Running Zalman VF-700/900 off GPU fan header

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Operandi

Running Zalman VF-700/900 off GPU fan header

Post by Operandi » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:10 am

I think I've seen a few cards ship with the VF-700 stock but has anyone attempted to modify their VF-700 to run off the graphic card's fan header?

All modern graphics cards feature dynamic control of the GPU fan to keep things "less loud" at idle with the stock HS/F. With a high performance heatsinks like the VF-700 & 900 it should be possible to maintain or even lower idle noise while keeping load temps lower. Programs like ATi Tool give you very tight control of fan speeds at given temperatures, that could make up for a poorly implemented video driver auto control, if that's even an issue. Aside from the minor work involved in modifying the fan connector is there any reason not to do this?
Last edited by Operandi on Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megaman

Post by Megaman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:56 am

I've almost convinced myself to get the vf700 and I'm wondering the same thing. Does anybody know the fan rating for the vf700?

Here's my guess. My X800 XT has a 70mm fan that probably tops out near 4000 rpm (I couldn't find any numbers so I'm guessing based on the sound it makes). The vf700 has an 80mm fan rated to 2650 rpm according to the user manual. I'd say that the max current draw from the stock fan is higher than the max current draw for the vf700. So using the video card's fan header is probably ok.

Anybody care to disagree?

Megaman

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:08 am

On my eVGA 6800gt (pcie) I did this. Blew a capacitor after a week.

Megaman

Post by Megaman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:32 pm

Bummer.

Anybody else have any experiences?

QuietOC

Re: Running Zalman VF-700/900 off GPU fan header

Post by QuietOC » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:46 pm

operandi wrote:Aside from the minor work involved in modifying the fan connector is there any reason not to do this?
All you need to rewire the fan connector is a jewels screwdriver, or even a thumbtack. You gently push on the metal tabs and the wires pull out of the connector very easily. You have to remove all three wires. Also you need to gently pry off the plastic part on the GPU fan header, so it is just the three metal plugs sticking out of the PCB.

I have found that fans make a bad grinding noise when connected to my X800GTO while using ATITool to adjust the fan speed. I believe it is because the fan speed is being adjusted by pulse modulation. I am using fairly fast, large fan (3000rpm @ 12V), and it may be less noticeable with something with a slower 12v speed.

I am planing on swapping a Zalman Fanmate between my fan and the X800GTO fan header and seeing if that helps.

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:50 pm

Megaman wrote:Here's my guess. My X800 XT has a 70mm fan that probably tops out near 4000 rpm (I couldn't find any numbers so I'm guessing based on the sound it makes).
The stock fan on my X800GTO was rated at 0.31A, I believe. I know it was actually rated higher than the big 92mm 3000rpm Sanyo Denki that's currently hooked up to it.

widman

Post by widman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:23 pm

here my post
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... highlight=

it's possible to change mount to gfx fan mount.

No clicking noise from PWM.

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:45 am

widman wrote:here my post
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... highlight=

it's possible to change mount to gfx fan mount.

No clicking noise from PWM.
Interesting, I haven't thought of that. I was planning on cutting the connector from the VF-700/900 off and replacing it with the connector from the stock HS/F. That way I would also be able to get rid of some of the extra wire length from the Zalman, I guess either way would work though, thanks for the excellent post. :D

KnightRT

Post by KnightRT » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:32 am

The VF700 makes a bit of noise at 5V. Not much, but a bit.

At 3V through a fanmate, it's below the noise floor of my room, I can't hear it at all. My idle temperature on an overclocked 7800GT is 54C. Under load, 75-odd, depending on the game. If you can duplicate this, I wouldn't even bother with dynamic adjustments.

Worth a thought,

DI

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:38 pm

KnightRT wrote:The VF700 makes a bit of noise at 5V. Not much, but a bit.

At 3V through a fanmate, it's below the noise floor of my room, I can't hear it at all. My idle temperature on an overclocked 7800GT is 54C. Under load, 75-odd, depending on the game. If you can duplicate this, I wouldn't even bother with dynamic adjustments.

Worth a thought,

DI
If you check out the options ATI tool offers you you'll see that you have complete control of fan speeds (at least 20-100%) so sub 5v equivalent speeds should be possible.

Powering the fan off the card's header makes for much cleaner installation; no un-needed fan controllers.

shades_of_blue

Post by shades_of_blue » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:01 am

mbetea wrote:On my eVGA 6800gt (pcie) I did this. Blew a capacitor after a week.
you sure it was not because you bought a EVGA card? that brand has a horrible rep. I hope you returned it to stock form and RMA’d it.

Anyway, IIRC the stock fan on my VF700cu was rated at .15amps, the stock AC Silencer fan was rated at .30amps and the stock fan on my x800xt aiw was rated at .35amps.

I considered doing similar with my zalman cooler, but after making an adaptor using the standard vga header plug I found that my card used a even smalled mini header plug. The only way to get one would be to cut it off my stock cooler, so i desided not ot.

I really doubt anyone will damage their card just by powering a different fan which has a lower amp rating. And if it were, chances are you would burn a PCB trace line before it damaged a more resistant part such as a capacitor.

Megaman

Post by Megaman » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:00 am

shades_of_blue: Were did you get your numbers for the fan ratings you mentioned?

My gut feeling (despite mbetea's experience) is still that the Zalman fans draw less current than the stock coolers but I would prefer to confirm with some numbers.

Megaman