PSU Muffled Duct-Intake filter Combo...DIY

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

PSU Muffled Duct-Intake filter Combo...DIY

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:58 pm

Here's my latest intake filter attempt, combined with a muffled psu exhaust duct. It's made of various scrap parts, some aluminum roof flashing, CompUSA acoustic foam, and an in-cabin filter from a Nissan Xterra. The filter was the most expensive part. You get two for about $30.
I had a lot of trouble finding a good filter of the right size...this is the best. It has very little restriction, due in part to it's large size.

The filter is held into the duct by hot glue, and the duct mounts to the case by little tabs that the case side tightens down on. The other side has little tabs that are held to the case by screws.

This is a Lanboy case with the intake fan hole enlarged to 92mm. Far as I can tell this setup did not affect temps at all, but it did quiet everything down. Fairly easy project for anyone....What your setup would look like depends on the layout of your case. But I think the design could be modified to fit many case setups.

You want good filtration without affecting temps, you need a large filter. It's hard to photograph shiny aluminum and black duct material. It's a black duct...I know the pics look gray.

Duct Combo