p4c800e-dlx chipset active cooling? what is best?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

buddhaboi

p4c800e-dlx chipset active cooling? what is best?

Post by buddhaboi » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:16 am

hey guys... i got a p4c800e-dlx and the northbridge stock heatsink gets really hot.... now i want a cooling solution that will both cool down my northbridge while remaining silent... please advise guys....

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:38 am

Why do you feel that you need more NB cooling? Do you have some sort of instability? The NB generally runs fairly hot and I'm sure the Asus heatsink would be quite sufficient, otherwise why would they use it?

Any active cooler with a typical 40mm fan on it is going to be waay too loud.

You could try a Zalman FB123 bracket with a 5V L1A Panaflo suspended over the NB heatsink for some extra cooling. At least that would be quiet.

buddhaboi

Post by buddhaboi » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:42 am

i want more cooling on my NB because i've been trying to oc my 2.8c lately... and have had poor stability problems... i've been reading through articles and most ppl say that the NB overheats a lot when overclocking, this is why i would like to cool down the NB more to see if i can push my 2.8c that much furthur.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:17 pm

buddhaboi wrote:i want more cooling on my NB because i've been trying to oc my 2.8c lately... and have had poor stability problems... i've been reading through articles and most ppl say that the NB overheats a lot when overclocking, this is why i would like to cool down the NB more to see if i can push my 2.8c that much furthur.
The general consensus seems to be that you're fine until you start going over 250-260 FSB. Anything under that is fine with passive cooling.

If you feel that it will help, try my "fan suspended on FB123 bracket" suggestion. It's the quietest way to do this. For possibley even better cooling, you could combine that with an aftermarket passive heatsink like one of the two Zalmans on this page.