Why does this product not exist?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zak

Why does this product not exist?

Post by zak » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:35 pm

I would like to replace the cooler on my 4200ti, but the Zalman is a bit big and maybe not a good enough cooler. But this:

might be okay. The hheatsink of a 1U CPU cooler may be low enough to not eat an extra slot, the airflow is much more efficient than with an on-card fan. And the fan can be largher. I guess a radial fan would be better here because of the desired pressire, but axial may be fine.

The red thing is the tunnel; it would be made of clear plastic. It could also be mounted on top of the card, maybe with the fan in 'suck' mode.

Hmm.. maybe I should just try to make this.. first find a reasonably priced 1U cooler...

Thomas

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:46 pm

dynatron makes some good copper 1 and 2U coolers that you could mod on a video card. You are describing a arctic cooling vga silencer. But your way has a problem. When you blow air through a duct that is smaller than the fan size alot of turbulence noise is created. I learned this recently when I made a cone shaped duct on my front intake to cool the hardrive. It may be better to just get a 1 or 2u heatsink and drill holes to make it fit the video card and just put a quiet fan on it.

zak

Turbulence

Post by zak » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:32 pm

The difference with teh VGA silencer is that this cooler would fit any card hwere the heatsink fits as the tunnel can be but to work around obstacles.

The reason I do not want a fan over the heatsink is the PCI slot. Not that I would miss it now, but it is the last slot left.

Finally I think the turbulence depends on numerous factors. A CPU fan also blows into a tighter space, for example - and so would a fan sitting on top of a 1U sink. But a radial type fan may have fewer problems with this.

I'm changing the picture a bit to show that the fan is inside tha fcase, and the width of the card...

Thomas