HTPC stock case fans

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

coopers

HTPC stock case fans

Post by coopers » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:50 pm

Hi folks,

While browsing for HTPC cases, I have noticed that a lot of HTPC case manufacturers ship their cases with fans that they claim to be very quiet - the entire set of cases from Thermaltake are a good example.

The Mozart Thermaltake case for example: http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chas ... 001sns.asp

This thing claims to have two 60mm exhaust fans that run at 19db.

So what is the deal with this? These cases are not cheap, am I to assume that they have some very high quality stock fans included? Or, are they doing dodgy dB measurements? Or outright lying?

Pretty much every HTPC case manufacturer has similar claims.

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:09 am

I'd ignore the db claims altogether. I don't have any experience with that case, but I have an Nmedia case that had a similar fan setup. The 60 mms weren't as bad as I feared, but not as good as I wanted. I ended up using funnel adaptors and replaced the 60s with Nexus 80s. Not the most elegant solution, but the box is both cooler and quieter.

Thermaltake dropped the ball with that rear panel design. The case appears to have the height for dual 80s, but the design of the rear panel limits it to 60s.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:59 am

As a general rule, any case equipped with 60mm fans will not be quiet. You can undervolt them to make them less loud, but they will not be quiet and will move very little air.

Only use cases with a 80mm fans or above, your ears will thank you. If the included fans are too loud, you can easily replace them with your favorite quiet 80mm fan.

Manufacturer's dB claims = Auto manufacturers MPG claims = Bullcrap (in real world use)

coopers

Post by coopers » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:42 pm

Thanks guys, that's really helpful.

I'm getting quite interested in this case:
http://www.origenae.com/en/htpc_s16v.htm

Seems to be as good, if not better than other similar ones.