MikeC could you elaborate on this one a bit more?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Wedge

MikeC could you elaborate on this one a bit more?

Post by Wedge » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:47 pm

MikeC wrote:ABIT OTES product...
Actually, I have had success plugging the tiny 2-pin 12V connector into a Zalman Fanmate1 and running it off a motherboard header -- at a voltage other than 6V or 12V. The low seems too low sometimes while the high is almost always too high for me, so this is a good option. The pins
What were you about to say about "The pins..." ?

I'm really curious about this as it's my primary reason for not buying the Silent VGA Cooler -- no room to adjust the voltage (either 5v or 12v I believe?). However, if you were able to fan mate this thing successfully I would be willing to buy one and give it a go.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:55 am

oh... :?:

...the pins may need to be squeezed together a bit but I was able to jam it in to get 12V & adjust the voltage just fine with the fanmate1.

If you wanted to go the whole hog, just replace the plug altogether with a standard connector for a mobo header, extending the lead, and use SilenTek or SmartFan software to control the fan.

If you have a thermistor feedback device, you could get fancy & have the fan auto adjust by temp -- like a PSU fan. But that's probably going overboard.

The 2 settings available, 6V and 12V, seem extreme. Why not 9V too? We should all write Arctic Cooling and request this change. They are already making 3-speed fan versions of their CPU coolers, so it's not as if they don't already have the tooling...

Copper Silent 2M - 3 Selectable Rotation Speeds