P182 W/ Mugen2

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

logscool

P182 W/ Mugen2

Post by logscool » Sun May 31, 2009 9:55 am

This was my first from scratch pc build and was very impressed with the results. I currently am having it triple boot Windows7, Windows XP, and Ubuntu. I am using the GAG boot loader to manage it all just because I like the interface better than that of the GRUB. Here are the specs.

CPU: E7200 (everything at stock)
RAM: 4Gb (2x2gb) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2
Graphics: Zotac 9600GT stock cooling (this is definetely the loudest part when it ramps up.
Case Fans: 1200RPM slipstreams (at 5v ~800RPM)
Case: p182
Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro
DVD: Asus DRW-2014L1T DVD burner
HD: WD6400AAKS
CPU cooler: Mugen2
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX

Overall The system has been performing well for what I need it to do (mainly flight simulators) I am currently using it with an old CRT display but plan to get a 24" display soon and am hoping the system will be able to handle it. The system is very quiet not silent but definitely very quiet. the PWM slipstream never goes above 300RPM. Originally I was planning on leaving out the fan and running the Mugen2 passively but after seeing how slowly the fan runs I decided to leave it in. I also decided to block off the top vent and some of the rear PCI slot vents to better direct cooling and not allow as much dust in. I am still experimenting with the PCI vents so advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sealed off vents.
Front of case with a floppy :).
Cable management.
Front fan.
The Mugen2 was so big I could not install one of the Mobo screws.
The shiny new Mugen2 just out of the box.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun May 31, 2009 8:33 pm

Oh, floppy, how rare and retro ^^

Overall very nice build.

Just a small suggestion: Remove the upper HDD trays. They'll there for no reason and help create noise.

logscool

Post by logscool » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:37 pm

thejamppa wrote:Oh, floppy, how rare and retro ^^

Overall very nice build.

Just a small suggestion: Remove the upper HDD trays. They'll there for no reason and help create noise.
Ya probably should have gone for the 5.25" floppy!
thanks for the advice with the HD. Also if anyone has Ideas on how to better port the air from the single slot card out the back without letting dust in that would be great.
thanks for the help.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:17 am

logscool wrote: thanks for the advice with the HD. Also if anyone has Ideas on how to better port the air from the single slot card out the back without letting dust in that would be great.
thanks for the help.
You're welcome.

Try using some soft sorthobane that is more porous than pad you used to seal off the top exhaust. It would allow some airflow but also would help controlling biggest dust bunnies.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:28 am

Hi,

Can you talk a little about the Mugen 2, please? How was it to install, and how does it work?

Nice build -- there are some (older) threads that talk about vinyl dyes if you're interested in having the floppy drive match the color of the case...

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Re: P182 W/ Mugen2

Post by new2spcr » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:11 am

logscool wrote:This was my first from scratch pc build and was very impressed with the results.
Nice build!
Have you considered trimming down those two tiny plastic doors on the front panel that cover the filters?

logscool

Post by logscool » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:55 pm

The Mugen2 works great it was not that hard to install as long as you get someone to help you. I was able to get some temps with stock Intel cooler before any modifications such as tape, fan location, and fans were made the only modification that had already been made was to the lower chamber the fan was removed and tape applied to ventilation holes around the PSU. With this setup a quick temp check gave me temps as follow
(note: load was done by prime 95 and Furmark)
Idle
GPU:45
Sys:34
CPU:22
HD:36
Core0:46
Core1:46

Load
GPU:73
Sys:41
CPU:54
Core0:72
Core1:72

After all the modifications (including fans, sealed ventilation, and fan undervolting) were made the temps were as follows.

Idle
GPU:43
Sys:36
CPU:17
HD:31
Core0:42
Core1:42

Load
GPU:74
Sys:46
CPU:38
Core0:57
Core1:57

You mat notice that the GPU temps actually rose slight ly despite the addition of a front fan. This I am guessing is due to the sealing off of the PCI vents. One possibility I am thinking of is filtering the PCI vents however I think that might lower the airflow to the CPU because it will go straight out the back.
overall though the Mugen2 is a great heatsink especially considering it comes with a good PWM controlled slipstream which runs very slowly and has potential to run passively

logscool

Post by logscool » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Have you considered trimming down those two tiny plastic doors on the front panel that cover the filters?
I don't really want to do anything irreversible to the case quite yet but I am sure that would increase airflow.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi,

On another thread, someone mentioned that his GPU temp went down after turning off the front intake fan -- maybe you can try this?

logscool

Post by logscool » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:23 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi,

On another thread, someone mentioned that his GPU temp went down after turning off the front intake fan -- maybe you can try this?
I am actually not that concerned with the temps as these are perfectly fine temps for a GPU I am far more concerned with dust and I fear that if I remove the front fan air will be pulled through the one open PCI cover thanks for the help though. Also as for using foam on the top vent my approach is more controlling airflow from certain points as opposed to just trying to get as much flow as possible also this might cause the rear fan to short circuit to that opening instead of pulling air across the heatsink. Additionally the cardboard matches the case quite well and I think it looks pretty good.

yensteel

Post by yensteel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:41 pm

Other than the color of the floppy drive, I think this computer is really neat. I especially love the last picture of the Mugen 2.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:36 pm

yensteel wrote:I especially love the last picture of the Mugen 2.
Yes, he managed to get it out of the carton without bending any of the cooling fins ;)

Neat PC!

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:45 pm

nice and tidy. I would also recommend removing the upper cage... and maybe breaking out the black spray paint for that floppy drive.

Neil_J

Post by Neil_J » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:59 pm

Very nice for a first build. I didn't decide to do the P180 until my last build :roll: ... Wish I had done it sooner.

logscool

Post by logscool » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:08 pm

Neil_J wrote:Very nice for a first build. I didn't decide to do the P180 until my last build :roll: ... Wish I had done it sooner.
Ya I knew I wanted to make a quiet build and knew the p182 was suppose to be good for this but it actually wasn't until after I purchased the components (except for fans and heatsink) that I even knew about the site. With a lot of the components I kind of got lucky (although I knew it wouldn't be a loud build). I actually put the PC together for the first time (with stock heatsink and fans) about 5 months ago.

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:50 pm

i like the way that you did that wiring, it looks much better than my p180b could ever look :-/

the way that i installed the mugen2 was to flip the mb upside down, install the brackets and screws, tape 'em over, then turn the mb right side up.

you can then set the mugen2 onto the 4 screws, and it'll be held off of the cpu, because the tape prevents the screws from being pushed back out of their holes in the mb.

move a corner of the mb over the edge of the table, with only 1 screw exposed from the bottom, so that you can pull back enough tape to uncover the screw, and turn it into the cooler hole a couple of rotations.

replace the tape, turn the mb until the next screw is available from the bottom, and repeat.

you'll end up with the mugen2 centered over the cpu, with all 4 screws started, and you can flip the assembly upside down without disturbing the thermal paste, while holding the mb off of the mugen the entire time... then you can then use two hands to lower the mb down onto the mugen2, and screw it tight.