I have a lot of problems with my monitor. Need suggestions!!

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

I have a lot of problems with my monitor. Need suggestions!!

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Video card: ATI/AMD 5770
Monitor: Planar PX2611w - an H-IPS 26" display at 1920x1200
Cable: heaviest gauge (ridiculous) DVI cable from monoprice.

It is about 7 years old now. I use it all the time, many hours a day or at least 2 on light days. I *think* the monitor is dying.

Here is what is not dying:
Color, brightness and clarity all fine and oddly similar to first day I used it. I have never brought it past 0% brightness. I hate light. So, if it dims I am happy. However, it really has not changed a thing picture wise in 7 years.

Here how it does not work well:
I press the On button on the front and it does nothing.
I turn on/off the switch on the back and it caused it to turn on properly for about 2 days. Now, this does nothing.

How I get it to turn on: I turn it off. I turn of the computer. I restart the computer. While it is begining to boot up, i flip the switch for the monitor, I press then the button on front and it turns Green, flickers, then Yellow, standby.

I then turn off the display back switch again and on again. Just toggle it. The button on front i leave alone, it begins to grow BRIGHT green, original way it always was. Then it flickers, turns half bright or less green, the monitor turns on fine and I can type and play games, etc.

What on earth could be doing this?

I will say that I had a few days of pressing the front button and it not turning on, but then waited a second, pressed it another time, and bink, it went on. When it did this, the green LED was full normal brightness and everything was ok.

I then attached someone's pre-made AMD A10 via my monoprice dvi cable and booted up a Linux (zorin which is ubuntu) dvd to install that. The monitor said 1920x540p and was squiggle mess of things. I hope this didnt hurt the monitor. It never recognized the A10 apu properly or something, no idea what happened. I brought the A10 prebuilt computer with the zorin disk in it to another floor, my much older 4:3 Viewsonic monitor DVI both recognized one another fine and it installed without a hitch or getting some odd resolution claim.

Since doing the bizarre 1920x540p resolution, it has behaved as it does now. I do not know what is causing this. Any ideas? I dont want to replace the monitor (it was 800 dollars) without needing to if its a video card or signal issue or who knows what.

Thank you

Pappnaas

Re: I have a lot of problems with my monitor. Need suggestio

Post by Pappnaas » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:20 pm

Hard to tell. From your description, i'd guess the monitor doesn't recognize the signal from the DVI port.

Only way to rule out different things would be cross testing:
-different DVI cable
-different PC (before connecting, switch different PC a low resolution)
-different monitor
-different signal input (VGA?)

7 years is a little more than 2 PC lifespans, so it could be the monitor slowly reaching EOL.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:28 pm

I will try all of these things. I have no idea what it could be. i think 2 things are failling at once but i dont know what they are.

washu

Post by washu » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:35 am

Sounds like the monitor's power supply is going. Probably bad caps. Usually it is the backlight capacitors that go, but the finicky powering on points to the main PS.

If you are good with soldering then it is fixable, but otherwise it is new monitor time.