reserator1 question

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

malcky h

reserator1 question

Post by malcky h » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:05 am

anyone have their reserator cooling a a64 3000 or above, nf4 nb & a x850xtpe gpu?

i have all of the above but not cooled with the reserator (the res is on my htpc rig: a64 3200 & ati 9800pro)

just wondered if the reserator could cope with my new gear?

cheers

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:55 am

I have a similar setup, but without the chipset waterblock and a X800XT PE instead of the X850XT PE. My K8N-E Deluxe has no fan on the chipset, so a waterblock there is useless for me. My Reserator is cooling both my Athlon64 3400+ (S754) and the Radeon X800XT PE (AGP) without trouble. The temperature of the CPU is 34°C right now and 38°C for the GPU. The ambient temperature is 26°C. The only fan in my case is an undervolted Nexus 120mm @ 700RPM. After a few hours of gaming, the temperatures are still very good, and they are far from critical. Both my GPU and CPU are usually near 50°C.

BTW, I have the previous version of the Reserator, the new one comes with a better GPU waterblock and an improved CPU waterblock. I don't think that another waterblock for the northbridge would have a significant impact. I saw a picture of the Reserator 1 Plus where the GPU, the CPU, the northbridge and the PSU were cooled in the same loop.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:52 am

er one correction:

the new reserator comes with a lesser quality cpu block. its dinky, its cheaper, and it probably, probably works just the same.

the old one is very heavy, which isnt necessary as the water and not the metal do 90% of the cooling. supposedly at least. youll see some danger den blocks with PLASTIC on top for a clear top, and a simple plate of copper on bottom. thats it. very light compared. so, its the flow and the cooling at the tower.

I do like the new resPlus gpu heatsink better. it has a turn around which increases water contact with metal instead of a straight shot that doesnt get enough time/surface area to extract the heat. However, it works fine.

should be noted: that a x800 XL uses less heat and power than a 9800 pro does. The old res 1 does it fine, the PE im not sure about. the 850, well, thats expensive thing and oc'd so I would only use the new res Plus thing.

I'll always use the original waterblock though, it has a mass so great that it could absorb any fluctuation in heat the way I think about it.
plus it looks sexy.

I hate the new black tower. I'm sure it dissipates slightly more heat being black, but eh, i rather blue. looks sexy.