet.

Post by Zehnsucht » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:03 am

Ever since my first post here (regarding PSUs) I've been almost obsessed with building a near silent SFF.
I was aiming for a system with high performance, but still maintaining low noise levels. Initially I wasn't supposed to buy the GTX, but I managed to get an RMA'd card cheap (although with much less warranty), so I thought, what the heck, might as well buy the HR03 plus as well :)

The NT06 cooler works really great, the big advantage is that the CPU is "passivly" cooled this way, and CPU temps are reasonable (40 idle high 60's load).
I also made a HDD cooler since the drive seemed to get quite hot.

The latest addition that made the final touch was the HDD mount, before that I had the HDD softmounted in the 5.25" slot, but I didn't work as well as I wanted it to do. So I made a mount to place it under the cage. For those of you not familiar with the SG01, when you have the GTX you have to remove the HDD tray, så the only places where the HDD fits are in the 5.25" bay or under it.

One thing to notice, is that I've only got one fan in the system, Nexus Real Silent 120mm. (ok two counting the PSU fan)

System:
Chassi: Silverstone SUGO SG01E
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
PSU: Corsair HX 520W
CPU: E6600 with Silverstone NT06 Lite Cooler
GFX: 8800GTX with Thermalright HR03-Plus and Nexus Real Silent 120 mm

Temps idle / load
CPU : 40 / 70
GFX : 50 / 70 (underclocked idle / overclocked load)
HDD : 42 - 45 (it's always under load, constant seeder :) )

So here you go, with a buildlog of the HDD mount:

This is the only cut I've made to the case. Pretty descent IMHO since this is the first time I use the dremel to cut a case.

HDD mount buildlog:
The best part of it is that anyone can do it, no advanced tools or expensive material is used!! (in fact, the only thing I had to buy was the duct-tape and motherboard spacers)

The victims. The white is the same packing that is used to absorb shock (my english is failing me here).
Test fitting. It wasn't the final fitting procedure, but it's pretty much the same.
Duct tape is your friend if you don't want to cut up the entire case :)
Close fit...

As a not completly unexpected bonus, due to the new posistion my HDD temps dropped with 5 degrees C :) :) :)
Thanks for dropping by!
All hail the finally awaited quiteness!!

**Edit: Updated CPU values and made system specs.**[/b]
Last edited by Zehnsucht on Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:50 pm

Very nice!

What CPU are you using with that NT06/HX520 combo? 35 idle seems really low for that combination (since the HX520's fan spins so slowly)?

Zehnsucht

Post by Zehnsucht » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:32 pm

Thanks for the comment!
I'm using the E6600 (and the rest can be seen in sig).

Hmm. Yeah, the temps seems a tad low. It's been a while since I checked the temps, but when I do it now it reports 38-40 degrees idle. And load is high 60's instead of high 50's. Maybe because I did a BIOS update recently the probes reports more accurate values?
In any case, even with these temps, I still think it's ok.
But if I were to buy the same system again, I would have probably chosen the Thermalright XP-120 instead. Seems to be a better performer than the NT06.

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:50 pm

does SUGO stand for SUper GhettO ?

Zehnsucht

Post by Zehnsucht » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:55 pm

Haha, yeah, I wondered when somebody would remark my ghetto duct tape mod :D
It was really the only alternative, suspending cannot be done without some SERIOUS modding (more than I have time and money to do). There is simply not anything to attach the cords in...

Ahh wait, you're not serious are you? Hmm. The SUGO series are a collective name for the Silverstone SG01 SG02 and SG03.