Recommendations for a VGA cooler: x1900xt

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

davyjoneslocker

Recommendations for a VGA cooler: x1900xt

Post by davyjoneslocker » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:05 am

Think it's time i try out VGA cooling.

There are quiet a few out there, but I have specifics on what im looking for.

1.) Something that does not require extreme measures to install.

2.) Something that cools the Video card nicely.

3.) The quieter the better.

I have read some of the threads in here and keep seeing the ThermalRight HR-03 popping up. I see you can use it as a passive cooler, or mount a 92mm fan on it as well.

My question is what would give me very good performance while at the same time, not making a whole lot of noise.

Would it best to maybe buy a HR-03, DON'T mount a fan on it, but instead, maybe some how put some other coolers in my case (may ask what is the best way to do this later) and aim them towards the VGA cooler?

Just looking for insight and help here from a guy is pretty new to cooling.

Oh, my system so far, which will be built later this week:

Core 2 Duo: E6600, have a SI-128 HS (but im having second thoughts... :( )
Gigabyte DS-3
ATI x1900xt

I appreciate recommendations and feedback.

DJL

davyjoneslocker

Post by davyjoneslocker » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:53 am

Let me put a few VGA coolers down and maybe that will help.

1.) ThermalRIght HR-03.
I have read some bits that this might require removing some things on the video card?

2.) Arctic Cooling Accelero X2

3.) Zalman VF900

Like I said, something that will cool nicely and is quiet.

How well does the HR-03 cool when in passive mode?

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:07 am

The X1900XT won't be passively cooled by a HR-03, unless you have very good case airflow - and a lot of noise.
A 7900 GTX runs about 20-25W less than your X1900XT and it can't be properly cooled passively with the HR-03, with low case airflow.
However adding even a low-speed 92 mm fan to the HR-03 will improve the cooling a lot.

davyjoneslocker

Post by davyjoneslocker » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:20 am

Tzupy wrote:The X1900XT won't be passively cooled by a HR-03, unless you have very good case airflow - and a lot of noise.
A 7900 GTX runs about 20-25W less than your X1900XT and it can't be properly cooled passively with the HR-03, with low case airflow.
However adding even a low-speed 92 mm fan to the HR-03 will improve the cooling a lot.
So my best bet would be to add the HR-03 with a fan of some sort.
Would it be best to mount the fan directly on top of the heatsink? Or should, I put some fans towards the front of my case? I have a coolermaster Centurian with a 80mm fan in the front. Maybe I can put more in the case some how? STill learning the cooling business.

thanks

darthan

Post by darthan » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:30 pm

It is probably easiest to just put a fan undervolted on the video card cooler. Or, if you can adapt it, plug the fan into the video card so you can use ATITool to control it's speed as card temperature varies.

davyjoneslocker

Post by davyjoneslocker » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:26 pm

darthan wrote:It is probably easiest to just put a fan undervolted on the video card cooler. Or, if you can adapt it, plug the fan into the video card so you can use ATITool to control it's speed as card temperature varies.
I appreciate the help.

Could I trouble you to explain what you mean by "undervolted"?

Are you also saying to just leave the stock cooler on, and point a fan at it?

I am still learning here.

Thanks

nici

Post by nici » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:46 pm

Undervolting means running something below the specified running voltage, like running a 12V fan at 5V. Or the CPU at 1.2V instead of 1.4V(just an example). Undervolting does not affect performance of the CPU or GPU, it just reduces heat. Though running a lower voltage probably will reduce your overcklocking potential.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:30 am

The best cooling / noise ratio will be with a fan mounted on the HR-03. Plugging it into the video card would be nice if it works, but you can damage the card with a 'wrong' fan.
My advice is to put a 1,500 - 1,600 rpm 92 mm fan on the HR-03 and use a fan controller to find the acceptable temperature spots for 2D and 3D.