Antec Sonata vs. LANBOY

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Katze

Antec Sonata vs. LANBOY

Post by Katze » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:05 am

I'm about to buy a new case but I can't decide which one.

I think both cases are great but they both have pros and cons.

I really like the Sonata because og the nice paint job and the clean lines. Also the fact that it uses 120mm fans instead og 80mm. The hard drive rack system is great. But still it's missing some things that the LANBOY have, like the premodded window and the low weight which makes it excellent for transportation because it's made of aluminum.

Either way i'm probably going to replace the power supply with a more quiet one.

How much does the Sonata case weigh anyway?

But can the LANBOY be as quite as the Sonata because of the thin aluminum?

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:23 am

I would say the Sonata would be a better silent project, but if you plan on toting the case a lot (once a month?), I would probably go for the Lanboy. That black finish just screams to be scratched during trips to Lan parties. Fingerprints are also a big problem.

The metal on the Sonata is not all that thick, so I wouldn't consider that really a big difference between the two.

Yes, the 120 mm fan is nice for airflow, but it has been argued here that L1A 80mm are still superior in overall noise.

The Lanboy doesn't have the grommeted HD mounts, does it? There's another difference.