Interesting find for programmers

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rbrodka
Patron of SPCR

Interesting find for programmers

Post by rbrodka » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:04 pm

I stumbled across an interesting programming tool the other day. The site describes it as:
Aurora is a powerful 32 bit compiler featuring an integrated development environment with advanced compiler, assembler, and linker.

Aurora features a C-like syntax with high level commands making it ideal for students and advanced programmers alike. Aurora can create stand-alone executables with no runtime libraries needed. Designed to be a cross-platform compiler there will be both Windows and Linux versions available.
Throughout my long career as a programmer, I have watched programming languages and tools become increasingly complex, bloated, and resource intensive. For years I have wished I could find a high level Windows programming language that did not require massive run-time programs or frameworks. I would love to create programs that do not require an installer; just copy the executable wherever you want it, and run it.

I purchased a copy because I thought it was a darn nice piece of work, and it supports a small independent software developer. I'm not anti-Microsoft, but I prefer to give my money to a small independent developer rather than enrich Bill Gates and further his software monopoly.

The site is: www.ionicwind.com and the product is called Aurora. They also have a Basic language tool. If you are a programmer and creating a stand-alone executable interests you, you might want to check them out.

If this sounds too much like an advertisement, I apologize, and a moderator can delete this post. I was just so excited to find this tool that I wanted to share it with others.

Thanks,

Randall

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:47 am

I would love to create programs that do not require an installer; just copy the executable wherever you want it, and run it.
I personally would like it if operating systems banned the running of executables that didn't have an installer that can completely remove any trace of the program on the machine, and easily.

standalone executables = bad, because there isn't often an easy way for users to uninstall them. Good for geeks who are confident at blowing away exes and dlls with impunity, but bad for joe blow.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:41 am

I love standalone executables. If Joe Blow can't figure out how to manually remove the standalone exectuable, then he couldn't figure out how to put it on the computer in the first place. He can run it straight off of the CD or thumbdrive for all I care.

croddie

Post by croddie » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:27 am

What compiled language can't create stand-alone executables? (OK, some will be dependent on frameworks like .NET and Java.)

mb2

Post by mb2 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:43 pm

i long for the day when all apps can just be copy-pasted to another PC and will still work and be configured.. installing stuff is such a pita, and u often have no idea what its doing. plus, taking around ur app suite on usb so that u have everything u need, already configured and can use it on virtually any pc is sweet.
does this go further than portableapps.com stuff does (other than doing it tidier)?

"there isn't often an easy way for users to uninstall them."
what about the delete button? and if ur talking about registry entries.. then a) joe bloggs won't know or care b) they should just make the program without creating registry entries