Need help with MB BIOS

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Need help with MB BIOS

Post by JVM » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:06 am

My video card has 128 MB of memory so should I set Graphics Aperture size to 128?

The boot sequence was suggested to me by an ASUS guy to have the SATA HDD first. I have two optical drives. So, is having the SATA HDD first the way to go? Initially it was set to CD-RW first and that brought an issue so when I called, he told me to make HDD first and this way it won't boot from CD when a CD is left in.

I was using ASUS Probe but the Power Supply fan was not recorded: reading was zero. Motherboard Monitor did give me an accurate reading so why not AUS Probe?

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:54 pm

ASUS Probe won't give you a reading if you have no lead from the PSU connected to a 3-pin fan connector (if you do have one connected, I don't know what's wrong, sorry).

About the aperture size -- I have yet to find a place where this feature is explained. From the recommendations I've seen, it should be about half the VGA memory, i.e. 64 MB in your case. We had trouble on a comp at work when the value was too small.

About the boot sequence: Yeah, keep the SATA as the first boot device. If you want to boot from a floppy or a CD/DVD, you can always change the settings in BIOS. The fewer boot devices the computer has to check, the faster the boot sequence becomes.

Happy silencing! (By the way, a couple of these questions are a little off topic. You might want to ask them in the "Off topic/not silent" forum instead.)

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:17 pm

The BIOS guide is here, AGP aperture here.

The computer will boot even if the CD drives are above SATA in boot order, but if You have a CD in while You are booting, the drive will rev up to max speed every time. Which is both annoying and time-consuming.

About Asus Probe/MBM: Was some other sensor missing in MBM? Sometimes different programs give different "names" for the fan, or they can even exchange the names (so that CPU temp is shown as Chassis temp, and vice versa).

Cheers,

Jan

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:30 pm

Jan Kivar wrote:The BIOS guide is here, AGP aperture here.

The computer will boot even if the CD drives are above SATA in boot order, but if You have a CD in while You are booting, the drive will rev up to max speed every time. Which is both annoying and time-consuming.

About Asus Probe/MBM: Was some other sensor missing in MBM? Sometimes different programs give different "names" for the fan, or they can even exchange the names (so that CPU temp is shown as Chassis temp, and vice versa).

Cheers,

Oops, I did it again. I should have said Hardware Monitor. Hardware Monitor gives an accurate reading of the power supply fan but ASUS Probe just gives zero.

Jan

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:35 pm

The link about Aperture doesn't seem to really deal with how to set it. All I see is somewhere between 64 and 128 but what and why?