Infrared thermometer recommendation

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

comomolo

Infrared thermometer recommendation

Post by comomolo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:06 am

I'm after a reasonably priced, good enough infrared thermometer. I've seen pretty cheap ones on eBay, I've also seen very expensive ones there. I'm an ignorant, I can't tell the difference.

I would love some help about this, to buy something I can trust without spending a fortune in a super-precise device.

Thanks for any help.

quest_for_silence

Re: Infrared thermometer recommendation

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:56 am

I think that something like the Beurer FT-60 could be quite adequate (I don't know if it's available in Spain, in Italy it costs about 30-40 euros).

comomolo

Post by comomolo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Yes, it's available in Spain for around that same amount, but it seems to be a medical thermometer with a very short range (34º to 42.2º C)... I'm looking for a thermometer to use in checking PC temperatures. Typical range would be -30 to 300º C or even wider.

This is the cheapest thing on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.es/Noncontact-Infrared- ... 1e5c43c6c7

Is it worth it?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:30 am

comomolo wrote:Yes, it's available in Spain for around that same amount, but it seems to be a medical thermometer with a very short range (34º to 42.2º C)

I'm sorry but you have grossly misunderstood: THAT IS NOT the instruments temp range, it is just the range to which its claimed accuracy ratings are referred to, AND ONLY WHEN used as a forehead thermometer!

Up to 80-100°C it's quite ok: I currently use it, one of its function is to measure hot fluids' temperature, and I've also measured my chimney's external temperature (more than 70°C on the metal). Indeed it's a 3-in-1 thermometer, for forehead, ambient and surface temps.
I think if you should have any heatsink at more than 70-80°C inside your PC, then you would have some SERIOUS problems.

I don't know if the linked eBay item is any better, I have serious doubt it can be, due to its extremely low price and somehow ridicolous specs: however, just right due to its extremely low price, it might even worth a try.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:38 am

For what it is worth, the last time I was in a Fry's store they had 3 or 4 such infrared thermometers of varying size and cost.

mkk

Post by mkk » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:31 am

By looking at the specs of various inexpensive IR temperature readers another important factor seems to be the precision or focus of the beam. Some may have a 1:1 relation to distance/area, meaning at 10cm distance the measured area can be as large as a 10cm wide circle. That'd make one such device hard to use effectively for other things than foreheads or the inside of ears.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:09 am

Dumb question:

Under what conditions, and for what purpose do you use these devices to measure what components for what kind of temperatures?

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:46 pm

Depending on what you're doing, you can use an infrared filter on your camera for visual-relative temp readings.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:35 pm

ces wrote:Dumb question:

Under what conditions, and for what purpose do you use these devices to measure what components for what kind of temperatures?

As an example, let me quote you from another thread:
I can grope all over the board and not find anything hot except for this little transformer-like copper coil
With an infrared thermometer you wouldn't have to grope around to find hot spots/areas, it's a convenient tool. There are of course other, more non-trivial, situations where this kind of thermometer are a necessity; temp too high for a thermocouple, the object is in motion or has a high voltage.

comomolo

Post by comomolo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:38 am

mkk wrote:By looking at the specs of various inexpensive IR temperature readers another important factor seems to be the precision or focus of the beam. Some may have a 1:1 relation to distance/area, meaning at 10cm distance the measured area can be as large as a 10cm wide circle. That'd make one such device hard to use effectively for other things than foreheads or the inside of ears.
That's a very good point. I'll try to check it on the models I'm researching.

comomolo

Post by comomolo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:43 am

ces wrote:Dumb question:

I have a workshop/lab where I build computers and design configurations, cases and airflows. The temperatures I'll be checking are those inside the computer and its components.

Eventually, I'd need to check for very high temperatures. For instance, I'm repairing a laptop right now and all indicates it needs a reflow. Doing a reflow properly with a heat gun requires control of the temperatures which could go as high as 300º C

comomolo

Post by comomolo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:49 am

quest_for_silence wrote:Up to 80-100°C it's quite ok
Now that I've asked the "dumb question" (which wasn't dumb at all, obviously) you'll understand that thermometer doesn't suit me.

After some research, I've come to conclude a suitable model would be the Fluke 62, also marketed as Raytek MT6. This is the type of thermometer I'm after. Of course, the lower the price for a device like that, the better. Most of them probably use the same or similar sensor. I'll have to check the are measured though, as pointed above.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:56 am

comomolo wrote:Now that I've asked the "dumb question" (which wasn't dumb at all, obviously) you'll understand that thermometer doesn't suit me.

Yeah, now that you've answered to ces' question, it's clearer why and how you need some different infrared thermometer! :wink:

Klusu

Post by Klusu » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:05 am

comomolo wrote:
ces wrote: as high as 300º C
Only if you want to check the T of the heatgun...
One limitation is an IR thermometer does not measure correctly on a metal surface.
Distance/area is important, but there is one more thing (never specified) - the initial width of the beam, at 2mm distance or so.