Cooling potential of this case (warning: pics)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

BadReligionPR

Cooling potential of this case (warning: pics)

Post by BadReligionPR » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:55 pm

Do you guys think this case could be silenced well? Won't be buying anything for quite a while, but I like the insides of this case a lot. Hard drives are up at the back of the case above the PSU, with 2 fans dedicated to cooling them. There aren't places for fans up front but I guess you could get some in there with some work...right?

Specifications:
Drive Bays: External 11 X 5.25" - 1 X 3.5" Internal 2 X 3.5"
Expansion Slot: 7 Slots
Dimensions: 22.05" (L) X 9.84" (W) X 25.59" (H)

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:49 pm

That's a seriously neat case! Could you share the details on it?

I wouldn't worry about putting intake fans in the front. With 4 80's out the back (plus the PSU) you'll get plenty of draw through the front vents.

I iwsh I could see of what kind of epening there actually were in that removable lower front bezel. If it's sloted (like it looks like it is) it'd be better, that way more air could be drawn in.

About the only thing I don't like is the idea of putting the HDD's above the PSU. That's usually about the hottest lace in the whole case. I think I'd stick them down at the very bottom in the front., where the cool incoming air can blow across them. The fact that the whole front is 5.25" bays means that suspending the drives will be really easy there too.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:52 pm

Found the specs: Codegen S-101 :lol:

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:31 pm

I just built a server at work a couple weeks ago using that case. The hard drives shouldn't over heat b/c there are two fans pulling air over them. I can't say anything for the silencability; its in a room full of noise (3 printers, fax machine, server with some rather high CFM fans that make a ton of noise). I only have three big complaints; first, removing the PSU to get at the heatsink mounting clips was a big pain. Second is the covers for the top 3 bays can be difficult to remove/replace. Last is that removing the side panels was like a wrestling match; very difficult. It is a nice silverish color though, and now my only problem is getting cables long enough.

You'll probably have to heavily mod the PSU area if you want to use a normal PSU, they put one HUGE thing in there (which was short one Molex connector to be able to plug in one drive in every bay) that makes a loud beep if only one of the two sub units is plugged in (a fail warning I'd assume) and a short squeak when shutting down; and I imagine there's a bit of fan noise that would be very difficult to eliminate. Also, a 120mm fan hole could probably be fit in there along with a standard PSU, which would make quieting it quite possible.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:40 am

Hey its the real mccoy

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:30 am

it sure is a big case; we took off the cover for the bottom drives and stuck in 8 CD-ROM drives....I can't even hear the 48x one spinning at all over the server though, that thing would drown out a delta! :shock:

HadroLepton

Post by HadroLepton » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:49 pm

found a review
http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/cases/realmccoy/
gaminggod did you mean this by the real mccoy? :)

the case looks very interresting but it is sinfully expensive :( over 280 euro.

there is a smaller version codegen 9011 which is not nearly as expensive about 80 euro. does anyone have any experience with the 9011? or links to a review?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:19 pm

Yea thats the name of the case, the real mccoy. That thing is way too huge really though.

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:45 pm

reading that review, and I can vouch for one thing- it is heavy, but the wheels work quite well.

I needed 24" cables for the top two drive slots.

They also complained about the lock, which I also found annoying for 15 minutes before I broke the bit off a key so I could remove it while it was unlocked.

My PCI slot covers were screwed on.

I found it a pretty nice case, but it does have its flaws.

BadReligionPR

Post by BadReligionPR » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:07 am

@ Rusty - In my haste I seem to have forgotten to post the manufacturer, but you found it all right.

Hmmm this business about the PSU unit makes me a bit nervous...perhaps it is too large for me :( . Don't really care about the weight, thats what wheels are for. I realized that the hard drives were quite far from the motherboard area, my plan was to use this as an opportunity to switch to SATA drives.

I love the pics from that review, especially the last one. So many optical drives (11) *drools*

BTW this case is not so expensive (at least here in USA). Price from Newegg.com is $125 w/o PSU, that's less than I bought my Thermaltake Xaser II for!

Here's the links for Newegg (bottom of page) and here are newegg's pics of it, better than at the Codegen site.

HadroLepton

Post by HadroLepton » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:13 am

BadReligionPR you don't have to mount the hds over the psu. you can mount them in any 5,25" bay using rubber bands or novibe products
http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... d=8&page=1
this is, after all, still silentpcreview ;)

i have seen the neweggs prices and its driving me wild but i guess the shipping cost to germany would be outrageous for that case, newegg doesn't ship outside us anyway :(

BadReligionPR

Post by BadReligionPR » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:29 pm

I wish the bays by the back were 5.25, then they would be perfect. This wasn't the only case I was looking at though, I'm also interested in this casetek

And of course this little thing would be nice, but I like big cases for my main systems.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:14 am

That case is big. In Manhattan it's commonly refered to as an efficiency apartrment. :wink: