Quiet sub-$3k build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ces

Re: Quiet sub-$3k build

Post by ces » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:05 pm

Kisakuku wrote:Given equal linear velocity of the blade tips, the ratio of angular velocities of the tips is the inverse of the ratio of the radii. So the blade tips of a 700RPM 180mm fan move as fast as the blade tips of a 1050RPM 120mm fan.
I calculated 180 squared divided by 120 squared to get the 2.25 ratio. Using the old pi R squared formula (with pi canceling itself out of the equation).

My error. That is for area, not circumference.

Still, the general proposition remains valid: You really need to slow a 180mm fan down if you want to run it quiet.

Kisakuku

Post by Kisakuku » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:47 pm

Posted couple pictures in the gallery.

slagcoin

Post by slagcoin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi, I had been putting together a build remarkably similar to this build. And then I found this post and it has given me quite a few tips. Build is still in progress.

One new suggestion is perhaps the Prolimatech Genesis recently reviewed on this site. I think it would fit well in this build (replacing the SilverArrow), sliding between the RAM and VRM cooler. It would perhaps cool the CPU better, and bring air flow to the RAM, and better air flow through the VRM cooler.

Kisakuku

Post by Kisakuku » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:47 am

slagcoin wrote:Hi, I had been putting together a build remarkably similar to this build. And then I found this post and it has given me quite a few tips. Build is still in progress.

One new suggestion is perhaps the Prolimatech Genesis recently reviewed on this site. I think it would fit well in this build (replacing the SilverArrow), sliding between the RAM and VRM cooler. It would perhaps cool the CPU better, and bring air flow to the RAM, and better air flow through the VRM cooler.
Genesis doesn't seem like a logical cooling solution for a P67 build. You can't overclock the RAM by much, it really doesn't need any more cooling than the passive heat spreaders and the airflow from the 180mm FT02 case fan provide. It might make more sense for the upcoming Z68 / X79 mobos though.

slagcoin

Post by slagcoin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:00 am

So I guess you would not suggest using an 80mm fan on the VRM?

And have you found any solution to making the stock base FT02 fans quieter? Do you think buying three FM181 fans would work, or maybe cost too much ($78)?

Kisakuku

Post by Kisakuku » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:44 pm

slagcoin wrote:So I guess you would not suggest using an 80mm fan on the VRM?

And have you found any solution to making the stock base FT02 fans quieter? Do you think buying three FM181 fans would work, or maybe cost too much ($78)?
G2 VRM cooler is mostly limited by the quality of its thermal interface with the VRMs, it gets more than adequate airflow from the case fan.

I quieted down AP181s by plugging them into mobo fan headers and running them at 600 rpm.