Fan Controller on VGA Silencer? Help!

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tksuther

Fan Controller on VGA Silencer? Help!

Post by tksuther » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:05 am

I want to connect the fan on a VGA Silencer to a fan controller. The controller also monitors fan speed. I'm not sure how to do this or if it will work. Should I remove the hi-low switch and splice-in a 3-pin cable to connect to the controller? If I do this will it sense the speed? I thought about plugging the 2-pin connector form the VGA Silencer into the 3-pin cable from the controller instead of plugging it into the video card but if I do this I don't think the controller will monitor the speed. Does the third wire sense speed and the red and black are for power only? Can anyone give me some advice? THANKS!

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:31 am

Yes, the third wire is for the RPM monitoring. Since the VGA-Silencer only has a two wire fan, none of your connection options will get you speed sensing.

Personally, I don't think having that controlable is really all that useful. Just set it to Low, and forget about it. At that speed it still outperforms the stock heatsink and fan, and is quiet enough to be drowned out in all but the most silent of machines.

tksuther

Post by tksuther » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:44 am

Rusty075 wrote:Yes, the third wire is for the RPM monitoring. Since the VGA-Silencer only has a two wire fan, none of your connection options will get you speed sensing.

Personally, I don't think having that controlable is really all that useful. Just set it to Low, and forget about it. At that speed it still outperforms the stock heatsink and fan, and is quiet enough to be drowned out in all but the most silent of machines.
Thanks Rusty - actually the fan switch has 3 wires. I know this because I extended the wires and mounted it at the front of my case so I don't have to reach behind to switch from low to hi (for gaming usually). The power connector from the Silencer that plugs into the VGA has 2 wires. Anyway you're probably still correct because I think the third wire going to the switch allows the speed (voltage) change so the fan has 2 speeds. I guess I can still connect it to the controller and not monitor speed. My goal is to keep the control of the fan at the front of my case and the controller assembly is going in the space where I currently have the VGA Silencer switch mounted. But like you said, it's probably okay on low all the time anyway! Thanks again for the help.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:08 pm

I've got mine plugged into a Zalman MFC. Works fine. Just plug the appropriate colors together. you don't need an adapter or anything.