Arctic Cooling VGA silencer and ti4200

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Arctic Cooling VGA silencer and ti4200

Post by matt_garman » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:59 pm

I have an nVidia Geforce4 ti4200 AGP graphics card (specifically, the one made by ASUS; I can't remember the model number off-hand).

Right now, I'm using the stock heatsink and fan for the video card. I'm not overclocking the video card, but it still seems to produce a lot of added case heat. I'm interested in the Arctic Cooling VGA silencer specifically for blowing some of that heat out the back of the case (hopefully lowering my overall case temps).

Has anyone happened to use this VGA silencer with their ASUS ti-4200 VGA card (or any ti-4200)?

Arctic Cooling's website says that their VGA cooler should work with most geForce3 cards...

Thanks!
Matt

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:05 pm

Hi matt, I suspect it won't fit with out considerable modification but I don't know for sure. The home page for it it here and here is a PDF document that gives all the dimensions for it. If the mounting hole spacing is the same as your card it may be possible to make it fit. Its only $9.99 from Newegg (US) or £6 from ebuyer (UK) so you may think its worth playing with. There are home made versions around using various small (and not so small) heatsinks, case fans, cardboard for ducting etc. A search through this forum would uncover a few.
The Zalman ZM80C would fit on your card and is silent but doesn't solve the case heat problem.
Seb

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by matt_garman » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:57 pm

For what it's worth, my video card is an ASUS V9280/TD. I finally got un-lazy: I actually took the card out, took measurements, and compared them to the schematic on Arctic Cooling's site.

Have actually measured the card, I'm quite sure that the VGA Silencer would not fit.

While I had the case open, I temporarily stopped the stock fan on my VGA card---definate reduction in noise! That video card fan is a tiny-mite that makes a noticeable, high-pitched whine.

So I went ahead and bought the Zalman heat pipe VGA cooler and the bracket/fan add-on. I don't think the heat situation will get any worse, but at least it should get quieter.

Darkhound

Post by Darkhound » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:21 am

Zalman recommend removing the PCI cover below the card to reduce case temps, they say by up to 5 degrees, but I cant verify this.