Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SlaveToSilence

8800GTS idle at 75-80c in well cooled P180 :o

Post by SlaveToSilence » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:02 am

i have just setup my new system and got it running nice and quiet
specs here:
viewtopic.php?t=42530

Idle temps for CPU/SYS/PWM are 35/35/45 with top 3 120mm fans at 6v

My only worry is that the my eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB is at 80c right now just browsing the forums even tho there is only cool air going over it..

I have got a Thermalright HR-03 PLUS and another scythe 120mm fan which i was going to fit to it with the new Shin-Etsu thermal interface material but i wanted to make sure first that there is no way that there could be something wrong with the card?
I dont want to change the heatsink and find its still too hot and have to change it back again and send it back, i'd worry they wouldnt accept it after the HSF has been changed :(

Thanks again for all your help, this forum and all its users have been very helpful :)

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:13 am

make that 85c now :(

i was thinking maybe if i took off the heatsink and cleaned it and the GPU and put some of the shin-etsu TIM on it then put it back together stock and checked to see if the temps dropped before fitting the HR-03? then if its still 85+ idle i could return it if need be without them knowing/noticeing i touched the HSF?

it says:

nForc: 85c GPU1: 65c

i've seen people saying about GPU ambient and core temps, could this mean the actual GPU is at 65c and the ambient temp around it is 85? (because all the heat is being pushed off and over the "nForc" sensor?)

Thanks again :)

laguz1

Post by laguz1 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:39 am

70+ degrees idling is normal for a 8800, but a well ventilated case can drop it to ~60.
SlaveToSilence wrote: make that 85c now
If you're getting 70+ on a HR-03...then something's wrong

I'm guessing you had some poor contact or that "shin-etsu" isn't that good

Try Arctic Silver 5 + the HR-03 plus and maybe a faster fan? Yate Loons work really well here, since they have good CFM and are quiet. What Scythe fan are you using?

Do you have a fan in the upper HD intake? If you don't use HDs in that cage, try moving your fan to the other side of the cage - kinda hard to explain, but it will make the fan closer to the GPU - i think the p180 includes clips to put a fan there, not sure though...
SlaveToSilence wrote: could return it if need be without them knowing/noticeing i touched the HSF?
what GPU vendor do you have? EVGA? BFG? Evga lets you refund i believe, if something's wrong w/ your card, but BFG states you cannot alter or remove any components (i.e. the HSF)

Bories36

Post by Bories36 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:11 am

Same thing happened to me. Do 2things

Turn up your fan going over the card.

Build a shroud that vents the air from the 3 little line vents on the bottom of the card. That normally pushes air back into the case where it just gets recirculated.

My idle went from 79c to 69c.

Bobendren

Post by Bobendren » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:15 am

Those sensors are often wrong. Hold a finger to the base of the heatsink. Can you hold your finger there without it burning? If yes, then it's well under 80'C.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:59 am

Bobendren wrote:Those sensors are often wrong. Hold a finger to the base of the heatsink. Can you hold your finger there without it burning? If yes, then it's well under 80'C.
Over 40 degree's C would make you pull your finger away less than in second. in 80 C you would risk getting burn damage...

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:38 pm

I almost have the same case (P182) with a single 120 mm rear fan @ 600 RPM.

With stock cooling, the 8800 GTX would idle at 60 / 50 °C (the core is always hotter then ambient).

Your suggestion to replace the TIM sounds good, some have had very nice results by replacing the TIM, maybe you've got a Monday morning sample.
When I removed the stock cooling, I saw what a mess factory TIM can be...
Tightening the four screws above the GPU as fast as possible will really make a difference too.

Thejamppa is right, anything over 37 °C feels hot and you don't want to keep your finger there.

WR304

Post by WR304 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:24 pm

SlaveToSilence wrote:make that 85c now :(

it says:

nForce: 85c GPU1: 65c

i've seen people saying about GPU ambient and core temps, could this mean the actual GPU is at 65c and the ambient temp around it is 85? (because all the heat is being pushed off and over the "nForc" sensor?)
That nForce ambient temperature shown by nTune is a reading from your motherboard. It's probably the Northbridge chipset? (not too sure).

Here's what nTune looks like with a 8800GTS and a Intel chipset motherboard:

nTune software with only 8800GTS 640mb temperature showing

The GPU1 temperature is the GPU core. 65c idle is actually fairly normal for an 8800GTS card with stock cooling.

In order to see the "ambient temperature" reported by the graphics card sensor you need to look at the hardware monitoring of software such as rivatuner:

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

Rivatuner 8800GTS 640mb temperature

What's your room temperature? If the room is hot then you have to expect the card to be hotter too. :)

How hot is the air being blown out of the rear of the case by the card?

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:29 pm

Oh thats good then, 65c is a bit more acceptable :)
i will let you know how cool i can get it with the HR-03 and shin-etsu TIM (read a TIM roundup and it came 2nd out of about 30.. 1st being coollabs liquid metal which i have on the CPU :p)

heres a pic of ntune:

im guessing/hopeing the nForc sensor is the northbridge because i dont think anything else would be that hot, and i have always wanted to monitor the temps of my chipset :) will watch this after installing the HR-03 also and let you know if it drops atall

Room temperature is 25c :(

Thanks everyone :)

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:33 pm

p.s i have no idea why those fan readings are so high, they are set in the ABIT uGuru to go from 6v-12v (35c-45c, 35c-45c, 45c-55c)

are all those bus speeds ok?

how do i monitor/change the speed of the 8800 fan?

whats funny is i dont have a fan on the CPU header because it was a PWM fan one and wouldnt change from 12v so the cpu fan is on the SYSFAN1 header :)

WR304

Post by WR304 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:22 am

Those nTune readings aren't accurate. :(

I'd probably just ignore them and use something such as speedfan or the Abit monitoring software instead. :)

Speedfan apparently has issues with some Nvidia chipset based motherboards so it may not work that well.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

You can monitor and change the speed of the graphics card fan through rivatuner.

GPU Temperature Monitoring in Rivatuner

You can't set detailed fan speed curves though.

If you're replacing the stock cooler with a Thermalright HR-03 Plus shortly it shouldn't really matter too much. :)

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:51 pm

speedfan is useless for everything apart from monitoring the hard drive temperature :(
harddrive is at 32c tho :)

i can do everything i need in the ABIT uGuru now, even found where to monitor the fan speeds (usually 600-900rpm)

8800 fan is at 1530rpm at the moment still at 65c
will fit the HR-03 soon

once i've done that i will let you know what the new temperatures are :)

Thanks for all your help guys

SlaveToSilence

Post by SlaveToSilence » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:42 am

since i fitted the HR03 and a 120mm fan in the top hard drive bay the chipset temps have gone down nearly 20 degrees! its at 67c at the moment and the GPU is at 59c which isnt so bad considering its nearly silent, have to wait hold my breath and wait for there to be no traffic going past outside before i can hear it :)

CPU/SYS/PWM now:
39c/32c/43c

i made a little duct out of cardboard that forces most of the middle fans are across the hr03 and out the back and prevents the hot air getting sucked into the infinity and heating up the cpu

will post pictures asap

sjkeegs

Post by sjkeegs » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:33 pm

thejamppa wrote:
Bobendren wrote:Those sensors are often wrong. Hold a finger to the base of the heatsink. Can you hold your finger there without it burning? If yes, then it's well under 80'C.
Over 40 degree's C would make you pull your finger away less than in second. in 80 C you would risk getting burn damage...
YMMV here.

I used to build systems that controlled a thermal plate within .5C from 4C to 99C, and I could easily hold my finger on the plate until it reached 50C.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:56 am

sjkeegs wrote:
thejamppa wrote:
YMMV here.

I used to build systems that controlled a thermal plate within .5C from 4C to 99C, and I could easily hold my finger on the plate until it reached 50C.
Well, my finger cant tolerate such heat. I had to pull my finger off when temp showed 44 degrees C.

mellon

Post by mellon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:52 pm

Having that sensitive a finger doesn't really sound plausible considering that 44C is only about 7C higher than normal body temperature. You can probably also tolerate the heat (which doesn't conduct that well into your skin but is much higher) in a sauna so I'd guess the temperature sensor reading is nto correct.