VGA SILENCER REV 2 AND ATI AIW 9800 PRO

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PCGUY

VGA SILENCER REV 2 AND ATI AIW 9800 PRO

Post by PCGUY » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:15 am

I was comparing the VGA SILENCER revision 2 metal plate (the one which has the fan control) to that of ATI AIW 9800 pro output http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album and they DO NOT match :cry:

I bought the revsion 2 based on the compatibility list mentioned by arctic cooling that this revsion will fit ALL aiw cards :o

Can somebody post pictures of revsion 2 on ATI AIW 9800 PRO especially the plate from the back of the case?

Joudbren

Post by Joudbren » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:58 pm

The plate does not line up and is not to be used according to an email I got from the manufacturer regarding mine. They simply indicated to use the original plate and to leave the slot next to the VGA card open. This works 'ok' I guess but I had to remove the speed switch from the silencer plate and leave it dangling in the case. I also used tin snips to cut the provided grounding shim in half so I could still use the bottom half of that at least to ground the silencer. Apparently some people are having all kinds of problems (lock-ups, etc.) if the silencer is not grounded. I think they should have included another plate that fits the AIW series but oh well. Still works not too bad but man does that thing get HOT on the slow speed setting! And be careful tightening down the bracket on the back, I ended up with a slight crack in mine from overtightening but seems to be ok. Cheers!

James

PCGUY

Post by PCGUY » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:29 pm

Joudbren,

Thanks for your reply. The fan is shrink wrapped to the plate - I did not open the shrink wrap - Is the fan soldered or is it a simple molex connector? Can you post some pictures from the back...

Joudbren

Post by Joudbren » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:09 pm

Sorry, can't do the pics as I recently removed the Silencer and installed it on my wifes 9700 pro. Needed some extra heat exhausted from her case and with the lower temps of the 9700 pro the Silencer seems to work pretty good for her. Ended up putting my Zalman 80C and OP1 fan back on my AIW 9800 pro. I have overclocked my AIW to 9800xt speeds and the Zalman seems to keep up a little better with the temperature swings when I'm gaming. Silencer is ok but needs to be on high speed to do the same job and Zalman is quieter in this scenario. Your mileage may vary! Cheers!

James