Can a CRT screen be noisefree?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:31 pm

My own (s)Compaq MV700 was very noisy. Now I've bought a 19" AOC, which is very, very quiet, but still have a light hum, depending on what's on the screen.

I'm considering buying a new one, but if it cant be totally quiet anyway, I can just as well stay with this AOC, since it's pretty quiet and suit me in all other aspects, including a good second-hand price.

The new ones I'm considering, is ViewSonic E96f+SB and Philips 109E50.

Thanks.

PS: I'm somewhat unsure of this is the proper forum, or I should have used "Off topic"...
PPS: I'm not interested in flatscreens.

QuietOC

Re: Can a CRT screen be noisefree?

Post by QuietOC » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:34 am

Thomas wrote:The new ones I'm considering, is ViewSonic E96f+SB and Philips 109E50.
Viewsonic seems to be making junk CRTs recently. My company has had quite a few newer 21" Viewsonic CRTs go up in smoke.

I have been pretty happy with my new, cheap 19" Samsung CRT--other than it doesn't produce a real dark black.

Gojira-X

Post by Gojira-X » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:54 am

I have a 17" DifFusion e700 FST CRT, it is quiet in operation but seems to make the vga cable with a low frequency vibration (not enough to bother me at all).

Aside from that, i'd say it is prolly the closest a CRT comes to being quiet (unless you turn the monitor on then off and back again or degaus it).

I am also selling this monitor, im looking for £50 plus shipping, but im open for offers for it.

if you want more details about it pm/email me.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:31 pm

Thanks guys. Well, after checking a couple more CRT's, I've came to the conclusion, that they often hum. At least when used for some months.

I've found a Samsung TFT, which is pretty good for BOTH gaming and picture editing (which I need), so I decided to raise my budget, and I ordered a 970P. Shold be here in a few days 8) :D

patord

Post by patord » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:52 pm

CRTs can eventually have atleast two sources of "noise":

1. power inverter coil noise (either from a low end monitor with crappy filtering/shielding components or a very old monitor with severely high usage hours)

2. high frequency noise due to high refresh rates

See:
http://www.sceptre.com/Support/Faq/CRTmonitors.htm#17

Over time, older CRTs have a difficult time handling refresh rates at their maximum values causing them to emit high frequency whining as their electron guns age and/or shift out of alignment.

Some newer monitors may suffer with such noise when displaying at the threshold of their specifications.

I've had a bunch of older Trinitron based CRTs that I've bump the refresh rates from 85hz to 75hz to stop the high freq noise.

Kevin Ar18

Post by Kevin Ar18 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:40 pm

I have a Sony Trinitron monitor (model: Multiscan E400), and I don't think it makes any noise, however, I have other stuff making noise as well, so I can't really tell. If you are interested in the monitor, however, I could check for you.

On another note, why don't you want an LCD monitor?
Persnally, I can think of several reasons:
1) Bad response times (for monitors without overdrive technology)
2) Poorer color reproduction (incuding range of colors, constrast, and the ability to produce true black).
3) Locked into one resolution, unless your willing to sacrifice quality.

On the other hand there are benefits:
1) Sharp picture (at one resolution only, with exceptions).
2) Supposedly reduce eyestrain due to no flicker (might not be true?)
3) Size -- this is really pointless to choosing a good display (unless you have very limited room). However, this does add to the "neatness" factor.

sure will be nice once OLED displays replace both CRTs and LCDs for monitors... no more worring about which one to choose.

Thomas

Why not TFT?

Post by Thomas » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:20 am

Well, as mentioned, I've changed my mind, and have ordered a Samsung TFT.

But the main reason for why I originally didnt want a TFT, was the challenge in finding one which was capable of BOTH image editing AND gaming.

The Samsung seems to be good in both areas, at least at the levels where I game and edit photos. Add in that it appears that many CRT's have more or less noise, then the desicion was easy.

The saved space is only a bonus, not a nessetity.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:52 pm

I have an old (2001) Philips Brilliance 202P4 no noise at all , although it is becoming brighter and
brighter as time progresses - showing age I guess but it runs at 1600 x1200 at 85 hz for 12 hrs
per day I would buy the same again , but it is no longer made. so I have been looking at LCD
monitors .I prefer CRT but it looks like LCD is becoming the only option for quality monitors.
All my other monitors except for another Philips (107p) are LCD.

kater

Post by kater » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:43 pm

i just wanted to say that my experience is that even good CRT monitors will start buzzing after some time. well, my NEC multisync FE700 is a really decent CRT but it has recently started to buzz - slightly, but audibly. even worse - it's close to your ears. my previous NEC also buzzed during its last months, i remember that. i think i'll order a new LCD NEC next month and finally get rid of this really nasty sound. naturally, after a while you just don't realize it's there, but other than that it certanly does get on one's nerves (grrr, where's my trusty axe?). correct me if i'mwrong - LCDs do not make sounds, right? (unless dropped on the floor - then you get some 70 dBA, depeding how high your desk is).

The Internal

Post by The Internal » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:44 pm

most the big guys who made quality CRTs are no longer in the business of making CRTs, such as Sony.
You'll probably have better luck jumping over to a newer generation of LCD. They seem to have most the kinks ironed out in alot of the newer models. Still good to research around, but as someone that was reluctant to switch over from CRT to LCD, I've been rather happy with my Dell 24". It's silent or darn near it and looks purty for games and movies.