Hitachi show 635 Gb/in2 recording density;>250% more stor

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jaganath

Hitachi show 635 Gb/in2 recording density;>250% more stor

Post by jaganath » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:11 am

http://www.physorg.com/news136815757.html
Hitachi, Ltd. announced today that it has demonstrated the technical feasibility of magnetic recording at 610 Gbit/in2. This considerably exceeds the previously demonstrated capabilities of current perpendicular recording technology found in mass-production hard disk drive (HDD) products. These results hold the potential for a 2.5x increase in the storage capacities of current-generation HDDs.

In conventional hard drives, in order to read data without errors, an error correction code is attached when data is recorded. The code, however, occupies recording area, thus reducing user space. A new signal processing technique, iterative decoding, which does not require a Reed-Solomon error correction code, was developed for the hard drive. This new technique increases user space by approximately 4%, enabling a further increase in storage capacity equivalent to an HDD with a recording density of 635 Gb/in2.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:54 am

sweet ^^ I want 2 TB Single HDD storage drive ^^ It seems with this technology its doable ^^

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:26 am

They could squeeze out 3TB's if they use enough platters. Although id be more interested in 1TB single platter goodness.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:26 am

Not to mention the increased sustained speeds that accompany higher densities.

Too bad greater density is not a human positive. :roll:

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:39 pm

Damn, and I just bought a bunch of 1TB WD GPs for my file server. Oh well, I'm sure it will be at least two years before this technology will become widely available.