GA-MA78GM-S2H reboots instead of resuming from S3 (STR)

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

yuckhil

GA-MA78GM-S2H reboots instead of resuming from S3 (STR)

Post by yuckhil » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:02 am

The common, "I reinstalled Windows and it doesn't work now" problem. I used to set my Leadtek TV tuner card to wake up the PC from S3 (STR), record a TV show and then return it to standby. I would get home and press the power button, and see the desktop after a few seconds.

Then I had to reinstall WinXP (no hardware change and formatted HDD) and now I find that the TV tuner card does not wake up the PC from standby. So I press the power button and it reboots as though I had pressed reset or else it was off instead of in standby. If I set S1 (POS) in the BIOS, then it resumes properly. Any idea what I can do to get S3 working again? Thanks heaps.

BTW, previously I remember seeing, "Enable S3 for USB Device" in Add/Remove, but it's not there now.

--------------------
| GA-MA78GM-S2H v1.1 - F7, ATi 9.1 | 4850e | 2x 1GB DDR2-800 | PxDVR3200H | SB Live! 5.1 | WinXP SP3 |
Last edited by yuckhil on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psiu

Post by psiu » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:13 am

http://forum.giga-byte.nl/index.php?topic=509.0

basically find your mobo disk and install the s3 usb utility.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:46 am

does this board have usb power selection jumpers that need changing?

yuckhil

Post by yuckhil » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:26 pm

Thanks, I installed the utility from the mobo CD, but there's no improvement. What are USB power selection jumpers? I find no mention in the mobo manual.

I'm not using a USB device to wake up the PC. I'm using a PCIe TV tuner card or the chassis power button. WinXP displays, "Preparing to standby..." but then when I wake it up, it boots as though it had shut down. But I know that it didn't shut down, because Firefox asks whether I want to restore previous session. Thanks.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:24 am

I would suggest disconnecting all USB peripherals and seeing if it resumes properly then. You might also try removing PCI cards etc, but it usually seems to be USB stuff that is problematic for some reason.

yuckhil wrote:Thanks, I installed the utility from the mobo CD, but there's no improvement. What are USB power selection jumpers? I find no mention in the mobo manual...
Some motherboards have jumpers to set whether particular peripherals are supplied with power during suspend, to aid compatibility.

yuckhil

Post by yuckhil » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:36 pm

Thanks Evil. I disconnected the only USB device, a WiFi adapter. No improvement. So I pulled the SB Live! and the Leadtek TV tuner. Presto, resumes from S3, I see the taskbar and desktop icons for a couple seconds and then everything disappears except the mouse pointer. Only option is hard reset; not even Ctrl+Alt+Del responds.

So I reinserted the two cards and found that the situation is unchanged, i.e. resume still displays the desktop for a couple seconds before it dies. Now I'm thinking it might be due to the F7 BIOS that I flashed recently. Is it safe for me to re-flash the BIOS with an older version, i.e. F5, which I had before? Thanks.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:21 pm

Yes you can reflash with an old BIOS. Have you tried using MCE Standby Tool?

psiu

Post by psiu » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:28 pm

yuckhil wrote:Thanks Evil. I disconnected the only USB device, a WiFi adapter. No improvement. So I pulled the SB Live! and the Leadtek TV tuner. Presto, resumes from S3, I see the taskbar and desktop icons for a couple seconds and then everything disappears except the mouse pointer. Only option is hard reset; not even Ctrl+Alt+Del responds.

So I reinserted the two cards and found that the situation is unchanged, i.e. resume still displays the desktop for a couple seconds before it dies. Now I'm thinking it might be due to the F7 BIOS that I flashed recently. Is it safe for me to re-flash the BIOS with an older version, i.e. F5, which I had before? Thanks.
That's a hardware change to me!
This is why if the BIOS works, I don't change it.

I use MST on my media center also, I love it.

yuckhil

Post by yuckhil » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:02 am

Yes, sorry I forgot about that.

I tried MST. I don't know whether I'm using it correctly - I set the standby type to S3 and left the tool in the system tray, but it didn't help. So I tried the previous BIOS versions F5 and F4. It still reboots instead of resuming; I don't even get the desktop momentarily. No USB devices connected. Thanks.