Hybrid SLI

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tresstump

Hybrid SLI

Post by Tresstump » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:43 pm

Just stumbled upon this article about Hybrid SLI Technology. Thought it may be of interest some some people over here

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/disp ... 83756.html

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:51 pm

definitely a move in the right direction.

NOW MAKE IT FOR LAPTOPS
shouting intentional

Max Slowik

Post by Max Slowik » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:57 pm

That's what it's for, laptops. I saw one ATI is working on, they're in early engineer sampling already.

Max Slowik

Post by Max Slowik » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:03 pm

I also saw spy camera phone shots of a dock MSI is working on with a PCI-Express card built into it.

cienislaw

Post by cienislaw » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:03 am

cloneman wrote:NOW MAKE IT FOR LAPTOPS
why only for laptops? most of my time when i work, i spend in 2D, so then 3D power can sleep and dont bother me with heat, power consumption and noise. when i turn something which is 3d (mostly games), then switch for full blown 3d mode. it should be already done, its a shame that now they see such need and make big halo from it.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:33 am

It's a great idea for both laptops & desktops, for a number of reasons. The reason why I stress "make it for laptops" is because the notebook gaming community is usually quite neglected in general.

If this technology works as they claim it does, you would no longer have to choose between power saving and performance. You could have the best of both worlds in one package, and actually more - because the integrated VGA would actually be contributing to 3D rendering in 3D mode, instead of doing nothing.

This would also enable SLI setups in laptops without compromising non-gaming battery life.

It's a great idea for desktops as well, but that laptop owners would have the most practical benefits.

One large benefit for desktops would be maybe making the silencing task no longer necessary. If the Video Card(s) only need cooling when 3D mode is active (and the integrated VGA is passive) it might remove the need for after market 3D cooling altogether. I personally don't mind fan noise that much when gaming, because I usually have the speakers/headphones turned up.