Maybe they're holding back...

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

randalee

Maybe they're holding back...

Post by randalee » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:48 pm

I don't know if this is legit or not -- maybe they're just messing with our heads... Latest from THEIR forum:

TEAM MEMBERS:

Well it's after 8 PM so we know that all the mothers of those SPCR folders have put them to bed. Seems as if they have also helped them with their use of numbers...

Betty Lou has had all 40 of the servers running for a while. She wants to know when we want to release these WUs into the TEAM stats. Have we revised our conquest date, or is it the same? About 78 of the WUs are getting close to their deadlines. We'll need a final count of all "special conquest" WUs by tomorrow.

Moderator: please kill this post before our "friends" wake up in the morning....

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:17 pm

I vote for the idea that the wacky folks are just messin' with us.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:41 pm

Wait wait. I have a return post.

"Dear members of SPCR. I have a plan where we sell all those Macheads incredibly expensive computers that don't run as fast as computers half their cost. That will surely bankrupt them and let us win."

Oh wait nevermind. :P

Seriously, the boys from Mac land have been a scream here on the forums. Much more pleasant than those farting KWSN tossers who went by us a few months ago. I can still smell them. *eww*

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:34 am

Randalee, I saw that post. Given the tenor of that person's posts, I'm inclined to believe it's just a little creative writing.

BTW, Randalee, it's interesting to see a Yellow folder in 114th place. I was at Archnid stats and sorted by Last Update Points, and there you are at #6 on the team! The Daily Production graph shows nothing and then almost 1000 points on the 26th, 800 on the 27th. It'll be a fun week for you, shooting up through the ranks.

David

kai

Post by kai » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:00 am

yea, Randalee flew past me at #119. I want to see how far up the ranks he can make it till those p4's have to go!

randalee

Post by randalee » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:31 am

Dang... RAM was delivered this morning for these 20 CPUs. I'm going to rollout the first 10 today-tomorrow. I've restarted the clients with the -oneunit flag so they can finish up what they're working on before I have to deploy.

...searching for other "less-used" machines to borg...

Randy

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:37 am

'The flying R' was the first threat I've had in ages!! What a shame those P4s have to go..... :P It really is though, that is an impressive debut.

Mustang Mac

Post by Mustang Mac » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:58 am

Wait. I'm getting all choked up here. :cry: See that, now you've made me cry. NOT! :wink: Poor randalee. I told you this day would come. Now you are powerless, and must let them go. I, however will continue to fold into the future for many days to come without fear of losing my processing prowess. Fold on my friends!

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:16 pm

Now I feel awful....Let him know exactly how you feel about his sympathy randalee.....go on, he's a mac user, he can handle it... :)

randalee

Post by randalee » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:22 pm

It's alright... I always have something up my sleeve. :) (Remember what you guys told me about karma, Mac?)

Randy

Mustang Mac

Post by Mustang Mac » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:43 pm

Yes. I know. Your arm pit! :wink: Fold away!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:41 pm

314159 wrote:Betty Lou has had all 40 of the servers running for a while. She wants to know when we want to release these WUs into the TEAM stats. Have we revised our conquest date, or is it the same? About 78 of the WUs are getting close to their deadlines. We'll need a final count of all "special conquest" WUs by tomorrow.
haysdb wrote:So, when are these hypothetical gates scheduled to open? Are you going to be "merciful and quick" or are you going to just keep toying with us indefinitely?
Macaholic wrote:Valentine's Day seemed the best time to crush your fragile spirits! What a black day it will be for Team SPCR!
Methinks the Mac guys are having trouble keeping their lies straight.

David

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:54 pm

Have a look at this:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1133/

try not too laugh too much at the ridiculously stupidly inefficient 3 blade fans that come as standard... at least they look cute(ish) when there stood still..... about the best you can say I guess....

might E-Mail the guy so he realises the joy he will bring to so many :twisted:

Think he/she should become an honoury member even if he/she doesn't fold, or folds for someone else... after all, he seems to follow our beliefs.

Damn Life can be so sweet sometimes... bet he didn't even have to try it first to realise the improvement he was going to make 8)

Pete

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:31 pm

That is just about the saddest, most pathetic example of computer bigotry I can think of. If someone gave me a G5, I sure as hell wouldn't lobotomize it and turn it into a PC. That kind of "religious intolerance" gives me the creeps. I too can do naught but hold my head in my hands.

David

Edit: Thanks sbabb, bigotry is a better word than thr phrase I originally used.
Last edited by haysdb on Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

randalee

Post by randalee » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:39 pm

He's butchered that beautiful work of engineering!!! What a WASTE!

Randy

Mustang Mac

Post by Mustang Mac » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:39 pm

haysdb you are a man of honor and you have my admiration and respect. peteamer purgatory would best describe your final destination.

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:43 pm

I think "bigotry" may be the word you were looking for, David. This is definitely a fine example of that type of stupidity.

I'm not sure how the Mac was configured, but a quick look through Ebay shows me that he probably could have sold it for a couple of thousand dollars. Instead he winds up with a PC case that really doesn't fit his needs (he complains about only being able to use a uATX mobo) and requires tons of modification work, but looks cool to him and lets him try to convince others that he's cool. All for the bargain price of ~$2000.

If he'd sold it and used the $$$ to buy PC hardware, he could have come up with something fairly impressive. Or maybe not. He wanted a Dell originally, after all.

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:00 pm

I was hesitant to use the word "stupidity" above, but now I'm pretty sure I went way too soft on the guy.

The second page of the article wouldn't load for me until a couple of minutes ago. Now I see that he is happy because he can now use Windows XP to surf the internet and burn DVDs on an Athlon 2200.

Basically he threw away a machine that's several times more powerful and completely capable of doing everything he wanted just so he could put more money in Bill Gates' pocket and not have to learn anything this month.

Oh well, at least he put in lots of loud components and a cool green light so he can impress everyone with the "powerful" sound and glow.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:09 pm

Hey... if I got ahold of a G5 case, I'd do my best to put a damn nice (and silent!) PC in it. Wouldn't go buy one just to do that, though. Geesh.

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:51 pm

I could never do this, and in defence of peteamer(not that he really needs it), he's just a pom taking the piss! :P This is something that would inevitably appear, and I must admit, I would love to cram a G5 into a compaq case for the sheer hell of it, but if someone gave me a spanking new mac, theres NO way I could have done that.

This is obviously the work of a spoilt brat, who deserves to have his 'new' mac installed with Redhat and sent to his room without internet until he learns how to install smoothwall.....

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:07 pm

Mustang Mac wrote:peteamer purgatory would best describe your final destination.
It's not peteamer's machine, he just linked to the web site. The fact that peteamer finds it funny merely shows he has a twisted sense of humor. :lol: For myself, I find the "Darwin Awards" incredibly funny, and that's about people who managed to KILL themselves :!:

David

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:38 pm

pom taking the piss!
Pretty much got the 2nd part figured out, but, a "pom?" Ok, ms encarta says it's a "British Person," disapproving.

BTW, was AU settled before or after the north american colonies?

M

TheScarf

Post by TheScarf » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:41 pm

mas, yeah, pom or pommie is a negative term, but in these days, I believe it is not as derogatory as it used to be......errr, that right Pete?? Plus Australia and the Poms are involved in a lot of sporting type rivalries (if you're ito that sort of thing), and much worse gets used quite regularly...There you go, popculture 101 according to TheScarf!!! :roll:

ps. Australia was colonised by whites about 200 years ago(1788), quite a while after the Americas.