Will this work ?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

einolu

Will this work ?

Post by einolu » Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:46 pm

http://microcenter.com/single_product_r ... id=0117379

Can I use this with my Radeon 9500 Pro? Also, will it be a big improvement in noise?

I dont want to spend a lot of money, but if this is pointless, than I guess ill just look for a deal on a vga silencer...

~EO

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC » Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:54 pm

I've had no experience with that cooler but I expect that it would be louder than your stock cooler and after all its made by ThermalTake.

Gnerma

Post by Gnerma » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:38 pm

Crystal Orbs are loud but not Tornado loud. This cooler has a typical 3 pin power connector so its easily undervolted. I have one of these that I'm not using and your post piqued my interest so I hooked it up to my fan controller.

The fan starts up at about 5v where it spins very slowly blowing VERY little air. So little in fact I can't really feel it with my fingers but can on my cheek. It's pretty darn quiet, although the noise isn't very clean it has that variable hum to it like some car engines. At about 7v it blows A LOT more air but gets a bit whiny. at 12v I can hear it distinctly over my open system. It's a strong whoosh of the air passing through the top and sides of the sink, along with a background whine.

My opinion on it is if you have very quiet system it might be okay at 5 - 6v, although I doubt its merit as a cooler at that speed. If your system is not so quiet it may be okay at 7 - 8v. At the end of the day though, I'd say buy the VGA silencer, it's only 10 bucks more.. (Or grab my Zalman :lol:)