One-fan AMD-64 3000+: Ninja or NCU-2005?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Filias Cupio

One-fan AMD-64 3000+: Ninja or NCU-2005?

Post by Filias Cupio » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:00 pm

I've got an AMD-64 3000+ (Venice) system, currently with stock heatsink, fan running at 5V, plus a 120mm case fan and fanless (Silverstone) PSU. I'd like to make it a one-fan system by replacing the heatsink. I can get the Scythe Ninja or NCU-2005 fanless heatsinks locally (quietpc.co.nz.) Any advice on which I should get? I'm tending towards the NCU-2005, as it is significantly lighter (although a bit more expensive) and I figure that my CPU is a pretty low-power one. I'm nervous about hanging the weight of the Ninja off my motherboard.

Further info: case is an Acousticase C6607 tower case - appears to be the same internally as the Antec SLK3000B from the pictures. It has 120 mm fan mounting points front bottom, and rear just below PSU. Currently my fan is blowing in from the front and exhausing through the PSU (rear fan grill blocked so it doesn't exit there). With a fanless heatsink, I'd probably move the fan to blow out the rear instead, to give more air movement around the heatsink.

(I'll post to the gallery at some point, but perhaps not until I have the heatsink upgraded. I also have a very tidy suspension of the HD.)

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:27 pm

I don't think you need to worry about the weight of the Ninja, it's mostly in the base. I know it looks a bit scary, but once you pick it up you'll see that the fins are really light. In the system I built, the mounting seems really secure and didn't appear to put any stress on the motherboard. The NCU-2005 I'm not too sure about, I've never held one but the fins seem more substantial and could create more leverage on the motherboard. I think that the Ninja is an better design because it is non-directional, so it won't block air movement in any direction. This will benefit the other components in your system.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:39 pm

I have an NCU-2005, and can tell you that the copper base easily accounts for 90-95% of the total weight of the heatsink. I don't own a Ninja, but according to SPCR's review, it is very similar in weight distribution to the NCU-2005.

Personally I'd get the Ninja.