My plans for a quiet HTPC - need advice/criticism

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

paulrb

Post by paulrb » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:52 pm

Linus,

Fair enough, I'll remember your advice if/when cooling or noise turns out to be a problem. The case is going to live in an enclosed (but fairly roomy) cabinet, so this will help mask the noise but may cause further cooling problems. The grills, or holes left behind when they're gone, won't be visible.

Paul

freka586

Post by freka586 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:50 am

paulrb,

I'm following this thread with great interest!
I think your choice in components this far look great.
In fact almost all parts are exactly what I consider for my spring-HTPC-project.

What is the timeline for your project - when do you plan to order?
Looking forward to hearing every detail on the assembly and the final performance!

paulrb

Post by paulrb » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:04 am

Hi freka586,

I really should get started soon. My "significant other" is between contracts now, maybe only for 3 weeks or so. So she will be at home to receive deliveries. Normally there's no-one at home during the day, which makes ordering over the internet difficult, as most couriers insist on a signature. Our neighbours aren't always in either.

But I'm still concerned over choice of PSU and CPU cooling. Its very quiet where we live and we have no kids, so we're used to having it that way. So I want this thing to be as close to silent as I can get it.

What parts would you choose different to me and why?

freka586

Post by freka586 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:09 pm

Well, mainly I would probably go for a cheaper/cooler GPU.
But this is because I have no old card to use - if I had your passive Radeon I'd use that!

For PSU the best bet seems to be a 340W(?) Seasonic 120mm.
That power should be more than enough for such a system.
With your components the PSU fan would be running slowly and not cause much sound.

On CPU cooling side I am very interested to hear on your decisions and success.
As always it is a matter of cooling vs. space on mainboard and case.
Passive cooling or a large, slow fan would be ideal but the question is *how* big cooling can fit?

In general I think such a setup would be very quiet.
I have read about other users that have P4 systems with rather moderately quiet components.
Such systems are reported to be inaudible from a "sofa-position" (2-3m) and almost inaudible from close range (0.5-1m).
Then again, I'm an HTPC newbie (haven't even started building) and the info from the P4-users could be purely BS ;)

On a more serious side I have a hard time imagining a quiter system that could perform the tasks you want.
Possibly a slower CPU, but undervolting the XP-M would give similar results.
The GPU could result in higher case temps which in turn *could* cause the case fan to make noise.
But an 80mm case fan can push a decent amount of air at low RPMs.

Good luck with your choices and feel free to discuss your considerations if you're getting second thoughts about something!

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:33 pm

I would go A64 w/ DFI's 754 board if I was you, undervolted along with a thermalright 12cm cooler and 12cm Seasonic PSU, though I dunno what to tell you about the onboard sound. The board supports "8CH Audio(Dolby 7.1, 8ch supported)" and if that's not good enough, M-audio makes great PCI cards that allow for 5.1 or 7.1 sound.

Also, Antec's Aria case combined with a micro ATX mobo would be very quiet, esp. if the intake vents are opened a little more and the single exhaust fan is replaced with a Nexus 12cm.

EDIT: I can't find Edward Ng's data, but he's had great success with that setup, though in a tower setup. He managed to run fanless, w/o an exhaust fan too, using only the PSU fan for exhaust at... some speed and voltage.

You'd prob. need a fan, though only a very slow nexus 12cm (or Papst 12cm if you're not willing to modify the corners of Nexus).

freka586

Post by freka586 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:23 am

Trip: The main problem for me with such a setup would be the price.
MB+CPU would add over 50% to the price (1300 SEK vs. 2000 SEK).
And since I would also need a decent soundcard this adds another 1000 SEK, bringing the total addition to over 130% (1300 vs. 3000).

Then again, these differences are not HUGE, if there is a real gain I *might* be able to live with the added expense.
In what way is the A64 to prefer over the XP-M, if I do not need the computing power?
Wouldn't an XP-M draw fewer Watts even with CnQ and underclocking on the A64?

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:12 am

Oh, if you don't need the CPU power and would need an additional sound card...

One advantage is the 64-bit compatibility.

Also, the DFI board undervolts and underclocks particularly well.

I dunno how cool XP-M and that mobo would run though.

here, here, and... I still can't find the thread. I'll PM Ed and see if he'll post a link here.

EDIT: here it is. EDIT2: corrected third and most relevant link.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:56 pm

So, did that help?

paulrb

Post by paulrb » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:51 pm

Trip,

I don't know if you were asking me or freka586...

At the moment, I am just looking at XP-M so I can have soundstorm.

Paul

Reesh

Post by Reesh » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:09 pm

Hey paulrb, great thread.

I'm in a very similar situation as you, currently trying to build a silent HTPC to integrate with my A/V receiver.

Here is what I had in mind, and I also had some questions for you and everyone else out there about how compatible these parts are.

Case: Antec SLK-3000B
Question: Is there a smaller and/or cooler looking case for a HTPC? A desktop case like the Silverstone would be great but I can't see myself spending that much! I don't mind having a tower case.

Motherboard AN7 (I've pretty much decided this is what I want because of the integrated SPDIF I/O)
Question: Newegg sells the OEM for $65 and the retail for $94, is the warranty the only difference between the two or are there other connectors that I will miss out on with the OEM version?

CPU: Athlon Mobile 2500+ which I plan to overclock

CPU cooler: SI-97 with Nexus 92mm fan
Question: will the si-97 fit on this motherboard with the active NB cooler? I plan on eventually replacing this cooler with the Zalman heatsink, and so I guess the next question is will the zalman heatsink and SI-97 fit together on this board?

PSU: My brand new Seasonic Super Tornado 350W :)

Video card: Currently have a S3 Savage 2000 (I know, I'm one of the 10 people that bought this card :oops: I plan on upgrading but I will probably wait a while to save cash for a 6600GT AGP
Question: This savage is AGP 4x only, will this work on the AN7?

Sound card: Onboard soundstorm for optical connections, and my current Turtlebeach Santa Cruz :) for analogs to my Z-640s

Tv Tuner: still looking, probably will look at a Hauppauge PVR-250, I'm also considering adding an HD Tuner like ATI HD Wonder instead of the Hauppauge

Media Drive: NEC 3520 Dual layer burner

I'm really excited about building this but my main concerns are with the SI-97 and Zalman heatsink causing problems with each other on this board. Also I'm close to purchasing these parts soon, so any input on whether I shoudl get the the OEM AN7 vs the retail would be appreciated.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:53 pm

My post was directed at freka586. Another option is Pentium M in an Antec Aria case. That might have already been mentioned though.

freka586

Post by freka586 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:14 am

Trip:

Actually, I am also leaning towards XP-M solution, mainly because to me total cost is more important than performance.

But my project will be on hold 'til sometime during spring, so there is plenty of time to change my mind until then :)

Looking forward to any build progress, to see how big/efficient cooling can be used with that MB and case!

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:23 pm

XP-M is a good choice :)

thread debating XP-M vs. A64 right now, though the only way to be sure which offers more power with passive cooling is with testing. Also like you say, price is important.

paulrb

Post by paulrb » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:54 am

Reesh,

I looked all over for cases. I wanted desktop with alu front panel, full-height expansion slots, full-size ATX m/b and full-size ATX PSU. There are very few alternatives. So the case is going to be the single most expensive component! But that's OK - it will have the longest usefull life, with several generations of components living in it.

I considered the AN7. IFAIK, it only goes down to 1.5 or 1.6 core CPU voltage. Fine if you want to o/c your XP-M. But I want minimum heat & noise, so I want 1.45V. So at the moment I'm looking at NF7-S (v2). It only has SP/DIFF out, but I have no use for SP/DIFF in that I can think of.

Coolers are a concern. In the LC01, the PSU is very close to the m/b. I will have to choose carefully - many coolers just won't fit. On the plus side, if I choose a PSU with a 12cm fan, this will be very close to the CPU cooler and with any luck will draw lots of air over/through it. At the moment I am looking at something like Aerocool HT-101 or 101 Jr or Zalman flower. Might even work passive, or with just a very slow/quiet 80mm fan. I will have to make sure it will avoid the passive zalman northbridge cooler I plan to use.

So how is that Super Tornado? Currently my favourite choice.

Most AGP 4x cards will work fine with 8x motherboards. The only thing you have to wory about is voltages, and to prevent damage, if they are the wrong voltage, they just won't slot in, because the notch in the connector is in the wong place.

Are you sure you can use both the soundstorm and your Santa Cruz at the same time? You may have to disable on-board sound to make use of an add-in card, but I could be wrong.

Paul

Reesh

Post by Reesh » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:04 am

Hey Paul, thanks for the reply!

The super tornado is great! I just installed it yesterday as a matter of fact. I never realised just how much sound my old PSU used to make (it was an emergency $30 case/300W Austin power supply that I bought at Microcenter two months ago when my old PSU died). Currently the loudest component in my system is the stock HSF that came with the Athlon XP 1600+. Even if I put my ear up to the PSU on the back, all I can hear is the CPU HSF! Plus the active PFC is a big bonus with the super tornado (save me some money on my electric bill :)

With regard to the motherboard the AN7 is appealing because of the soundstorm and hardware decoding like you already mentioned. However, I have read that it is just an OK motherboard as people have had difficulty with it. I'm still debating between the AN7 and the DFI Infinity (the CMOS switching utility seems incredible!) With a program like 8rdavcore you don't even need to reboot! It automatically adjusts the FSB/Vcore settings in Windows depending on how much CPU power you are using! I'm not sure if it can adjust CPU multipliers as well, that is something I have to look into.

If you will definetely be playing games and want to use the optical out to the receiver, I would still consider the AN7 with an SI-97 and a 92mm Nexus fan. Even running it at 1.6 Vcore I bet you will get minimal noise using the nexus fan. Me presonally I want silence, but I don't need it to be completely noiseless! My new apt will have lots of ambient sounds anyway (in manhattan) so I'm just looking for something which will be below the ambient noise level.

The LC01 is a nice case and something that I am definetely looking into. I'm debating between getting a desktop case like the LC01 or just ditching the idea and settling for a Antec SLK3000B. Sure it's a midtower, but the all black styling and drive door makes it fairly un-noticeable (I've ditched the idea of getting one of those "gamer" style cases too).

As far as CPU HSF, you might want to look into the SI-97, especially if you are interested in passive cooling. The only issue I see with this HS is the high clearance which might interfere with positioning of the PSU in the LC01 case. Otherwise in a mid-ATX case like the SLK3000B I have a good feeling that an undervolted XP-M can be passively cooled as this HS will sit right below the PSU. Again I would check to see if this HS will fit in an LC01.

As fas as running two sound cards at the same time, I'm not sure if it is possible, but I think if the IRQs are free it should be possible. Most programs seem to let you choose which sound decoder you want to use. I don't think you can run both simultaneously, but I was thinking of switching to the Santa Cruz for analogs to my ghetto Z-640s 8) and switching to the onboard for optical out to my receiver (I currently don't have any speakers of my own, currently using my roommates speakers which will be gone once I move :( I will probably end up upgrading to the Audigy 2 zs in a few months when I start putting my speakers together, so I won't need either the onboard sound or my santa cruz .

Sorry for the loooong post but I see we are both in the same boat, and it's great to have a forum like this where we can exchange our ideas :)

paulrb

Post by paulrb » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:57 am

Thanks for the suggestion about the SI-97, but I'm worried it just won't fit in the LC01. Take a look at how close the PSU is to the m/b in this pic:

http://www.fastlanehw.com/reviews/61/img14.jpg

I live on top of a moor in Yorkshire. Usually the loudest things are the wind and the sheep. That's why I'm really going for quiet. I was considering a fanless PSU, but people said I would have airflow problems in the LC01. Thanks for the feedback on the super tornado - I'm pretty sure its the one for me.

Getting really quiet means really low power, hence my choice of NF7-S over the AN7. The AN7 doesn't go low enough to match the stock voltage of an XP-M. But the NF7-S does, and it has soundstorm and optical out. I think 8rdavcore works with NF7-S, but not with AN7 at the moment.

I don't understand why you need the CMOS switching utility of the DFI, if you're going to use 8rdavcore anyway.

Cost is not a big issue for me. If I could get soundstorm on a Athlon 64 m/b or a separate card, I would be going 64-bit. But there's only one way to get 5.1 dolby digital encoding and that's an NForce 2 m/b, so 32-bits it is. Lots of other cards do DEcoding, but only soundstorm does ENcoding. And I've read that soundstorm offloads as much work from your CPU as any other soundcard, so its just as efficient.

As for digital sound quality, well perhaps there are some tiny differences, but I doubt I could hear them. If I went with Jordan's idea of a separate card, I would loose the 5.1 encoding for games and be forced to use analogue for that. That means more cables and hiss and buzz.

Please do avoid gaming cases - yuk!

The Aerocool HT-101 and similar Thermaltake models are like the SI-97, in that they have heatpipes and lots of fins. But they are vertical, so I'm hoping that they will fit OK with the PSU being so close. And the PSU fan will help to cool them, I hope, so passive cooling may just be possible. After all, at 1.45V, the XP-M 2500 only uses 45W.

Reesh

Post by Reesh » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:45 am

Paul, according to the undervoltable boards section:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =69&page=1

The AN7 can get down to 1.375 vcore. Where did you read about not being able to go down with the mobile 2500+ to 1.45?

paulrb

Post by paulrb » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:37 am

Oops! I think I have got myself confused, haven't I...

I think I must have been thinking of getting an XP-M 2400+, which run at 1.35V, so the AN7 wouldn't have quite gone low enough.

But I've had no luck whatsoever finding a 1.35V model anywhere, so I switched to the 1.45V 2500+. By that time I had mentally discounted the AN7.

Well then its time for me to reconsider...

Thanks for putting me right!

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:28 pm

if the socket isn't too close to the edge of the mobo, the heatsink should fit.

freka586

Post by freka586 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:01 am

paulrb, any updates?

What's your latest take on CPU cooler/HS fitting the LC01 + Seasonic PSU?

About that Seasonic Super Tornade, I was under the impression that only Rev.02 was available in EU?
Is that the one you use, and is your setup cool enough to prevent it from revving up when you play a movie or something?

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:01 am

Rev. 2 is the one with the bad fan controller... Rev. 1 and Rev. 3, 3 better than 1, are the ones to pick up ideally.

paulrb

Post by paulrb » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:25 pm

Hi Freka586,

Yes, the build has begun.

Just to test all the components I had so far were working, I slapped together what I had with other spare parts from old machines.

So...
NF7-S still has its northbridge fan
XP-M 2500 has an AMD stock cooler that came originally with an XP 2000, 5,100 rpm
PSU is an old/cheap Sparkle with single 80mm fan
16x black slot-loading panasonic DVD-ROM drive

Result....
Sounds like a combine harvester!!!!

But...
It all works. So next phase is all about quietening down. Hope to find time this weekend to fit the Zalman passive northbridge cooler.

I've also found an interesting piece of kit. Its an air duct kit meant to take cold air direct from intake fan at front of case and blow it directly down onto CPU heatsink. I'm going to try shortening it (there's a flexible fabric covered tube part) and attach to the exhaust fan at the back of the case instead of the front. This will pull warm air from cpu heatsink straight out of the back of the case, I hope. I'll have to keep a close eye on cpu temps while I'm testing.

The really great news is that the CPU passes POST, boots into windows and plays a DVD movie right through at only 1.33V! This is at stock speed of 133 x 14 = 1866MHz, I didn't have to underclock. I haven't really stressed it yet, though.

I took loads of pics while I was building it and had some strange difficulties with the floppy drive. I'd like to find time to write it all up when I can.

Trip,

That rumour about only getting rev 2 tornados has put me off buying a new PSU until I know what I'm getting. None of the (2) dealers I have found in UK state which revision they have.

Paul

freka586

Post by freka586 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:04 pm

The problem with the Seasonics are that I am fairly sure that Rev.3 are not sold *at all* outside the US.
Since Rev.1 was replaced with the (crappier) Rev.2, this is the one that is available in the rest of the world, basically.

I read somewhere that for fairly cool systems one can disable the temperature sensor that forces the fan to speedup.
Instead one could run it at a low, constant RPM.
It would require fairly low case temps though, IIRC.

Paulrb, do you have any URLs to that air duct kit, and maybe those loads of pics?
Pics without comments/writing would do fine for the moment!

Any new guesses on fitting CPU coolers such as SI-97, Zalmans etc?

paulrb

Post by paulrb » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:09 pm

Here you go...

http://www.weisan.com.tw/Product_detail ... ID=1000312

I'll have to find some space to upload pics somewhere, maybe at the weekend.

paulrb

Details of build so far...

Post by paulrb » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:19 pm